Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this variant up in a meeting at work. It’s a traitor variant similar to Shadow’s over Camelot.

This variant is meant to mimic the part in EVERY zombie movie where one of the survivors thinks he has a better chance of surviving if he is on his own. This person somehow screws over his team mates and makes a mad dash to safety. In every case though, the traitor gets munched on by a zombie or is nailed by a Hero before he makes it to safety.

The variant plays like this:
At the start of the game pull out as many Hero cards as there are players playing Hero’s (note I said players, not Hero’s, a person can have two traitor Hero’s working together). Toss out all gun cards if any, plus one extra card. Put a single gun card into this stack, shuffle it and hand one to each player, making sure that you don’t look at the results. Each player can then peek at their own card, the person with the gun card is the traitor. Return the cards face down and reshuffle the Hero deck.

The person with the traitor card will function as a typical member of the team for most of the game, the traitor can decide to screw over the team at any point in the game. The traitor can only win if they are the player with the last Hero (or Hero’s) left standing, they don’t need to complete a scenario; they just need to be the last Hero left. The traitor loses if the Hero’s achieve their scenario objectives.

The traitor has one special ability that can be played numerous times, they can seal anyone located in a building as long as the traitor is in the same building. The traitor can leave the building (but not re-enter) and zombies can enter and leave the building. The Hero or Hero’s trapped inside can only leave by playing a card that unlocks a door or allows them to escape via a window (once this happens the traitor can re-enter the building too). This is to mimic the typical zombie movie situation wherein the traitor always runs off just as the building is getting overrun but makes sure that no zombies (and Hero’s) can follow him by blocking his escape route. The traitor can also seal multiple times to mimic that typical scene in a zombie movie when the Hero's confront the traitor, only to have him escape from them again.

The traitor CAN attack the Hero’s and they can attack him at any time. The Hero’s are determined to kill the traitor and can re-roll one fight dice when attacking the traitor, fighting is the same as against zombies except that both Hero and traitor roll two dice (wounding on a double), ranged weapons can also be used on the traitor and can be re-rolled. The only exception is when one player’s Hero or traitor is a zombie, in that case the person whom is a zombie only rolls one die (which they can re-roll if they are the Hero’s zombie).

Any Hero or traitor whom dies comes back into play as a zombie hero controlled by their original player (ie. not by the Zombie player as in the rules). The Hero’s zombie hero can only hunt the traitor and not the other Hero’s until the traitor dies (if the traitor has not revealed himself yet, the zombie Hero just hunts the other Hero's until the traitor is revealed). The traitor can hunt the Hero’s as a zombie player too. If any zombie hero dies, they are simply respawned at the pit furthest away from the fight location. In most movies the Hero’s catch up to the traitor and nail him, alternatively one of the traitor’s victims comes back as a zombie and nails the traitor. The traitor zombie usually comes back to take out a few more Hero’s towards the end of the movie as well.

I hope this variant mimics the typical screwage involved in a zombie movie. Please give me your feedback and play session info.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about a similar variant, in which the traitor is instead "The Zombie Master" and the zombie player chooses who the Zombie MAster is.

The goal of both the zombie- and hero team is to get their hands on "The Book of the Dead" and get it to the altar, either to reinforce the spell, creating even more zombies (zombie team) or to destroy both the book and the spell (Hero Team).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An easier way to pick a traitor is by simply handing out the number tokens to the heroes (1-4), and roll a D6 (re-roll on a 5 or 6). It's a real time drain to go through the Hero deck.

Anyway, here's my traitor variant, called Bury the Living. It's the first and the wordiest variant I've come up with, but it won thezombiegame.com scenario contest!

The latest version can be downloaded here: http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/downloads.php?action=vie...

Old version:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
An easier way to pick a traitor is by simply handing out the number tokens to the heroes (1-4), and roll a D6 (re-roll on a 5 or 6). It's a real time drain to go through the Hero deck.

Anyway, here's my traitor variant, called Bury the Living. It's the first and the wordiest variant I've come up with, but it won thezombiegame.com scenario contest!

The latest version can be downloaded here: http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/downloads.php?action=vie...

Old version:

That is a much better idea for figuring out whom the traitor is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.