Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is similar in concept, but simpler and plays faster (it was originally developed as a card-game version of Puerto Rico before the developer discovered someone else was already coming up with San Juan). Action decisions are important, but not as directly confrontational as Puerto Rico.

It's a shame they don't like Agricola. I've found the expansion helps with Agricola, but action paralysis can hurt sometimes.

If they like role selection and playing "chicken" I might recommend Citadels. Lots of second-guessing in that game, a lot of it dependent on what role you think somebody else took.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Struve
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also surprised they didn't like Agricola - my family likes Puerto Rico, but they LOVE Agricola (I have yet to meet anyone that hasn't enjoyed Agricola when taught).

I agree, Race for the Galaxy is a good game to move towards. Not only does it play a lot quicker (15-30 minutes) - setup and take down is WAY faster! Race is a little tougher to explain, but if they have Puerto Rico in mind, you will find a lot of simliar game mechanics to explain Race (choosing roles that everyone plays, goods produced, and goods sold for cash or points). But it is a card game, and sometimes seeing a board spread across the table is just what a body needs.

So for board games - Stone Age comes to mind, gathering goods, using goods to obtain other things in game, definitely screwing with your opponents, and it's a fun game.

Age of Empires III is fun as well for a worker-placement game - plenty of tension, screwage, and ways to win the game.

For a little longer game, we love Shogun. While it does have some conquering thy neighbor aspects, there is such a variety of things to do and variety of ways to obtain points... it's a blast (and of course, it has a battle-tower!).

Just a few suggestions - there are so many great games, it's hard to go wrong here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to play Age of Empires III. Worker placement, multiple ways to win, interactions and direct conflict is possible but not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't buy Race for the Galaxy: you'll be disappointed. I liked Puerto Rico, and so I thought I would like RftG; but there isn't enough player interaction or skill involved. In games between players of all the same skill level, RftG is a roll of the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two classics that come directly to mind are Caylus and Tigris & Euphrates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
BoardBored wrote:

Our group has played a good number of PR games and we enjoy it A LOT... but we're ready for the next game. We like the tension of deciding which role to chose based on how much it will help/hurt others.... multiple balanced game ending conditions, multiple VP engines based on personal preference and how the game progresses.

Based upon these likes, I would suggest The Princes of Florence or Goa (both out of print), or perhaps Brass or Stone Age. However, all of these have a set number of rounds except Stone Age (Stone Age has two ending conditions). Brass has a little more tactical feel to it than Puerto Rico (there are less clear distinctions in the paths through the game). Stone Age of course has much more of a random element.

Quote:

I dont think they seem to see how to build in spite of what others chose, and thus they dont see how its more than a multiplayer solitare.

This is a strong indication against Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are a fellow Geo-Cacher, I felt I had to put in my 2 cents.cool
I would give Caylus a try. Also a game we just started playing, and my group really likes is The Name of the Rose. Both games allow for direct interaction and some conflict. Give them a try, I think you will enjoy them too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hycanth wrote:
BoardBored wrote:

Our group has played a good number of PR games and we enjoy it A LOT... but we're ready for the next game. We like the tension of deciding which role to chose based on how much it will help/hurt others.... multiple balanced game ending conditions, multiple VP engines based on personal preference and how the game progresses.

Based upon these likes, I would suggest The Princes of Florence or Goa (both out of print), or perhaps Brass or Stone Age. However, all of these have a set number of rounds except Stone Age (Stone Age has two ending conditions). Brass has a little more tactical feel to it than Puerto Rico (there are less clear distinctions in the paths through the game). Stone Age of course has much more of a random element.

I'll "third" the recommendation of Stone Age.

I'll also recommend Endeavor, having tried it for the first time earlier this week. Definitely some similar aspects to Puerto Rico, which will both help and hinder the process of learning Endeavor, but it is most certainly a different game, let me be clear. But, as someone who loves PR, I can see myself really getting into Endeavor as well.

Let us know what you end up going with!

Edited to add a link to Own and Love Goa and Puerto Rico...Do I Need [Endeavor], Too? in case anyone wants a more detailed discussion of the similarities and differences between PR and Endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Endeavor as well.

It is fairly new, but has gone down really well at my local game group. It does have some conflict in it, which is a bit different for a "euro"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Vegas Showdown or Imperial a try. IMHO, they are the two best games to come out since PR in 2002.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So far Im most interested in Goa, Endeavor, T&E, Prince of Florence, and Stone age.

Goa and PoF are both out of print. I can't speak to T&E, but I'd definitely support exploring Endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nielsen
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Abstractite wrote:
Don't buy Race for the Galaxy: you'll be disappointed. I liked Puerto Rico, and so I thought I would like RftG; but there isn't enough player interaction or skill involved. In games between players of all the same skill level, RftG is a roll of the dice.

Agreed. Pick up Glory to Rome instead. It's tough to find a store that can keep them in stock, but it beats the pants of RftG for player interaction. It doesn't have the rock-paper-scissors simultaneous guessing that Race does, but I wouldn't exactly call that a drawback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rstruve wrote:
I am also surprised they didn't like Agricola - my family likes Puerto Rico, but they LOVE Agricola (I have yet to meet anyone that hasn't enjoyed Agricola when taught).

Heh. I guess you haven't been to Houston then. I can show you plenty of people who won't play Agricola if their life depended on it, myself included. My main gaming group has... I think 4 people who will play Uwe's games. Everyone else shuns them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Age of Empires III. It does *not* play like the computer game. Earlier today, in fact, I described it as a Euro with some balls blush Lots of worker placement, many routes to win, fantastic bits. Plus it's on Tanga right now for about $36 shipped, which is a STEAL. Seriously...try it, you won't be disappointed.

