Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Worst losses in rftg? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got my tail handed to me today (tail being spelled with three letters) by losing 32-81, with goals. I had Old Earth, he had Alpha Centauri.
http://genie.game-host.org/game.htm?gid=120415

I haven't been doubled in a couple hundred games, and that's just an outrageous margin of victory (49 points), especially since I'm an experienced player by now. I made some bad plays and (s)he definitely played well, but I'm just surprised that this sort of thing still happens.

Oddly enough, I went 4-1 over the whole day.

Does anyone else have tales of woe in Race? Big losses only please... I'm curious as to how often a veteran player runs into this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like your opponent should get a prize for best non-starting use of Epsilon Eridani!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud regularly owns me on genie (though I believe I have a winning record against him in BoW games so far ...) One example is http://genie.game-host.org/game.htm?gid=6620 , an instance of how ugly it can get when your opponent hops on the dev train and never looks back. (It also illustrates one of the harms of naked trading rarely discussed on the forum, which is that it telegraphs that you have a windfall you want to settle.)

Most of my ugly losses tend to follow this sort of pattern -- victim of insane tableau rush involving either dev discounts, Improved Logistics, or both (e.g. http://genie.game-host.org/game.htm?gid=15435 ) before I have a chance to do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stats to the rescue!

An 80 score in TGS 2pa, let alone RvI multiplayer, is always just the very peak of variance and u should take it in stride. Not to mention your opponent is top 20 as well (out of 2525 players on rftgstats.com - 99.3th percentile) - a good player hitting the peak of variance can reach scary score differentials/multiples.

I've actually scored 80+ only once ever (and post-game i realized a rule was misplayed - Ancient Race and kept 4 starting cards in hand); none of my opponents have ever scored 80+. 70s scores are considerably more frequent (i have 19 in 977 plays, opponents have 13).

-977 plays (129 Base, 286 TGS, 562 RvI; includes 8 incomplete)
-300 losses
-21 losses where my score was doubled or more
-Worst ever margin of loss: 42 (32-74-24, game #821, RvI, Goals on, Takeovers on)
-Worst ever multiple of my score: 2.8 (17-48-41-25, game #282, Genie, TGS, Goals on)
-Last time my score was doubled: game #924 (20-41-21-17, RvI, Goals on, Takeovers off)

Disclaimer: 90% of my plays are live vs a limited pool (70) of mostly casual FLGS players, none of whom are experts (i.e. none read BGG strat articles etc.) I'm not terrible or anything tho, i reached a good rating on Genie and likely quit before my peak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Serge, does the Genie site count goal cards as VP chips? Just wondering why in this game (http://genie.game-host.org/game.htm?gid=120415) your opponent ended with 32 chips, according to the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Don E wrote:
Serge, does the Genie site count goal cards as VP chips?

No.

Quote:
Just wondering why in this game (http://genie.game-host.org/game.htm?gid=120415) your opponent ended with 32 chips, according to the site.

Presumably by starting the last round with 18 chips and consuming for 14 more. Note that the 12 chips per player is just the threshold for ending the game, not a hard limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3-player game yesterday. During the game, one of the guys was playing a little slower, was taking time to read his cards, asking some questions, etc. During the course of the game, the other guy starts going on about how great the online implementations of RftG are, and how he's played some 1500+ games. It was my 5th game.

Final score: 36-14-11.

Geez, why not just go beat up some 3rd graders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Looks like your opponent should get a prize for best non-starting use of Epsilon Eridani!

I still don't get that, although I'm the guy who hasn't ever won on Genie by using Epsilon as a non-starter. http://rftgstats.com/player_Stunna.html

One game sample size I think... I get the general notion of double settle + use the consume power to leech a trade, but it never seems to be the best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Chen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually prefer losing by a landslide to losing by a close margin. When I lose by a close margin, I have to ask myself if there was something I could have done differently to win the game (the answer is usually yes). But when I get blown out, I can contentedly start the next game, knowing that nothing I could have done would have gotten me out of that one.

It's like going all in with AA to your opponent's KK, and your opponent spikes a king. Sure, you're down a buy-in, but at least you know you played that hand perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vivafringe wrote:
I actually prefer losing by a landslide to losing by a close margin.

Heh, i beat my regular opponent by 1 point 3 games in a row yesterday. That musta stung. :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Topper Returns
That's nothing!

I once lost 101:-1. Doomed World was my home and I bought a lot of Mercenaries and Plague Worlds, such that my final score was negative one. My people! Burned to a crisp! Why?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Lacoste
United States
San Diego
Canadian in San Diego
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can beat that EASY

72-71

DEFINITELY the worst loss I ever had!

I was dev-heavy with lots of production.
My opponent was military with cascading (RvI) 6-cost bonuses.

How can you have 71 points and LOSE??????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, if we're going to start talking about most irksome losses, then this game I played against Guy takes the cake.

Situation: we both have 10 cards in our tableau; I have a strong x2/prod engine going and a significant point lead. I'm trying to decide my roles: obviously I'm consuming. I have mediocre cards in my hand. They're not good enough to justify calling a build phase -- I don't want to give him an extra build phase if he doubles up on the other build phase, and if he does something like +5/Settle I'd rather have not called the Dev to let him end the game.

So it's either explore/x2 or x2/produce. My cards aren't really that bad, and so I don't need the explore. In addition, I don't want to risk him drawing better cards. On the other hand, if he doesn't double-build and end the game, I could crank my engine one more time if I called Produce. Besides, my thinking went, Produce was the only phase I could call that wouldn't help him at all.

Or so I thought ...

He calls Dev/Settle (meaning it wouldn't have mattered if I had called a build phase), puts down IL, and uses it to slap down two prod worlds and steal the 4+ prod world goal out of nowhere. This lets him tie me on points, and it comes down to tiebreaker -- determined by cards in hand plus goods on tableau. I have a ridiculous number of cards in hand because Trade League consumed my Alien good for 7 cards, but it doesn't matter, because I have to discard down to 10. And because he put down two prod worlds, thanks to IL, he bizarrely ends up producing more goods than the x2/producer.

So I lose on tiebreak: 44 points + 10 cards + 3 goods to 44 points + 10 cards + 4 goods.

The first (and possibly last) time that calling Produce on the final turn boosts my opponent to the win.

Agh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
Oh, if we're going to start talking about most irksome losses, then this game I played against Guy takes the cake.

The first (and possibly last) time that calling Produce on the final turn boosts my opponent to the win.

Agh.

To quote Tommy Boy: "Dude, that was AWWWWWSOOOOMMME! {chuckles}. Oh, sorry about your car, though. That sucks. {shamefaced}"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
[...]
So I lose on tiebreak: 44 points + 10 cards + 3 goods to 44 points + 10 cards + 4 goods.

Heh i'm notorious for nearly always calling Produce on the last round of 2pa games when i'm the engine guy (when it's certain to be the last turn). Sounds like a loss i deserve.

At least you'll forever (for low values of forever) be immortalized in the record Highest 1-difference tiebreaker score (for closest game, now 14-13, previously 9-8).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.