Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Protocon (Day 2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't go to day 1 of protocon due to parking costs, but I did take advantage of Saturday as I had to run a game of heroscape. When I got there, I was hoping to see the Steve Jackson Demo monkey for freebies, but he wasn't there.

I wound up sitting in on a playtest for a game called spy ring. It is an intriguing "screw your neighbor" card game similar to Killer Bunnies and Naval War where you are a world power trying to build a network of spies, nations and leaders. It is an interesting game, and I sincerely hope it gets printed, but you can clearly see the rough edges on the game still.

After the playtest, we had a pick up game of Naval War (with a nice laminated set...mental note, must lamanate my Naval War set).

After Naval War, my time slot opened and I ran two games of Heroscape. It was enjoyed by all. The first game was a 5 player "king of the hill" mission using the "cave" scenario from the basic set with set 200pt armies. The second game was a "capture the flag" mission using the same layout. There were two flags, and the winner was the person who had both flags at the end of a turn. Again, this was a five player game, but this time we drafted 300pts. The second game was much more enjoyable and was a very tight game.

My wife then came by and took my friend Justin and I to dinner at Golden Corral. When we returned, we went through the games we brought (I brought Goa, TtR, Flying Carpet, Andromeda/ Justin brought Das Amulet, Alladins Dragons, Wizards, Great Dalmuti, Carcassonne (w/ inns & cathedrals), Vampire, Fluxx, Formula Motor Racing, Too many cooks, San Juan, Hack & Slash). While trying to figure something out, we decided to join a pickup game of Munchkin.

I didn't care for Munchkin before, but after learning how to play correctly, it is actually a quite pleasant game, and I wouldn't mind playing again (or getting expansions for that matter).

Afterwards, we started a pick up game of Carcassonne, which we played twice (WITHOUT THE RIVER). My friend says the river "removes strategy from the game". After the second game we called it a night (3:35 am).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.