Caylus is too much of a brain-burner IMO. I honestly find it a geek's geek's game. I like it, but I also know that nobody but the hard-core players in my group will play it. I also dig stuff like Brass and Indonesia, which are fantastic games and *not* for your group. (They don't like/can't handle Agricola and you're going to dump Caylus on them?!? Think about this guys!)

Finally, take a look at Carson City, which I just played last night. Role selection. Income. You get to build stuff. You also get to duel other cowboys, which is satisfying, but the consequences of losing aren't very bad for the loser, which is the best of both worlds. Pretty easy to pick up, but lots and lots of replay value for various reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS. Check out the Race for the Galaxy forums to find a link to free computer play of Race. Try before you buy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of worker placement games out there, but the one that recently surprised me was Carson City. The Wild West theme is really laid out well and it's very in your face. Stealing land and money from people is incredibly rewarding. Though if they didn't like Agricola they might like Le Havre more. I certainly did. The choices are more interesting and there are more winning conditions. I would look into that. Although Carson City is really where it's at, and with the recently releases 2 Edition out, now is the time to buy it. Thedicetower has some video reviews of most of the games suggested here & Tom, the host, could go into better detail than I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City Video Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCZGy5szFds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Saint Petersburg? It's all cards instead of cardboard and wood, and lighter than PR, but it's all about building up your economic engine on limited resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Puerto Rico but dislike Agricola, and don't need to play Le Havre again either.

I LOVE Caylus and Cuba though. Although Caylus, PR, and Cuba share some characteristics, they are all different enough from each other with very differnt feels and gameflow. All have a solid sense of progression and have interesting and varied decision points, with Cuba having the greatest variety.

I really dig Cuba as an interesting cross between PR and Caylys - you've got the role selection and worker placement that allows you to do different things, you've got the buildings which also enable to do/get different things, you've got shipping and a lot of econimic activity. What makes Cuba brilliant, in my opinion, is the voting mecahnism which seems to tie everything together into a unique whol. Check it out. Plays well with 2 or 3 players - I've never played with more people. Cuba has pretty much pushed PR off our table these days.

Caylus is still my favorite 2-player game and it plays quite quickly as long as no one suffers from Analysis Paralysis. It is the premiere worker placement/resource management game to which I judge all others. I love having all open information with nothing hidden except for waht's in your opponent's head. It is fun to try different strategies, but you need to keep tactically on your toes too. Just a fun game that you can even play from a very tactical approach too - you can play it super heavy, medium, or relatively light too, depending on the players. Plus I love playing a medieval real estate developer lustily eyeing that long meandering road...

You might find Stone Age way too light and luck laden if PR is your favorite game. We got bored with it pretty quickly. Just a cautionary note.

I'd give Cuba or Caylus a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rstruve wrote:
(I have yet to meet anyone that hasn't enjoyed Agricola when taught).

There are quite many in my gaming group. You can have them.

LoMa wrote:
I LOVE Caylus and Cuba though. Although Caylus, PR, and Cuba share some characteristics, they are all different enough from each other with very differnt feels and gameflow.

Cuba is (along with PR and Year of the Dragon) one of my favourite games this far. Still some people might find it difficult, because getting a decent overview of what you are doing the first 3 plays is impossible.

Making victorypoints out of resources would be the most characteristic link between Caylus, PR and Cuba, but the gameplay is completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to this list I know but Chicago Express may well be an excellent choice - relatively short and run through with tension as you try to increase your wealth whilst trying to destabilize all of your opponents , though not necessarily at the same time !
Stone Age is also a good choice .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
If you like the role selection mechanic, have a look at Opera it takes it to the next level.

You need to split your cash between budget, which is used to pay for Role selection and your cash on hand which is used to pay for building Opera houses (and extentions) and commisioning works of music.

Also the way the budget is used for role selection can be manipulated for turn order.

I'm surprised the game is not more poular, it takes the base mechanic of PR and does some very interesting things with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... Interesting... PR is a favorite of mine. Agricola is as the top of my wish list... I too thought it would be similar and I would like it.

That said.. I wonder if buying many games that have similar mechanics but just different themes might be a bit boring and bland.

You might want to look at your collection and see what type of game you DON'T have.

While I like PR I really enjoy Dominion... and those games are very different. Oh, and while it ranks pretty low on the BGG list I really enjoy Settlers City & Knights too. I think all those three games have different mechanics and I like them all.

Do you have any type of Stock Market game like an 18xx game?

How about a network building game like Steam or Power Grid?

How about a co-op game like Pandemic?

A continuous bidding type game like Cyclades?

I think Cosmic Encounter is supposed to be a strategy game which PR is listed as here.

I don't have 18xx or Cyclades or some others above... but I think I have changed my collection strategy to getting different games rather than similar. For example, I won't be getting Forbidden Island... because it looks like a duplicate of Pandemic with a slight different theme.

Good luck in your quest.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definite yes to Princes of Florence if you get a copy. The others that I can think of
Power Grid,
T&E,
Steam,
Notre Dame (Light compared to PR, but good game),
Louis XIV (though some people say it is a little dry, I tend to enjoy this, plays really well with 2 and 4)
Thurn and Taxis- Completely different network game (Created by the same guy who designed PR)
Dominion- Nice deck building game with almost infinite possibilities (add all the expansions
)
I would say, if you don't mind long games, then try out Through the Ages- one of the best Civilization games and Imperial- Great economic/Power/Area control game

Of course how can I forget Caylus

On the lighter note, you could look at Small World.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat D
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoid Endeavor...super abstract, lifeless, uninspiring game.

I would definately give the following a try:

Princes of Florence
Power Grid
Steam
Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.