BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Hybrid of CDG With Good Military/Wargame Element? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lally
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I'm not sure is such a beast exists, but can anyone recommend a CDG game that has a large, strategic scope but has a realistic warfare element, too?

I'm thinking of something like Twilight Struggle or Washington's War, excpet with an above average wargame element for the battle resolutions.

Again, does such a game(s) exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your thoughts on games like Paths of Glory, Wilderness War, Hannibal...or For the People?

Are you meaning a game that uses something other than a CRT for battle resolution....or just that is "feels" like a war campaign. Although controversial, I think the card play in Hannibal does a good job of allowing the vagaries of battle to be modeled. But for strategic scope, the best CDG I've played is Paths of Glory.

I suggest trying Wilderness War and Shifting Sands if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Unhappy King Charles! would fit the bill nicely - it's card driven, there's political control in the mix, but there's straight up traditional battles to be fought too.

Slightly different is España 1936. It's not card driven per se, but there is an event phase where cards are played. You can even play the game "historically" by using the cards in numerical order. The battle element is also fast and dare I say it, fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like I recommend this game every thread, but . .. Clash of Monarchs. Epic CDG. Battles (particularly the big Austrian-Prussian ones) have many modifiers, use tactics chits, and so on. The maneuver is fascinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a lil more info regarding what you are looking for in your wargame would help. Seems like most CDGs are pretty serious wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
Seems like I recommend this game every thread, but . .. Clash of Monarchs. Epic CDG. Battles (particularly the big Austrian-Prussian ones) have many modifiers, use tactics chits, and so on. The maneuver is fascinating.

QFT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here Card Driven Wargames Redux you can find some hints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat could fit the bill. WW2 Eastfront game where cards strongly affect (perhaps not quite drive) action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.