Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
5 Units - If you conquer only 1 enemy region on your turn, ALL enemy units there are discarded from the game, including Elves.

What kind of race should this be? Spiders? Demons? Vampires? Angels?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
If you conquest only 1 enemy region on your turn...

Semantics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems more like a power/aspect: Swarm/Swarming

If it were a race, though, why not hive-mind Insectoids? Imagine them as slightly larger than human-sized termites. Add to them some kind of bonus for controlling Underword entrances and you might have something.

Just a couple of random pot shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I had thought of calling them "HIVE". I don't think they would have further special abilities however, since Flying, Swamp, Pillaging, etc could be attached via a Special Power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Mora
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Could it be "acidic"?

See you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
my question is what is the idea behind the race?
are they really fast?
are they particularly brutalizing?
to they employ tactical nukes to obliterate the area?

the way i understand the race is that they are too fast to retreat from. this can either be the units themselves(think the flash fast, or some kind of teleporting) or some tool under their employ(death ray).

how about "MAD SCIENTISTS (6)"
at end of any turn you dont have a death laser, put one in a region of yours. you can skip your conquest phase to use the death laser:
spend a number of tokens equal to the defense of an enemy region to power the device. all tokens in that region are sent to the tray. you may conquer this and only this region this turn at the cost of 1 if it is adjacent to you.

i dont see how a swarm is too fast to retreat from.
i also dont like the power in non-2player games, because if you are spending a turn expanding that slowly, you are in trouble.

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a race that turns the land to mud and everything/one sinks into the ground?

Or something that surrounds then conquers?

Either of those would take a while to set up, so only one region could be taken per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irrespective of the name I think the ability is too powerful. It's not that difficult to limit yourself to 1 conquest of an active race per turn as there's still empty regions, lost tribes and declined regions to go at.

Other abilities to one side, if I wanted to kill 3 tokens of a player's active race I'd currently need a minimum of 9 tokens. This ability makes it possible with just 5. Far too good.

There's no way it could be a race because with Were or heaven forbid Dragon Master it would be crazy. And even as a power it'd be way too good with races like Tritons, Giants, Rats and Kobolds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe I said active race, so I meant it to be one enemy region TOTAL (including Lost Tribes, Declined, and Active). So this does limit the power. Keep in mind that this means you will normally get only one additional point that turn (if they use this ability). I created it as a credible threat to those huge stacks of tokens, but at a cost.

What if I said "If you use this ability you may NOT redeploy at the end of your turn"? In this manner it further places your own tokens at risk.

By the way, does it sound like the best name for this race and/or power should be "ASSASSIN(S)"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
I don't believe I said active race, so I meant it to be one enemy region TOTAL (including Lost Tribes, Declined, and Active).

Sorry, when you ephasised the 'ALL enemy units' I just inferred that it mean't multiple tokens which would only apply to active regions. I perhaps jumped to conclusions.

ebridge wrote:
So this does limit the power. Keep in mind that this means you will normally get only one additional point that turn (if they use this ability). I created it as a credible threat to those huge stacks of tokens, but at a cost.

What if I said "If you use this ability you may NOT redeploy at the end of your turn"? In this manner it further places your own tokens at risk.

By the way, does it sound like the best name for this race and/or power should be "ASSASSIN(S)"?

I don't have an issue with being able to eliminate more than the usual 1 token per conquest but I think all in that region is a bit too much even if you put limitations on other areas.

There have been other suggestions regarding Assassins that involve the use of 1-2 assassin tokens that can be placed once per turn and used to kill an enemy token during the conquest phase on top of the standard 1 casualty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.