Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wanted: A fun and unique, light-hearted game that plays well with 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: info [+] goos [+] [View All]
Katie Schumm
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I are in need of a new game! We have and enjoy the following:

Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne
Agricola
Bohnanza
Lost Cities
Small World
Mr. Jack

But now we need something to mix it up! Help us find a game that is light-hearted and fun, and different from the games we already have (read: no collecting and trading of farm-related commodities). More than anything, I really don't want a dry board game. Power Grid is an example of an epic fail on the dryness scale. Robots and trains don't excite us much. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra has a nice 2-player variant that my girlfriend and I like to play. It is basically two players with a dummy 3rd player {named Dirk}. It feels like a build your own Carcassonne where you have to buy the tiles.

You may also want to try Ingenious. This has a modular board for 2,3, or 4 players. This is different than the games from your list, but still a fun game.

And, if you can get your hands on a copy, try out Balloon Cup. This is a 2-player card game similar to Lost Cities, but a little more involved in the interaction and the thought process.

I own or have played all of the games on the list you gave and feel that these will fill your need. Good Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Rat Hot is one of my favorites for 2 players, and it definitely has an interesting learning curve.

Pandemic and Ingenious, along with the ubiquitous Dominion and FITS are also good suggestions for light games that support 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucian Pleianu
Romania
Cluj Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each time I hear "fun" and "unique" mentioned in discussions about two player games, I think about Day & Night.

Another very good option is Odin's Ravens. One of the only games on my wishlist as "Must Have" after a dozen plays - too bad it's currently OOP and probably the price has gone up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Tobago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Light hearted, fun and different?

You have already have broad a broad range of game mechanics: worker placement, deduction, hand management, and tile-laying games.

Given that auction games and race games (particularly the light-hearted variety) work much better with more than 2 players, how about a dexterity game? I suggest Crokinole or a less-expensive investment such as Elk Fest.

I would also endorse the suggestion of Pandemic, although I wouldn't call the subject matter light-hearted. Although another great 2player game, Ingenious also fails on the score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominionwill work great for you, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've quite enjoyed playing Pick & Pack

It's light, fast and fairly cheap to boot but unfortunately doesn't seem to get many mentions within these hallowed pages.

It's one of those games that I stumbled across by complete accident when searching for something else on the Geek and I'm glad I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
if you can find it Factory Fun might be the perfect match.

Jaipur is ultra-short but still a fun experience.

if you are willing to try something a bit more challenging but still very lght-hearted indeed Galaxy Trucker is unique and fun.

then there is Pandemic as an intro into the world of co-op.
it tends to be much easier with only two players but still a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
Shazamm!, though it might feel dry (I guess), it is just a hugely fun game of bluffing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a completely different vibe, have you considered a dexterity game, such as PitchCar Mini or Catacombs

A flicking good day out at the races might make a refreshing change from your current farming duties

Also, how about a dice game? - Liar's Dice is, IMHO, the best game ever and can be played with 2 (just grab your own dice, you don't need to buy anything).

Also, it's theme might not scream 'fun' but Battle Line is generally considered one of the best 2p games out there. Also, there's the new Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans which again is probably not a fun theme, but it could tickle your fancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Dominion! Unique, light hearted, works well with two players, quick...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would second Balloon Cup.

Castle Panic plays well with two. Gives you the option to play co-operatively or competitively depending on your mood. It is certainly different from what you have.

If you want different how about a trying a light sports game? StreetSoccer is good. But very similar in mechanics, free to download and, in my opinion, a better feel for its subject is Pond Hockey.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is a great two player game. Think aysymmetrical stratego, which is a) quicker to play and b) has pieces with lots of special abilties. Plus what could be more light hearted than trashing The Shire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena II. Quick, fun, and the screwage is light-hearted. My wife and I are new gamers and have a good time winding down with this one. We also love Thurn and Taxis but not sure it would meet your definition of light hearted. The theme sounds extremely dry but its a lot of fun, and different from anything on your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders has a pretty good two player variant. It plays a pretty quick city-building game. Not sure how "unique" it is but it might be of interest to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also suggest Battle Line and Dominion. My fiance really enjoys cards-based games, and typically beats me at them. (Whereas I do better with spatial games like Carcassonne. Also, she does not care for Pandemic -- although I really like it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a racing game? Snow Tails is one of our favorites - fun game with a really interesting mechanic for moving the sleds.

Many good suggestions above too - we also enjoy Dominion, Pandemic and both Cartegena I and II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of our favorites that fall into the light-hearted 2 players game category:

Fresco
Finca
Thebes
Galaxy Trucker
Cornerstone
At the Gates of Loyang
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers
Ra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know its already listed on here but me and the wife love Jaipur and Alhambra. Also for quicker little games we play Fluxx, Coloretto and Pocket Battles:Celts vs. Romans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
Archaeology: The Card Game
Ra: The Dice Game
Can't Stop
Formula Dé Mini
Stone Age
Animal Upon Animal
Wasabi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
Circus Train (First Edition)
The Princess Bride: Storming the Castle
Junkyard Races
Galaxy Trucker
Roads & Boats
Factory Fun
Roma
San Juan
River Dragons
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope these prove worthy of consideration in regard to your criteria;
Forbidden Island- set to be released in May, gorgeous art and intriguing game play. I have already preordered this title and have read good things about it.
Genji- another unique card driven game where you are trying to capture the heart of a lady in the royal house through the creation of the best poetry.
Timber Tom- a very beautiful race game that has maintained it's fun factor in my household.
Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas- you have to collect books in a set while your opponent tries to dump into you off the walkways.

Hope these recommendations prove useful and that your find a fun game for you and yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:

I love R&B, but, a 3-hour civ game is light-hearted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.