Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is at least partly inspired by MrBeanKC's recently updated geeklist, CDGs: A comprehensive list. I've recently tried Here I Stand after playing Twilight Struggle, so I'm gradually working my way up the CDG complexity scale. (I'm hoping to tackle Clash of Monarchs, Pursuit of Glory, and Stalin's War soon.)

When I played Here I Stand we started with four players but lost one midstream so I took over the Ottomans. I actually think the game improved with three (no fault to the Ottoman player). All three players then had plenty to do. Anyway, that experience got me wondering if there are any CDG's that play particularly well with three.

At three they would have to compete with Maria for playing time, which although not a CDG is about the same weight and time commitment. But it would be nice to have a second game at that player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:
This question is at least partly inspired by MrBeanKC's recently updated geeklist, CDGs: A comprehensive list. I've recently tried Here I Stand after playing Twilight Struggle, so I'm gradually working my way up the CDG complexity scale. (I'm hoping to tackle Clash of Monarchs, Pursuit of Glory, and Stalin's War soon.)

When I played Here I Stand we started with four players but lost one midstream so I took over the Ottomans. I actually think the game improved with three (no fault to the Ottoman player). All three players then had plenty to do. Anyway, that experience got me wondering if there are any CDG's that play particularly well with three.

At three they would have to compete with Maria for playing time, which although not a CDG is about the same weight and time commitment. But it would be nice to have a second game at that player count.

Sturm Europa! will be out before the end of the year and going to be a great 3-player CDG. Of course I'm a bit biased...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Parker
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Napoleonic Wars plays best with three.

I have played Sword of Rome with 3 and it works fine, but not its sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Wellington

The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) is OK with 3 - but best with 5 - with 3, the dynamic of Open Diplomacy and a potential for a divided coalition is mostly missing.

It does play well though, especially if you don't like it when players change sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Monarchs would probably play well with three, assuming you could get three people to commit to enough time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Wellington gives the player controlling two powers a strong advantage, so...if I were to play it, and I'm not that crazy about it...I'd prefer it with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think 3 is the sweet spot for Here I Stand.

With 6, the players need to be experienced or there's a metric buttload of down time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Successors (third edition) plays well with three. its better with the designed for 4, but three is pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big GMT three-Here I Stand, Clash of Monarchs, and the Napoleonic Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
Successors (third edition) plays well with three. its better with the designed for 4, but three is pretty good.

It is ok with 3 at best IMO, but it isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

I would think Nappy Wars would be a bit better with 3 but I haven't played it with that many so I may be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buse
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Napoleonic Wars

You do lose some of the diplomacy and alliance dynamics, but you can make a good case that the 3-player game is the best version (and probably the most balanced). It's my 3-player game of choice in an uncrowded field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Successors (third edition)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brice Feal
United States
Endwell
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the same type of CDG, but Frederich and Maria are very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bricus wrote:
Not quite the same type of CDG, but Frederich and Maria are very good.
Close enough for government work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I Stand works quite well with three, two powers per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totaler Krieg! is made for three. But it is big and not a true CDG in the sense of Paths of Glory or For the People.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
Maria is a great three player wargame! You might also want to consider Kutuzov: The War in Russia 1812 as it is made for 2–4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Successors is MUCH better with four players. Three leaves WAY too much empty space on the board and makes for a dull game, but four is a LOT of fun. (Again, not to harp on it, but I cannot stress how bad Wellington is with three...and to be perfectly honest, it's not that much better with four.)

Agreed that Maria and Friedrich play very well with three (Maria was specifically designed as a 3-player), as are a lot of WWI games: Totaler Krieg being the one card-based version I know. Never played it, but I also keep hearing, as demonstrated above, that if you can't get six, three is the second best (by far) option for Here I Stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nolan Guthrie
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
It is a wargame!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I prefer Nappy with two or three but not four. With four the Austrian player is usually not going to be able to do much in the second turn since he will usually be conquered. With three the Austrian player still gets to do stuff with Russia on the second turn.
Nolan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.