Hide
10 Posts

Ambush!» Forums » General

Subject: No play summaries? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I get a new game I always head to the file section and print out any play summaries posted there. I find them invaluable in helping to learn the game as well as a useful reminder for future plays.

For a game as old as Ambush! I was sure there would be a good choice, but there aren't any! Not one single player aid, crib sheet or play summary.

Is there a reason for that - is the game just too complex?

Or is the rulebook considered to be so good that a play summary isn't needed?

Or perhaps there is a stash of them somewhere I'm not aware of....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are you looking for something like a flowchart? I agree, that would help beginners to learn the game, but it's also a bit of work, especially for a war game.

But yes, the rulebook is very well written and has almost no gaps.

By the way, Avalon Hill had Ambush rated as 5 on its 10-point complexity scale. It definitely contains an innovative game systems, which takes some time to wrap ones head around. But it also was very popular; even won the CSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have one that I've been using for some time now. I can upload it, but I'm not sure my summary will be intelligible without already knowing the game. Anyway, I'll upload it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waaaay back when I was playing the game I was young enough to be able to remember how to play with the occasional rulebook reference. Now, I am old enough to wonder what the topic of this post was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Loquitur that's really good of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Waaaay back when I was playing the game I was young enough to be able to remember how to play with the occasional rulebook reference. Now, I am old enough to wonder what the topic of this post was?

Indeed, I'm wondering if I've left it too late!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TracyB wrote:
Is there a reason for that - is the game just too complex?

When we were playing Ambush in the mid 1980s, most people didn't own computers, or have internet access. Those who did have computers were probably using them in CGA mode, with near-zero graphic capability, and if they owned a printer, it was almost certainly dot matrix.

People churning out full color graphic player aids is a new phenomenon. If we got anything like that in those days, it came from a magazine, or through the mail from a game publisher.

Yes, I've got player aids I made in some of my old games, but they are pencil on graph paper, or typewritten, etc. The world is a very different place than it was when Ambush! was released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
The play summary on the back of the paragraph book is more than adequate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My summary is uploaded, but not yet visible. This is something I created for myself, and I didn't attempt to make it user-friendly for others. I can tell that some portions are so succinct as to be indecipherable. But oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
The play summary on the back of the paragraph book is more than adequate.

I use that one as a guide to, and find it sufficient for my needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.