BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: TPD (Thumbs Per Day) - what's your daily average? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a couple of threads and lists lately that invited users to compare the amount of thumbs given to thumbs received. I've come up with a different take on this by looking at a related statistic: the average thumbs you give and receive per day.

For example, here are my average TPDs:
Thumbs Given (15708) ÷ BGG age (1834 days)= 8.6 TPD Given
Thumbs Received (61037) ÷ BGG age (1834 days) = 33.3 TPD Received

So what is your daily average? I've created a list that explains how to calculate it - contribute your TPDs on this GeekList to earn some more thumbs, and maybe even some GeekGold!

On the Giving & Receiving of Thumbs: What's your Daily Average?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/53812

Why do you give and receive thumbs?

Edit: Someone pointed out that to be fair, the "BGG Age" for calculating TPDs for accounts that existed before thumbs were implemented should commence from the date thumbs were first used on the site, rather than the date those accounts were registered.

Does anyone know the date that thumbs were first implemented on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs Given (14211) ÷ BGG age (798 days)= 17.8 TPD Given
Thumbs Received (18825) ÷ BGG age (798 days) = 23.6 TPD Received
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
EndersGame wrote:
Why do you give and receive thumbs?

I don't give thumbs as I can find no reason to. I don't know why I receive thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Primary reason I give thumbs is signaling agreement with someone in a discussion about fact. When someone answers a rules question it seems worthwhile to make clear that yes, the responder is correct. Rather than having someone else come along and state the exact opposite and confuse the matter. And using thumbs seems more effective and less annoying than posting "Me too" in the thread.

Like JC, I have no idea why I get thumbs. I always assumed it's because I'm so good looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I give thumbs for posts I enjoy/agree with or were well-written.

I assume I receive thumbs for basically these same reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jonnylawless wrote:

And how does anyone else tell the difference between those two cases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:

And how does anyone else tell the difference between those two cases?

Context usually. If someone is telling a joke, I'll thumb it if I think it's funny. If there is a back and forth debate I'll thumb things that I agree with, or occasionally things I don't agree with if the post has been well thought out and written.

There are no hard rules, but generally a thumb from me means "well done."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jonnylawless wrote:
If someone is telling a joke, I'll thumb it if I think it's funny. If there is a back and forth debate I'll thumb things that I agree with, or occasionally things I don't agree with if the post has been well thought out and written.

And for a post which is all three, or some undefined subset (as many posts appear to be)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:
If someone is telling a joke, I'll thumb it if I think it's funny. If there is a back and forth debate I'll thumb things that I agree with, or occasionally things I don't agree with if the post has been well thought out and written.

And for a post which is all three, or some undefined subset (as many posts appear to be)?

Then I shoot from the hip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Edit: Someone pointed out that to be fair, the "BGG Age" for calculating TPDs for accounts that existed before thumbs were implemented should commence from the date thumbs were first used on the site, rather than the date those accounts were registered.

Does anyone know the date that thumbs were first implemented on BGG?

July 25, 2005
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.