Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by the theme of both of these games and looking to get one to play with the family. They're fans of Ticket to Ride, Guillotine, Bananagrams, etc. I know these two games are a bit more involved than the ones I listed, but they sound simple enough to be a hit.

Thoughts between the two?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Both are decent games. If you think your group will like them, then go for it.

ShOC: Cooperative game where one of you may actually be a traitor. Lots of chrome for the theme, but main mechanics are comparable to Poker. This game is fairly popular. Even though it's not in the top 100 ranking, it is the 23rd most played game on BGG, according to people who log their plays anyway:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame?sortby=distinctuse...

MoTA: Very light deduction game. Strong theme, but gameplay is relatively light. This game is lighter than Clue. Extra points if your group likes the book or movie Name of the Rose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Another game by the same publisher that just came out is Mystery Express. This game is getting a lot of decent ratings although not lots of stellar ratings - I think mainly because hard core gamers think it has too much luck. But for light-gamers it might be just right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you liked Clue, Mystery of the Abbey is an awesome, awesome experience, and you'll never want to play Clue again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... does deduction or coop appeal more for your group? If they like deduction, Mystery of the Abbey is a lovely chromefest, but far from the greatest of deduction games. If you've played Clue, the core mechanic is similar, except that people pass cards to each other during the game, so the info isn't stable. Because of this, many deduction fans I know don't like this game. I'm still hoping to figure out some way that it still works, but I don't know. If they're really interested in deduction, get Sleuth instead. But if they don't care that much about the deductive workings, but would enjoy a game which has some merit and is produced up to the usual lavish Days of Wonder standards, maybe this is for you.

Shadows over Camelot: I still like it (I own both this and Mystery of the Abbey), but know others who got sick of it and never want to play again, and also this game caused a fight in one wing of my family and is sort of blacklisted now. But that could have happened with any coop game. Again, lovely DoW production here. Common complaint is not feeling the theme, but I don't agree. Definitely lean toward this one if your group has any interest in the King Arthur/Camelot theme particularly. You can play this with or without the traitor element, depending on the dynamic your group prefers (true coop or all-against-one) and how hard you want it to be. For a modern alternative, which is true coop and also has adjustable levels of difficulty, consider Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.