Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
------------UPDATES-----------------
edit: Oct 3...BNA expansion
"Be Not Afraid" expansion uses these customs(or its very close):
Race:vikings(barbarians), druids(leprecauns), and hydras(pygmies)
Power:Martyr(corrupt)
Its good/bad that most of the new races are rehashed of the custom ones. pixies is just a reverse kolbold too, but i do like HOMUNCULI. each expo copy is marked with a BNA

Oct 3: added medusa and mermaid

feb10/11: added Fire Elementals and multi-class. cut medusa.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I made a previous post listing dozens of races and powers, but i am writing this post to list the few which i think would add to the game. link to previous post:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3341469#3341469

--------------------------OVERVIEW-----------------------

In this post, i will write homemades that i feel are equals to the official powers. the main problem with homemades is that they are either unbalanced, redundant, dont have personality, or dont fit the theme. each one needs to add something to the game(rahter than dilute it), while having roughly the same effect as other powers.

My favorite homemades add some mechanic to the game, like dragon master, diplomacy, dwarf, or sorcerer did.

a redundant example: +1vp for each cave region you possess. it is redundant there are plenty of races/powers that do something very similar(wizards,humans, swamp, forest, ect)

many of these are ones i tweaked after reading online. i have not playtested most of these, so complain about that if you want.

note that there are now 3 occasions of a new token shape which gives no defense(ninja, portal, gargoyles, coins).
current token shapes:
*1def(anything that isnt one of the other type; fort,token,cave,)
*infinite def(that dragon shape)
*no effect(circle)

unless otherwise noted, these have no art. you are welcome to art up whatever you like and add a link here. if you do "art" them, i recommend removing the roman numeral that comes after the power.

Suggested use of customs:
I am too lazy to make new pieces for this game. instead i have 2 blank races and 3 blank powers i got from expansions. i put the blanks in the deck and write up the customs on pieces of paper. whenever a blank comes up, i pull out a random piece of paper and switch them. for race tokens, i use whatever race is not in use.

variants of above:
1)each time a blank is pulled, switch it for a paper version, then shuffle that blank back into the current stack.
2)pre-decide on race(s)/power(s) to not include, and whenever those come up, pull out a custom paper

----------------BODY----------------------------------------

-------------------Race-------------------

Well-Refined

Gargoyles II(5 [+10 stone tokens])
When the enemy conquers one of your regions, 1 gargoyle turns to stone(replace with stone token, not worth a defense) instead of dying. That token will stay in that region until gargoyles re-conquer it(you get a -1 for this battle), or it is abandoned. After either case, replace the stone token with a gargoyle token from the tray. This power works in decline. (can use decline-side gargoyles instead of stone tokens if you like)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/667225/small-world

Super Munchkins (1)
When race is revealed, take a power from the bottom of the pile and put it next to this race's power. you gain the ability of that power as well as the tokens associated with it. this extra power counts as your racial power for effects.
(sure its unbalanced, but isn't this game about fun? theme is from the game munchkin. if you have an idea for a themed race which screams multi-skilled, let me know and i might change it)

like the mobility:
Pirates (6)
All Sea Coastal regions are considered adjacent. Gain the elf retreat power but only in Sea coastal regions.
(similar to dryads, but i like pirates more since they are only spread into 2 groups instead of one in every forest. image:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/567886/kevintlee)

currently in BNA expansion(no attack bonus, but +2 tokens):
Vikings : (7)
-1 to attack. Any tokens used in conquering cannot be redeployed this turn. if you fail your reinforcement die roll, all remaining tokens in hand remain out of play until the start of your next turn(aka the +4 amazons)
(replacement for beserkers II)

currently in BNA expansion:
Druids (5)
At the very end of each of your turns, you choose any number of regions you control to become enchanted. Place one coin from the bank on each of these regions. This coin does not add to defense. Anyone who owns one of these regions just before the end of their turn receives that coin.(they were enchanters. semi-stolen from Sirens; people are welcome to suggest a new name for the race. something cultivate-y. if you want an image, call them fairies and use this:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/539933/kevintlee)

