Subject: Encounters at Castle Dracula rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Assalander
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played my first game of FoD last night and it was a blast! Although it was a strange game (I, Dracula, started in Ireland, moved to Spain despite the host in Saragossa, then went back to Ireland, and won at the end of the second night thanks to 2 matured vampires and a suicidal Mina, after an epic fight which I provoked whistle ), and we did many mistakes (both strategically, and overlooked or misinterpreted rules), of course.

There are some points of rule that I'm still not sure about though:

_ The rules specifically state you can't plant an encounter at Castle Dracula. But what if you hide there? And if you move it to the catacombs?

_ How does "presse à scandale" work exactly? Yeah I know I've given the french name, I don't know the original one. It is that Drac's encounter card that allow him to not reveal a location that was about to be revealed by an event card. Obviously, for the card to be effective, Dracula doesn't have to SAY the location that can't be revealed ? He just states "a card on my trail was about to be revealed, so I play this card, and it's not"? Does it work this way, and on both Scouts, Newspaper Reports, and Hypnosis? In this last case, I guess Drac would still have to state where he'll go next? (so wasting this card against Hypnosis would be silly, but still legal by the rules?)

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)

I believe that you have no choice about gaining blood at Castle D, so hiding there is pretty obvious. Or maybe it is illegal to Hide at the castle? I don't exactly recall. But if you do hide, I can't think of a reason why the encounter wouldn't hit the hunters if they followed you. That said, Hide is not a location, so can't go the catacombs. Once Castle D drops off the trail, Hide immediately drops off with the location.

2)

Cards like newspaper reports and scouts say to reveal (flip) and location. You are essentially right that playing the card ("False Rumors?") prevents that effect. I don't remember Hypnosis well enough, but if you can find the English text, it should be clear how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Assalander
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your answers.

However about the 1), I meant if you put Castle D into the catacombs when it drops off the trail, can you put an encounter in front of it (thus Hunters will have to face one encounter here, but not two) ? I would say yes, but... I guess it won't happen often anyway, as Hunters have not grat incentives to go to Castle D if D is not there. But I suppose that if you want to prepare a final confrontation there you could :

_ Go there
_ Leave, move and use powers until Castle D drops off your trail
_ Put it in the catacombs, with one encounter
_ When it's time, go back to Castle D using the "double back" power.

In such circumstances, when you move Castle D back to your trail, can you keep on it the encounter you placed when putting it in the catacombs, or is it discarded because under no circumstances can there be an encounter ON the card ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra encounter in the catacombs never comes back when the location returns to the trail.

I was wrong, see rule quote below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Assalander
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually with a normal location (not Castle D), it can. The rules state that D get to choose ONE of the two encounters that are on the location. So you can discard the original encounter that was on the location and keep the extra "catacomb" one instead if you wish to do so.

Let me quote the "double-back" section:

"If the location had an encounter on it, he
keeps the encounter on that location, but if
the location came from the Catacombs, he
may only keep one, not both, of the encounters.
He chooses which encounter to keep,
and the other is returned to his encounter
pool. Dracula does not does not place a
new encounter on this location."

But with Castle D, that's another issue. I wonder if anyone has any clue about this. Could be fun though to "prepare" Castle D by putting it in the catacombs so that if you ever need it, you can go there again and have an encounter with you devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are my inferences from the rules which say the following

Page 24 wrote:
• Dracula’s Location card for Castle
Dracula is double-sided, so Dracula automatically
reveals his location whenever
he moves there and cannot place
encounters
while there.

The rules say nothing about not being able to play hide when at Castle Dracula, so I assume the card can be played, however the rules are specific that you can't place encounters while you are there which would include when hiding. As you are normally required to play an encounter, the fact that you do not will be noticed, so I would play Hide face up which is in keeping with the logic of the rules which indicate the Hunters have spies watching the Castle, so they will know if you did not leave.

Regarding the Catacombs/Double Back issue, I would say that the encounter you keep is the encounter placement for that turn. Therefore, as you can't place encounters when you are in Castle Dracula, the encounter from the catacombs would be discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Assalander
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with your point about hiding.

Not with your second unfortunately. The rules are very clear on the fact that you can keep the encounter from the catacombs and discard the initial encounter when you double-back on a catacomb location.

This is tricky because you can't place encounters while in Castle D, but when it falls into the catacombs you are technically not there, so the "cannot place encounters while there" do not necessarily apply. After all Dracula could overcome the Hunters' spies enough to set up a trap (or bring out minions) with careful planning (which is what catacombs are). And when you double-back to Castle D, you do not place an encounter, you just keep the one you put in the catacombs.

The rules should state that Hunters may never have to face an encounter in Castle D no matter what, if that was the intention. They doesn't, so it's not sure whether a cunning D could make this happen (not often, because you first need a good reason to go reveal at your castle near the beginning of the game in the first place, and then the opportunity to go back there at a good moment later).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the reason I said that they were inferences and although I would play the way I suggest, you are not of course obliged to.

Having said that, I would argue that the encounter placed when you send the card to the catacombs is actually placed on the square on the board rather than on the card, so if you later move the card back to the trail you have to take it off the board and place it on the card. For normal locations this would be perfectly OK, but in the case of the Castle you would be explicitly forbidden from doing so while you are there (as you would be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Assalander
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes your way makes the most sense I think. But given the time the game was out, I'm surprised this question never rose and that we have no beginning of an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.