Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: 3 new powers: Charismatic, Diseased, Welfare Recipient rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
c5737 5737
msg tools
Charismatic (5) - Each turn (once per opponent) you may use your charisma to persuade a target adjacent player to abandon any region (of your choosing) under the control of their active race. They immediately remove all tokens and redistrubute them at the end or your turn. You may conquer this region at -1. Regions not affected by special powers are immune to this effect.

Diseased (5) - At the begining of your turn, add one diseased token to your race card. Additionally roll a reinforcement die and add the corresponding number of diseased tokens to your race card. If at the begining of any turn you have 5 disease tokens, your race must immediately go into decline. If at any time your race has 10 tokens they are removed from the map.

If you are attacked by a non-diseased opponent, they must roll a reinforcement die and add the corresponding number of disease tokens to their race. Once diseased, they follow the rules on this power as though they were diseased.

Each time you attack a non-diseased opponent, roll a reinforcement die and add the corresponding number of tokens to that players race card. That race is now considered diseased.

This power is active in decline.

Welfare recipient(4) - Each turn that you do nothing (no attacks), collect welfare (3 victory coins). Additionally place a baby token on a conquerable territory under your control. At the end of your turn collect 1 victory coin per baby token in play. At the begining of any turn that you have 4 baby tokens in play, you must go into decline immediately. Collect one coin per baby token, and one coin from each adjacent player that has more territories than you do (redistribution of wealth). Continue to collect one victory coin per baby token when in decline. If a territory containing baby tokens is conquered discard baby tokens.

Would love suggestions and help with the artwork.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charismatic sounds interesting. Just for clarification are you saying you need to be adjacent to a territory of that player's active race but you could ask them to abandon one of their regions that's not adjacent to you?

I think Diseased sounds too complicated to administer when you start infecting other races as well. I would just limit the effect to them and stick with the 5 token must decline threshold, forget the 10 token removed from map. Yes it's going to be viewed as a negative power so will likely be skipped a few times and build up coins but if someone can make it work for them within the variable decline timelimit it may still be viable choice.

Welfare recipient is more of a modern day concept so just doesn't fit the period and I don't think many people will like the idea of conquering regions containing babies which are then eliminated as a result. Doesn't make a for light hearted family friendly game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:

Welfare recipient is more of a modern day concept so just doesn't fit the period and I don't think many people will like the idea of conquering regions containing babies which are then eliminated as a result. Doesn't make a for light hearted family friendly game.


The conquering race adopts the child and gives it what it needs! Thus, it no longer affects the Welfare race! laugh

Yojimbo252 wrote:

Welfare recipient is more of a modern day concept so just doesn't fit the period.


Correct, Welfare occurred far after the period in our history when Elves, Trolls and Ghouls roamed the Earth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c5737 5737
msg tools
you could change the well fare one to impoverished, or poor.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
C5737 wrote:
you could change the well fare one to impoverished, or poor.

Still doesn't change the fact that there is simply no notion of benefits in the period that the game covers.

Can you picture a whole bunch of orcs standing in a line outside a local government office waiting for their welfare payments?

(Jim eagerly awaits a poster to upload a cartoon image)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c5737 5737
msg tools
on the contrary... during the medieval ages the church did a great deal to help the poor... it was called alms giving among other things. Even in Roman times there were systems in place to take care of the less fortunate. Prior to that there was a great deal of charity in biblical times.

check out this quote from a history book:

"While the twelfth century witnessed a significant expansion of support [4] for the needy, particularly in the form of hospices, hostels, and hospitals in towns and along pilgrim routes, charity retained some of the ritualistic character of the early Middle Ages. To a degree aid remained indiscriminate, dispensed equally to all who happened by. This is especially apparent in the development of the network of hospices along the way of Saint James and other pilgrimage routes. Perhaps the best evidence that we have for the poor as a kind of religious abstraction is found in the wills of this era. These testaments often provide that, after all bequests have been paid out and claims against the estate resolved, the residue would go the "poor of Christ" as universal heirs." -CHARITY AND WELFARE:
HOSPITALS AND THE POOR IN MEDIEVAL CATALONIA

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diseased and Welfare are too complicated.

Charismatic sounds awfully powerful. They have to abandon AND you can take it for 1 less? It highly negates defensive positioning and guarantees you 1 token conquests.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
C5737 wrote:
on the contrary... during the medieval ages the church did a great deal to help the poor... it was called alms giving among other things. Even in Roman times there were systems in place to take care of the less fortunate. Prior to that there was a great deal of charity in biblical times....

The period I'm referring to which the game covers is the fantasy/middle earth period, not medieval. The idea of Orcs or Skeletons receiving charity just doesn't sit right with me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
C5737 wrote:
on the contrary... during the medieval ages the church did a great deal to help the poor... it was called alms giving among other things. Even in Roman times there were systems in place to take care of the less fortunate. Prior to that there was a great deal of charity in biblical times....

The period I'm referring to which the game covers is the fantasy/middle earth period, not medieval. The idea of Orcs or Skeletons receiving charity just doesn't sit right with me.


You're OK with them being Merchants, though?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
Yojimbo252 wrote:
C5737 wrote:
on the contrary... during the medieval ages the church did a great deal to help the poor... it was called alms giving among other things. Even in Roman times there were systems in place to take care of the less fortunate. Prior to that there was a great deal of charity in biblical times....

The period I'm referring to which the game covers is the fantasy/middle earth period, not medieval. The idea of Orcs or Skeletons receiving charity just doesn't sit right with me.


You're OK with them being Merchants, though?

Lol, do you know I was thinking a similar thing last night with Historian Orcs sitting in their arm chairs with a pipe and good book.

Ok I'm going to do a 180 on this one but suggest it go more down the route of 'alms for the poor' so how about 'Begging' rather than 'Welfare Recipient'?

I don't know what the mechanics should be but I'd feel more comfortable if it didn't involve babies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Yojimbo252 wrote:
C5737 wrote:
on the contrary... during the medieval ages the church did a great deal to help the poor... it was called alms giving among other things. Even in Roman times there were systems in place to take care of the less fortunate. Prior to that there was a great deal of charity in biblical times....

The period I'm referring to which the game covers is the fantasy/middle earth period, not medieval. The idea of Orcs or Skeletons receiving charity just doesn't sit right with me.


You're OK with them being Merchants, though?

Lol, do you know I was thinking a similar thing last night with Historian Orcs sitting in their arm chairs with a pipe and good book.

Ok I'm going to do a 180 on this one but suggest it go more down the route of 'alms for the poor' so how about 'Begging' rather than 'Welfare Recipient'?

I don't know what the mechanics should be but I'd feel more comfortable if it didn't involve babies.


Yeah, I'm not enamored of the concept either. I just thought your comment was funny.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c5737 5737
msg tools
i made some art for the welfare" power changing it to impoverished. I wasn't sure how to link it here though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Impoverished is a good choice of name.

You can upload the images to your GeekGallery, create a post then click the 'Insert Geek Image' button (camera) and enter the GeekGallery image id.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.