simple, but i think it could play interestingly:
Traders II (5)
Receive 2 coins for each adjacent race at the end of your turn. does not include your declined race. Each of those races receive 1 coin.
(may steal this image http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/464185/small-world )

perfect for when you are grumpy at someone. needs to be better than a -1(due to goblin-parity), but unsure how to balance a -2. changed to 4 tokens oct12:
Banshees III (4)
on your first turn, pick a race on the board. Place one of their tokens on this power to remind you(as soon as there is a spare one). you receive a -2 to attacks against that race. Additionally, on your first turn, your first attack onto the board can be into any of that race's regions.

---------------------------
Not Perfect, but close

unsure of the balance, but i like the idea:
Thieves II (5)
During conquest phase, for any non-empty region you could normally attack, you may instead do all of the following: Place a number of tokens equal to the defense of the region -2 into an adjacent region you control. Take 1 coin from that opponent or gain 1 coin from a lost tribe. You cannot attack the region again this turn.

better type below:
Mermaids (5)
Score +1VP for every 2 coastal or water regions.

(image for sirens at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/503664/small-world would work well enough)

balanced? fun? too complicated? i dunno yet:
Succubi (5)
Whenever an opponent would receive coins from her declined regions which are adjacent to Succubi, those coins go to the Succubi instead.
(formally called politicians. 5 tokens not too many since this power seems better than wizard the way that ransacking is better than pillaging EXCEPT that the opponent can try to stop the succubi from being adjacent during conquest phase)

new ninja idea. unsure as to how it will play out. they seem unkillable if they abandon all the time:
Ninja IV (5)
If you control no regions at the beginning of the conquest phase, -1 to all attacks this turn. Once per game turn(not player turn), while the opponent is not currently attacking you, you may redeploy your tokens, including any tokens in hand. If any regions are abandoned by this action, return 1 race token to the tray.

clouds are a lame dynamic. cut:
Ninja II (6[+10 circle "ninja clouds"])
-1 to attack on first turn. Do redeploying phase in secret, then place "ninja cloud" over-top all your regions. non-race tokens are not covered by the cloud. When a player decides to attack a ninja region, the cloud token is removed. If the opponent does not wish to attack he must set aside 2 tokens he cannot use for conquests this turn.

okok, i give. compendium hydras are good. skip this edit:
Hydras III (6/15)
Each time you are conquered(you still lose 1 token), roll the die and add that many units to your hand to redeploy at the end of the opponents turn. (AKA same as elf power with randomness)(i prefer this to compend' hydras)

too much complex, not enough kooky.
Medusa (5): Each time an opponent tries to conquer one of your regions, he must first place one race token from his hand onto his race banner. He gets this token back at the start of his next turn.
image: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/539933/kevintlee
discussion: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/570666/medusa-race-discu...

------------------------Power-------------------

Well-Refined

Half- (-1)
When this power is revealed, take a race from the bottom of the pile and put it between this power and its race. you gain the ability of that race as well as the tokens associated with it. (sure its unbalanced, but isnt this game about fun? note that this power is worth negative 1 tokens.)

2 dragons, half the time and like the theme:
Ghost Summoning (5 +2 ghost tokens; each ghost has a scary night side and a transparent-ghost day side)
During odd turns, ghosts are flipped to day side and have no effect or defense value. Redeploy as bivouacks. During even turns, ghosts are flipped to night side. Each acts as a dragon token
(evolved from terrifying. i like this MUCH more than elephants. it is similar to were-, but is more defensive, so i am ok with that.)

