Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the collective noun for a lot of German soldiers, intent on overrunning your positions? I'm sure you thought that the title was referring to what happened to the Germans this game. If only it were so!

I played the hapless Americans this game. Randy took the Germans. And, in their teams, squads, platoons and slaughters, they came to get me.

Of course, holding the following hand, I didn't realise what was to come. I mean, this hand says, "Watch out, Germans! You're going to get some American Steel!"

So, I set up somewhat aggressively, placing several squads of American forces in the northern orchards, ready to repel the German advance and cause bloody havoc on any who came close to taking the farmhouse my men had paid much blood to take.

There was just one problem with this plan: it was bollocks! These troops weren't effective at firing at the Germans, but the Germans were really effective at firing at them. The hedges also screened Randy's approach down the left-hand side of the map, although the first troop to reach the hedge discovered how scary my machine-guns could be.

It became obvious that I needed to retreat my men out of the death-trap orchard. Unfortunately, it wasn't obvious to them. Where were my Move and Advance cards?

The loss of my forward leader to German fire was devastating: now, even if I had the cards to move my troops out, it was going to be one at a time. Not that they were getting the chance. Randy was gaining great positional superiority on the right, and gathered his forces on the left for a better push later.

My men finally started to shoot accurately, and Randy started to lose men in the Orchard. I also managed to play a Rout card to get rid of some of his troops, but his losses were minor compared to the forces still at his disposal. A Walking Wounded event returned my leader to the fray... in the midst of the German lines! I grabbed an objective when I could, but I knew I couldn't hold it and "retreated" north. Alas, no Exit VPs this game, and anyone exiting the map would be eliminated! One of the few times I could have used the rule to my advantage, and a SSR had stopped me!

The next stage of the game was not pretty. Randy was pounding me with artillery, and his men flooded into the orchard - taking out my leader (again) on the way. I did get some reinforcements - a LMG nest - which I placed looking along the road.

Unfortunately, snipers, Air Strikes and huge combined fire eliminated my force in the farm house, and the way was clear for Randy to get the big VP award of the game. At this point, the scenario was pure torture for my Americans, but there was still a few turns left!

As might be expected, Randy met minimal resistance as he advanced into the farmhouse. My machine-gun nest by the southern-centre VP position was able deny Randy access, and finally Randy had a lot of troops break as he approached those southern MG nests, but I wasn't able to eliminate them. We had a few rounds of break-rally-break-rally before finally Time was called on the sorry battlefield. Yes, I'd stopped Randy from getting all the objectives, but he hardly needed them.

The battlefield was strewn with corpses, and the German national anthem rang in the air. This had been a commanding performance from Randy; aided greatly by my optimistic placement of the troops in the orchard. They really hadn't slowed him down enough, and had gifted him with some easy VPs and reduced my ability to challenge him in the farmhouse.

Final score: 25 points in Randy's Germans favour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Surely no one can fault you for your aggressive early placement while looking at a hand of cards like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lest anyone be confused, you DID set up BEFORE you drew your hand, correct? (It appear so as I see units on the board behind your hand...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Lest anyone be confused, you DID set up BEFORE you drew your hand, correct? (It appear so as I see units on the board behind your hand...)

Yes. I tend to forget the order when thinking about it later, though.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up! I'm playing CC:E this Monday and I think we'll try this scenario for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough map, too. It's either "Can't see the enemy" or "pour the fire in!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.