Subject: Sauron rampant - hang on, Frodo's done it! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game often throws up tight, tense finishes, but this one is one of the best I've played in.

Our third game of the evening, score stands at one all and I'm playing the Fellowship. I didn't get off to a great start with Gandalf dying cheaply and Frodo/Sam identified early on down the right, short of the mountains. Then a better middle game, with Gimli getting the Orcs and Legolas the Witch-king. Unfortunately I was running out of moves and Aragorn fell to the Cave Troll, leaving the following bleak position-

- Frodo in Gap of Rohan; Merry in Arthedain
facing
- Shelob in Gondor; Cave Troll in Fangorn; Balrog in Moria

So Frodo is in a dead end cul-de-sac with no room to squirm out via sideways retreats. We have one card left each, mine being the '1' battle card (i.e. weakest card in a hand). It's my move and there's no hope: perhaps sacrifice Merry in a battle to refresh my hand, but even then I can't see anyway around advancing into Rohan and death in battle for Frodo. But wait...I look up and my opponent (Dave) is wearing a pained disbelieving expression of despair...what am I missing? There's no way he can lose a battle against Frodo - it's 5-1 v Shelob and even if he has a 1 battle card as well and thinks I still have my 5 it's a tie and death for the ring-bearer. Or, if I still have 'noble sacrifice' it's just a glorious end for Frodo not victory.

But Dave is clearly convinced he's lost....then I realise what it must be - his last card is 'Retreat', and the Dark player's retreat is sideways, and as he only has one card he will have to play it in a battle. So Frodo advances to Rohan. Accepting the inevitable Shelob advances into Rohan to attack Frodo - we both play our last cards and so Shelob retreats sideways to Fangorn. Frodo has a clear path to Mordor and dunks the ring.

I love this game. sauronlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the Deluxe version, but are the rules regarding combat cards different in the two versions? In the DX version, combat discard piles of both players are open info, so each player will know what the other has used and has left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are the same in the original edition - discards are face up. Having such a weak card left it didn't occur to me that there was anything my opponent could have that would allow me to survive. It was only his defeatist demenour that made me think 'I wonder' and then rummage through the discards to confirm why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.