LOVE the altered adjacency. curious as to how it plays. may need more bite like underworld:
Portal-Shaping (5 [+2 gate tokens])
At the beginning of every conquest phase, place your 2 gate tokens in any 2 regions. These tokens do not give defense. All players treat these two regions as adjacent to each-other. You treat any gate region as adjacent to all of your regions(giant/first attack onto board approved). When you decline, the gates stay where they are for the rest of the game.

infinitely better than the compend' version:
Mysterious IV (5)
On the turn that this race goes into decline, you may do all or none of the following: earn two coins per region. Remove all of this race's units from the board immediately after scoring.
(discussion:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/504544/power-mysterious )

i like it, but people find it controversial metagame-wise. half as strong as BNA's corrupt, but works in decline:
Martyr III (4)
Whenever one of this race's regions is conquered, receive one coin. works in decline.(compare with smelly; discussion:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/520256/martyr-criticism)

compare to martyr. i like the simple yet funny theme:
Smelly (5)
opponents lose one coin every time they conquer one of your regions.
(the idea was the following, but the above is easier to implement:your regions are worth 1 less VP to the enemy on the turn they are conquered. represent this by placing upside down coins on these newly conquered regions.)

---------------------------
Not Perfect, but close

similar to banshee. maybe too similar:
Vengeful II (5)
-1 to attack any race which attacked your active race last turn. On your first turn, you also get a -1 to attack any race which attacked any of your declined races.
(considered change: always a bonus if they attack your declined race)

bland. in play it is almost identical to commando:
Coordinated (4)
for each region(besides the first) you control adjacent to the attacked region, receive a -1 to attack

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/492511/small-world

overly complicated. dont like compend' trapper either:
Trapper II (5)
gain 4 trap tokens. place them as bivouacks(many per region. replace them at end of turn. not worth extra defense.). just before an enemy attempts to attack region, roll the die once per trap. if you roll 1,2,or 3, discard the trap and enemy sends 1 token in hand to the tray. if the enemy can no longer conquer this region, he doesnt. do not keep traps in decline.

lame. just play with the leaders expansion, and we all get mercenaries, so i am cutting it;
Mercenary Employing (5): At the start of each turn, you may return up to 2 VP to the tray in order to gain that many mercenary tokens. Can have a max of 4. must always be with units of your race. If a region containing these tokens is conquered, instead of the normal losses, all mercs in the region are killed, and no racial ability activates(elf, hydra, ect.).
(compare with elephant trainer and dragon masters)

--------------------------------------------------
-------------------Compendiums-------------------
I would not play with half of the new things, but a lot of thought was put in, so take a look for yourself. most of the ones i dont like i changed and included above (ex dryad->pirate). Some are lacking in theme while others are lacking in balance. I would only play with the "actually cool" and

Actually good
Liches(cool!)
Demons(slightly bland, but i like them. There was a summoner race forever that was very similar and i think i prefer that theme to demons)
Necromancers(ok if balanced, curious of interaction with Necro Island expansion upcoming)
Hydra: in BNA expansion(pygmies)

Goodish
Riverine(iffy but ok. doesnt have enough theme for me. like half-triton half-seafaring)
Cowardly(unsure as to how i like the bonus. ruins the balance of expansion for points vs safety. too similar to peace loving or pillaging. With races that abandon all the time(skels,gyp,orc,kolbold,ect.), it is worse than pillaging. even so, its not outright unbalanced)
Assassin(i dont think you should be able to directly kill tokens)
Trapper (dont like abilities that directly kill units. dunno why. maybe you do, in which case play it. theme seems off too.)
Troglodytes(+1token(compared to wizard) for limited attack selection. seems too weak to me, but at least its a new mechanic)

Would Not Play These:
Mysterious: LAME. not enough points. see mysterious IV.
Martyr:outdated by BNA's corrupt, which is better in every way.
Dryads: i may not want to play with pirates AND dryads due to similarities. i like the altered adjacency of pirates more than dryads. they are still a good race tho.
Elephant Trainer(would play "ghost summoning" instead, which would make this redundant. theme is off too. what so mythical about elephants?)

------------------Curious About These--------------------------

mermaids I(4)
+1 VP for every water or coastal region which is empty and adjacent to you.
i like the synergy with seafaring and the use of empty regions, but apparently no one else does. Too hard to keep track of or something.

Fire Elementals II(5) + 10 round Fire markers
At the end of each turn, return one race token to the tray. When you abandon a region, you may leave a fire marker. You maintain control of these regions but the fire markers grant no defense. If you run out of race tokens, remove all fire markers from play. This power works in decline.

