Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrononauts is the board game of time travel, where players take on the role of a time traveler attempting to either correct the timeline to his future or to collect sufficient number of cards / artifacts for his benefactor. To do so, he jumps through time and adjusts the timeline; attempting to finish before his competitors. A fun time-traveling game, Chrononauts is great to carry around in your bag as it'll play from 1 to 8 players.

Appearance : The new 2009 Edition of Chrononauts comes in a larger solid cardboard box, with space in both sides for the cards. As a pure card game, the card stock is heavy and will certainly stand up to repeated use. In addition, graphics are very simple (if cute) and representative of the various artifacts available. I do like how the symbols on the cards indicate all the major actions required; meaning that you rarely have to refer to the small rulebook. Overall, I'd say it's appearances are adequate but not great.

Rules / Ease of Learning: Chrononauts is actually pretty easy to learn to play. You lay out the timeline on a board, with specific years showcasing major events (linchpin events) and flux points in a grid format. You then receive a hand of cards to use during the game as well as your character. Your character will have a specific alternate timeline (always 1 'real' event and 2 'patched' events) which he is attempting to return to. You'll also return a goal card, that indicates the artifacts you are trying to recover.

Play continues in a simple 'draw 1, play 1' format. the strategy of the game comes in the types of cards you draw and play, from flipping specific linchpin years to change history (for that year and all other linked event years) to collecting / stealing artifacts or even 'patching' the timeline. I should note that patching the timeline is a very good thing, as it stops the universe from exploding from too many Paradoxes (13) as well as giving the players an extra card for doing the deed. That leads to the last method of winning - gaining `0 cards in hand.

Gameplay: I like Chrononauts a lot. It's fun, fast to teach and moderately quick to play. The fact that you can play solo or up to 8 players makes the game quite interesting, with strategies changing as you increase the number of players involved.

In addition, while gameplay is simple, there's a depth of strategy to it as you manage not only your hand but attempt to guess the goals of your opponents. Since everyone has 3 major methods of winning, 2 of which are hidden, it's important to keep an eye on these factors as well. On the other hand, Chrononauts is not an extremely difficult game to learn / play either, which makes is a good light-medium weight game to introduce to new gamers.

Conclusion: Chroonauts is a great card game - a continuously altering landscape / game board, hand management and multiple goals all make it a great unique card game that should be added to any players collection.

Tao
Starlit Citadel

Edited to fix rules error
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tired wrote:
I should note that patching the timeline is a very good thing, as it stops the universe from exploding from too many Paradoxes (8) as well as giving the players an extra card for doing the deed. That leads to the last method of winning - gaining 8 cards in hand.

In previous editions of Chrononauts, the Paradox Limit was 13, and the goal was 10 cards in hand. Are the numbers you use in your review new for the 2009 edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:
tired wrote:
I should note that patching the timeline is a very good thing, as it stops the universe from exploding from too many Paradoxes (8) as well as giving the players an extra card for doing the deed. That leads to the last method of winning - gaining 8 cards in hand.

In previous editions of Chrononauts, the Paradox Limit was 13, and the goal was 10 cards in hand. Are the numbers you use in your review new for the 2009 edition?

No, it's just bad memory. Edited. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
IS the reprint the same set of cards or did they include all of the promo/chase cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
IS the reprint the same set of cards or did they include all of the promo/chase cards?

Mostly same set - card count has gone up to 140 from 136. 1 promo card, 1 extra card of the same type and 2 new cards. Full details of version diff is here : http://wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Chrononauts/versions.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Chrononauts is the definitive light game. It has "fired" many other games already, to the point that I am suprised at how much i enjoy playing it. Cheap expansions, easy to teach, quick to play, lots of replay = win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.