Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Prestige-Trade reminder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hannu Pajula
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is not a rule question, but more of an reminder. Prestige-Trade also provides double VP:s.

Brink of War rulebook, pg.5 wrote:
Prestige Bonus
Consume: Trade
Sell a good, drawing 3 additional cards; then consume any remaining goods doubling the number of VP chips received (as the Consume +x1 bonus applies) and, optionally, discard up to two cards from your hand for 1 VP apiece.

It is easy to overlook this rule if you only look at the Prestige/Search action card and the symbols on Trade [$] row. We didn't notice this until I got my own set yesterday and decided to read the rules thoroughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh really? Wow. I wonder why it's not reflected on the $ line of the card.

Or is it that choosing $ also triggers the Prestige action for IV? Would choosing the Prestige IV allow you to use the $ power as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Place the Consume-Trade action card next to the Prestige opportunity card; note that both the Trade and the Consume actions are "lit up"; therefore, both the $ and IV lines take effect.

Now, place the Consume-2x action card next to the Prestige opportunity card; note that only the Consume action is lit up; therefore, just the IV line takes effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Never would I have thought of this. The card seemed pretty self explanatory to me before.

Just wondering on the balance of the powers on the Prestige/Search card, it seems to me that some powers give more than others. And if someone decides to use the Search option, wouldn't he be at a disadvantage compared to someone who did not need the search and is able to use one of the stronger powers on the Prestige bit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
And if someone decides to use the Search option, wouldn't he be at a disadvantage compared to someone who did not need the search and is able to use one of the stronger powers on the Prestige bit?

Yes but that slight disadvantage may be worth it if it turns a hopeless hand/situation into one with hope/outs. Also note that the prestige action costs a prestige; which you may not even have in some games as well. So, search is not automatically inferior, both are situational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
crushedguava wrote:
And if someone decides to use the Search option, wouldn't he be at a disadvantage compared to someone who did not need the search and is able to use one of the stronger powers on the Prestige bit?

Yes but that slight disadvantage may be worth it if it turns a hopeless hand/situation into one with hope/outs. Also note that the prestige action costs a prestige; which you may not even have in some games as well. So, search is not automatically inferior, both are situational.

Wait. You are implying that Search does not cost a prestige?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
Wait. You are implying that Search does not cost a prestige?!

Indeed.

See the compiled info thread:

- An additional action card (Prestige/Search) for each player, which can be used once per game.

It has 2 possible uses:

- provides a large bonus to the regular action you select (requires a Prestige point to be spent)
- search for a card of a specific type (from one of 9 specified criteria)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book also explicitly states that "search" can be used at the beginning of the first round - before it is possible to have any prestige.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.