Multi-class II(1)
Once unveiled, place 3 powers from the bottom of the stack next to this. You gain these powers but not the additional tokens.

I don't like the name, but that's just me being picky, and its not my power to name-change. "Versatile" i like more. OP with merchant or fortified, but whatever.

these were stolen and reworded from http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/517876/variant-and-modificat... . I made it slightly weaker, so complain about that if you like.
-------------------------------------------------
POSSIBLE REBALANCING?

These change previously released stuff. This section i'm filling in later.

dwarf bonus(on decline, dont remove tokens from mine regions)
White lady bonus(Compendium guy is working on a good one for them?)
mild Orc bonus(-1 on first attack/turn?) (i just dont like how they compare to gypsies and attack powers)
maurading nerf(4 tokens?)
Kolbold nerf(maybe? maybe not?)
cursed(maybe? I have never seen a player win after picking this race unless they are the first to grab it in the final turn(player 1 advantage))

-------------------------------------------------
This list seems complete for the moment. first set sounds awesome to me. second set could be good. compendiums are good, with some exceptions.

by the way. i would include Cursed, White ladies, and BNA expansions, cuz they seem cool. kolbolds are cheezy, but *shrug*

tales and legends expansion is cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wrote this on an image's comments:

senseless wrote:
RobertHMayfire wrote:
Nice. Someone should make a Cultist race.

Not a race, but a power!

Cultist [5]
When this race conquers a region occupied by an active race, add a doom token to this power badge. When there are 10 or more doom tokens on this badge remove all race tokens (active, declined and lost tribes) from the board and all players enter decline immediately.

Congratulations! You succesfully invoked the great old one and blew the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
updated the list to be more awesome. now has more images and more refined powers. plus ghosts. i'm thinking an image from mario would be best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
updated to show Be not Afraid duplicates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Majard
France
arcis le ponsart
Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted a reply to the medusa post :
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5979219#5979219

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
added some stuff. and i still stand behind my mermaid race. and post some thoughts already people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kluetus cassidy
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have just recently joined this game and i love it. Such a fun game. Some of the powers we use are these:

Powers -

Mimic [?] - Player chooses 1 power in the game. He gains the ability and race token number of the chosen power. Once chosen, that is what it remains for the duration of the game.

Mountaineer [4] - Player gains one extra victory coin for each mountain region they control. Also, when conquering a mountain region, it requires one less token.

Race -

Doppelgangers [?] - Takes on the ability and token number of any race. One a race is chosen, it remains that race for the duration of the game.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So 3+ years later how many of the "well refined" customs are still truly unique and not made redundant by the many expansions that have been released over the years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
So 3+ years later how many of the "well refined" customs are still truly unique and not made redundant by the many expansions that have been released over the years?

Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
of my list of good ones
vikings = barbarians
banshees is sort of like vengeful

mysterious and martyr = mysterious and martyr in the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echephron wrote:
of my list of good ones
vikings = barbarians
banshees is sort of like vengeful

mysterious and martyr = mysterious and martyr in the expansions.

Thanks for responding Kyle, and for the effort you put into compiling this list!

So are you saying that the rest of your list of good ones (other than the few you mention in the quote above) are still unique and not replicated by official races?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
i combed through them, and if i remember it being released in a "real" set, i mentioned it. also wrote in the original post that these duplicates exist:
Race:vikings(barbarians), druids(leprecauns), and hydras(pygmies)
Power:Martyr(corrupt))

no guarantees that i got them all, but i am 90% sure i am right.

banshees and vengeful are like vengeful which is a power in some set i believe. i tried to note in the original post if a released set had a duplicate ability.

yup, as far as i know. still unique. not to mention fun presumably. i never actually played with them as far as i remember.

EDIT: i only now looked at the following, so a duplicate may exist there
Small World: A Spider's Web
ice witch is similiar to smelly + trolls
Small World: Royal Bonus
and my pirates are like the fan compendium dryads but for water instead of forests. same goes for martyr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.