Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Game club: the first month rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after one month of holding the chess and strategy club at my school I can say it's going really well.meeple

The first meeting had almost 20 kids show up and the numbers have been going up from there. Today's meeting had 25. There were two playing chess, two playing MTG, two playing Lunch Money, four playing settlers, four playing Citadels and then Pirate's Cove, five playing Puerto Rico,
and five playing Marco Polo! Then there were a few just sitting around talking about D & D but I think they may start playing next week. I was so busy explaining rules, I didn't get to play any games.

Funny thing about kids, almost every group was playing something wrong, the PR group didn't understand the harbor rules, the settlers group forgot that cities double production, the Marco Polo group were discarding treasures to move to the head of the line; yet they were all having fun -- even after I corrected the rules. If you told adults, most of 'em would flip out.

My minor sucesses were that the new PR players all loved it and want to play agin. And, the Marco Polo players actually played the game twice (*gasp* the same game twice! how American ). I told them about Ticket to Ride and they are going to give it a try next week.

In further news, the administration OK'd playing board games along with chess so we are now "offical". I gave them a list of games we play along with descriptions I pulled off the 'geek (I had to edit them a little). It's interesting how some game descriptions are very objective while others are mini-reviews.

So all in all I couldn't ask for a better first month. It looks like I have 20 or so converts to the cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!!!!!! If they had a club like this in my day...man.
I so would have been there in my day!

A teacher in High school taught us Diplomacy in a world studies history class and started a major addiction. We used to play one move at the end of each day in an unoffical club.

We'd contemplate moves, and make world altering treaties, plans for backstabbing all day in every class (math? huh?) talk over war maps in the hallls...man, it was totally brilliant.

I'm personally thrilled and warmed at heart that you're taking the time to have fun with the kids like that. The games are a great way for them to socialize and learn some very important thinking/reasoning/problem solving/forethinking concepts. Plus, the group interaction/dynamics!!

Brilliant!

PS--Were you once considering Zombiess as a possibility? I remember an earlier list of a teacher starting a group at school...am I remembering an earlier post of yours? Either way, I'm glad you're doing it (and not having zombies in for the kids was smart!).

Take care and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious
When you discussed this with the administration, did you actually mention Lunch Money as an option? Somehow, I'm guessing not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, one of the kids brought in Lunch Money. He's a senior so I let it go. I asked him "Don't you find the artwork on the cards is a little bizarre?" to which he responded "No it's cool and the game is fun". Well I guess he's practically an adult and I suppose at that age I too probably would have thought the artwork was "cool". It was sort of enjoyable watching them play as one would lay down a card and say with a straight face "I kick you in the head"

I am steering the freshmen away from that one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry about the descriptions...
Originally, I tried to phrase all the descriptions as objectively as possible, but I was soon stampeded by sheer volume. People could re-write the desciptions, as a correction to the games.

But on to more important things. NICE JOB WITH THE KIDS!!!! meeplemeeplemeeple I'm gonna gift you 20 geek gold, one for each of the kids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks Derk that's very generous. blush

I didn't mean anything negative by the comment ... it was just an observation. I didn't realize that one person was doing all of the descriptions. I'm sure with doing so many there's bound to be variability just to maintain your sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Once upon a time, I wrote them all. This hasn't been the case for several years now. Some of the descriptions follow that idea, some do not. I'm not offended in the least, just wanted to agree with your sentiments that the description should be objective as possible, but most aren't these days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.