Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan McAnney
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Thank you for taking a look.

I want to create a home-made "Can't Stop" playing set that retains the recessed spaces on the board, and retains the stackable pieces.

This is going to be challenging, and before I proceed,
I need a better understanding of the game mechanics.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/2875

The language within the pdf of the rules is confusing me somewhat. The major issue I'm having trouble with is terminology: the words "marker" and "colored squares".

The rules begin by stating that game components include three markers, four dice and 44 colored squares (11 each for four players).

The way I remember the game, there should be three makers for EACH PLAYER, in a neutral color. In the commercial version ot the game, these were pyramid shaped. The components list should say actually say "12 markers". Is that interpretation correct?

(I would have vastly prefered that the colored squares be
called "markers" and the neutrally-colored "markers" be instead referred to as "toppers".)

What I desperately need is a better wording of
what these "toppers" indicate, and how the mechanics
function.

Depending on how the rules work, I was thinking of
this as a solution: Use thick wooden disks as playing pieces for the "toppers". Drill a hole in the center of the disk, and glue in dowel. Colored rings, can now slide onto the dowel. Sort of a "topper in reverse".

To make the board: Cut uniform circular holes in a sheet of thin wood, in columns, to form the playing board. Back this with a plain sheet of wood. The holes will be just a bit larger than your wooden disks.

Of course, this physical plan breaks down completely if the mechanics of moving things don't work that way.

The way I remember play going is, you put down a square tile of your color inside a column, then put one of your neutrally-colored pyramid-shaped pieces on it to indicate that you had stopped. Once your three pyramid-shaped toppers were on the board, you had to either keep advancing in one of those columns, or not make a move.

What I don't remember is the mechanics of more than one color being in a column, or being on the same space in a column. I don't remember if more than one pyramid could be in a single column or not....

Sorry, but I'm pretty confused, and the pdf of the rules isn't helping much. I think illustrations would help enormously.

Any suggestions as to how to create the recessed-spaces board, and stackable playing pieces, would also be very much welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three neutral "toppers" is correct. You take turns using them on your turn, and they go away at the end of it, either because you lost your turn or because you replaced them with your colored player markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McAnney
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I am honestly sorry to be so dense, but your answer
isn't clear to me. Would you please consider
re-wording your answer?

You say "Three neutral 'toppers' is correct"
but you do not make clear whether this is three neutral toppers PER PLAYER, as I suspect, or, as the components list states, three neutral toppers in the ENTIRE GAME.

I really am very sorry but the rest of your reply is confusing to me as well.

The only rules I have to go by are here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/2875

Here is a possibly-better way to phrase my questions:

WHEN is a neutral topper placed on the board, or removed from the board?

WHAT is indicated by a neutral topper?

WHEN is a colored square token placed on the board?

WHAT is indicated by the placement of a colored square token?

What governs the stacking of colored tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are three in the entire game.

And the end of each player's turn, the three neutral pieces he was moving that turn are removed from the board. If the player voluntarily ended his turn, he places permanent coloured pieces of his own colour where each neutral piece ended; if his turn ended with a 'bust' roll, they're removed without the placement of any coloured pieces.

But the game only includes and needs three neutral pieces. Each player uses those three on his turn and they go away at end of turn.

Specifically:
WHEN is a neutral topper placed on the board, or removed from the board?

When a player's turn begins there are no neutrals on the board. On the player's turn, after each roll, he introduces or advances one or (if he is able to after the dice-split decision) two neutral pieces on the board corresponding to the two two-dice-sum values chosen as the result of the four die rolls. If he is inctroducing a neutral piece in a column that already has a token of his colour, he begins from that token, otherwise he begins at the bottom of the board. As there are only three neutral pieces, he can only be advancing neutrals in three columns in any given turn. If he makes a roll such that he cannot advance or introduce any neutrals (for instance, in a turn in which he has neutrals advancing in columns 5, 7, and 10, and he rolls 2-2-4-4), he has 'bust' and his turn has ended - neutrals are removed from the board and his colooured pieces are not advances or introduced to the board this turn.

Neutrals are removed from the board when the player's turn ends.

WHAT is indicated by a neutral topper?

Temporary advancement in the current player-turn in up to three columns.

WHEN is a colored square token placed on the board?

When the player voluntarily ends his turn. Permanent coloured pieces are placed on the board in place of the temporary pieces as they are being removed. If this represents further advancement in a column that already had a permanent marker, the old marker is removed (each column only has one permanent marker per colour).

Note that if the player involuntarily ends his turn (IE, makes a roll with which he cannot introduce or advance a neutral marker), his turn ends, neutral markers are removed from the board, no new permanent coloured markers will be added, and (as a result) the board will be returned to the exact same state it had before his turn began.

WHAT is indicated by the placement of a colored square token?

Permanent advancement in that column. A coloured square is indicative of progress that cannot be lost (as compared to the neutral amrkers, which denote progress in the current turn that is lost in the event of a bad die roll).

What governs the stacking of colored tokens?

By standard rules, nothing at all. They share the same space but do not affect one another. It is only variant rulesets that might add variations like "A stacked upon piece can't advance" or such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The original Parker Brothers rules are linked in the Links section:

http://hasbro.com/common/instruct/Can't_Stop.pdf

Maybe you will like those better. There are other English rules in the File s section, so you don't need to go by the BSW rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McAnney
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Thank you. That was a dead link as of April 27, 2010.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McAnney
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks for your help! Now what I need is a source of cheap stackable tiles.

I've got enough "Upwords" tiles to do one set....but I didn't think it through. To fit an upwords tile, the recessed spaces will have to be circles 1 3/9" in diameter....that makes a cumbersomely large board.

I need smaller tiles, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BearCat wrote:
Thank you. That was a dead link as of April 27, 2010.

The file is there, it's just BGG that considers an apostrophe to be an invalid character in a URL so it's cutting the link short. If you highlight and copy that line of text and paste it into your browser's address bar, you'll find the pdf.

Or, click on the slightly modified link that BGG doesn't truncate:

http://hasbro.com/common/instruct/Can%27t_Stop.pdf

For what it's worth, Monopoly spinoff game and thrift store regular Advance to Boardwalk includes stackable coloured squares that are pretty much an exact match for those in traditional plastic-stop-sign-format Can't Stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.