Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Runners needed to activate Pt HQ? & Other related Command questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again,

I just re-read this, from 3.3.1 (Activation Segment) B: Company HQ Impulse:

"You may also activate a PLT HQ or CO Staff this impulse if it is on the same card as a runner in good order that was dispatched on a previous turn."

I don't see anything in the rules or errata to specifically indicate that the CO HQ can use the CO TAC Net field phones to activate a Plt HQ. Can it? I've been assuming that CO HQ can activate units that way, but maybe I'm wrong?

That leads me to ask, what are the phones for? I've been assuming that units on the same card, but under different cover markers, are not in communication with each other. But as I re-read the phone rules, I wonder if I'm wrong about this? Are the field phones designed to keep the Platoon HQ in contact with his men, so he can issue orders to them from different cover and/or cards if there's a phone line?

Again, thanks.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, you're completely "over-thinking" this...

Action 4.2.1a - Activate a subordinate HQ or Staff

That's how CO HQ or Staff activate subordinate HQs. Per 4.3, the originator and recipient of the action must be able to communicate with each other. The Co TAC Net provides such communications, and that's what the phones and radios are for. Visual-verbal communication could also be used.

I'm certain the examples of play back this up, as well as the example on page 10 (#6).

Now here's a wierd thought: could one use a pyro to trigger action 4.2.1a?? (e.g. activate all HQs?) That really doesn't seem to me to be in the spirit of how pyros should work, so I'm thinking that's not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the CO TAC phone can activate a PLT HQ

You can activate by:

Direct command - visual-verbal
Radio/Telephone
Runner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benhull wrote:
Yes the CO TAC phone can activate a PLT HQ

You can activate by:

Direct command - visual-verbal
Radio/Telephone
Runner

Oh thank goodness. So I will continue to assume, unless I hear differently, that the phones do not work for units of the platoon that are in separate cover. No need to reply unless I'm wrong about that.

Thanks,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
OK, you're completely "over-thinking" this...

Without question, that would not be the first time.

zhredder wrote:
Action 4.2.1a - Activate a subordinate HQ or Staff

That's how CO HQ or Staff activate subordinate HQs. Per 4.3, the originator and recipient of the action must be able to communicate with each other. The Co TAC Net provides such communications, and that's what the phones and radios are for. Visual-verbal communication could also be used.

I'm certain the examples of play back this up, as well as the example on page 10 (#6).

Yes, I was sure of that, but the way it reads in the rule made me wonder if I'd missed something. I seem to have a hard time linking the different rules sections in my mind as I read through. I'd forgotten about the examples of play.[/q]

zhredder wrote:
Now here's a wierd thought: could one use a pyro to trigger action 4.2.1a?? (e.g. activate all HQs?) That really doesn't seem to me to be in the spirit of how pyros should work, so I'm thinking that's not allowed.

I agree, that doesn't seem in the spirit. When I get finished reading and (I hope) understanding the rules, I'm going to start asking folks what kinds of commands they use pyro for. I'm only at the basic level there, shift fire, cease fire, etc. I'd like to get a list of what people's "favorite" and unusual uses for pyro signals have been so far.

Thanks again,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
So I will continue to assume, unless I hear differently, that the phones do not work for units of the platoon that are in separate cover. No need to reply unless I'm wrong about that.

Just to clarify: Phones do work in cover, but they only provide communication to other phones. They do NOT "automatically" allow a Plt HQ to communicate with members of the platoon in different cover, unless one of those platoon members also happens to have a phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
fatgreta wrote:
So I will continue to assume, unless I hear differently, that the phones do not work for units of the platoon that are in separate cover. No need to reply unless I'm wrong about that.

Just to clarify: Phones do work in cover, but they only provide communication to other phones. They do NOT "automatically" allow a Plt HQ to communicate with members of the platoon in different cover, unless one of those platoon members also happens to have a phone.

Right, I understand that now. I'm going to have a very different game the next time I play, and much more difficult I think, but it should be a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.