Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a copy or translation of the rules and cards for this version? Or are they going to be the same as the other versions? I have a copy of the AH rules 1999. Any help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The rules should be identical to the ones you have unless the Schmidt edition has the special power cards, in which case you need the rules from the 1995 Avalon Hill edition. Or you could ignore the special power cards. But I don't think the Schmidt edition has them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evil_rabbit wrote:
Does anyone have a copy or translation of the rules and cards for this version? Or are they going to be the same as the other versions? I have a copy of the AH rules 1999. Any help would be appreciated.

This seems to be the major difference between the '93 Schmidt Spiel and the other editions.

Quoted from the very nice article in the weblinks below that tracks the various version of Acquire:

"They actually rethought some of the basic concepts of the game mechanism, and improved upon them dramatically. Rather than drawing tiles with a letter-number combination on them, and having a hand of tiles in front of you, this version uses cards with all the letter-number combinations on them. Your hand is a hand of cards, and when you play a card, it entitles you to place one of the variously colored and shaped hotel pieces on the grid. A side benefit of this is that in the unlikely but possible event that someone put a hotel down in the wrong square, you can just look in the discard pile to find out what was actually played."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:

"They actually rethought some of the basic concepts of the game mechanism, and improved upon them dramatically. Rather than drawing tiles with a letter-number combination on them, and having a hand of tiles in front of you, this version uses cards with all the letter-number combinations on them. Your hand is a hand of cards, and when you play a card, it entitles you to place one of the variously colored and shaped hotel pieces on the grid. A side benefit of this is that in the unlikely but possible event that someone put a hotel down in the wrong square, you can just look in the discard pile to find out what was actually played."

It's a feature bug, not a bug feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Original_CorPse wrote:

Uh, so you're saying you've played this version and you don't care for this change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Original_CorPse wrote:
evil_rabbit wrote:

This seems to be the major difference between the '93 Schmidt Spiel and the other editions.

Quoted from the very nice article in the weblinks below that tracks the various version of Acquire:

That's not actually a rule difference, just a component difference. The rules for playing pieces on the board are identical in all versions. In the Schmidt version, you play a card instead of a tile, is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
Original_CorPse wrote:

Uh, so you're saying you've played this version and you don't care for this change?

I'm saying that the "unlikely but possible event" of someone putting a hotel down in the wrong square is, in fact, easier to fix by looking at the letter-number combination on the tile itself sitting right there on the board rather than by looking through the discard pile.

Just imagine if you bumped the table and had to go back through the entire discard pile to find every card that had been played to put it all back together. Yikes! And, you've have to keep separate the cards discarded as unplayable those from discarded through use.

How in the world cards with indistinguishable tiles is a "dramatic improvement" for this game over distinguishable tiles alone is simply unfathomable. There is no conceivable way in which cards+tiles is a better choice than tiles alone for the game of Acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Original_CorPse wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
Original_CorPse wrote:

I'm saying that the "unlikely but possible event" of someone putting a hotel down in the wrong square is, in fact, easier to fix by looking at the letter-number combination on the tile itself sitting right there on the board rather than by looking through the discard pile.

Just imagine if you bumped the table and had to go back through the entire discard pile to find every card that had been played to put it all back together. Yikes! And, you've have to keep separate the cards discarded as unplayable those from discarded through use.

How in the world cards with indistinguishable tiles is a "dramatic improvement" for this game over distinguishable tiles alone is simply unfathomable. There is no conceivable way in which cards+tiles is a better choice than tiles alone for the game of Acquire.

Well, the person who wrote the original article seems to have played just about every version of Acquire out there, so if he saw something in it, I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. Perhaps you should play this version before you pass judgment on it?

Or maybe the writer was commenting on the aesthetics... not everyone is into filling in a grid with numbered/lettered tiles. Some folks like a little more to look at.

In any case, it'd be neat to see a comment from someone who's played this version and could tell us how it works out in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:

Well, the person who wrote the original article seems to have played just about every version of Acquire out there, so if he saw something in it, I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. Perhaps you should play this version before you pass judgment on it?

Or maybe the writer was commenting on the aesthetics... not everyone is into filling in a grid with numbered/lettered tiles. Some folks like a little more to look at.

In any case, it'd be neat to see a comment from someone who's played this version and could tell us how it works out in practice.

Have you ever played Acquire? [I'm not convinced the author of that article has, actually. The comment regarding the "improvement" is almost incomprehensible.]

Aesthetics would be the only redeeming quality, as I see it, of a card-tile system, but there's no indication that the guy who wrote the article was talking about aesthetics.

It is almost literally impossible to put a numbered tile in the wrong location on any other version of Acquire; anyone can see at the moment you play it that you've played it wrong.

The only way the "unlikely" event could occur in the first place is if the tiles are ambiguous and location is driven only by cards. That's why I called it a bug, not a feature.

I suppose one might argue that it's easier to hold a hand of cards over a hand of tiles, but most of the tiles stand up easily [like Mah Jong tiles], or you could use Scrabble racks.

In fact, looking through the article, that seems to be exactly what the author is arguing. But, the cards create an unnecessary and otherwise non-existent problem. That's all I was saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I have played Acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:
Yes. I have played Acquire.

I'm all the more confused, then! laugh

The problem presumed to have been solved by the "dramatic improvement" of adding cards to the game is only caused in the first place by the method put forth in the article as the solution to the problem... the cards themselves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
The rules should be identical to the ones you have unless the Schmidt edition has the special power cards, in which case you need the rules from the 1995 Avalon Hill edition. Or you could ignore the special power cards. But I don't think the Schmidt edition has them anyway.

So, the Schmidt Edition does have 30 Special Cards (in German of course), along with two variants to use them with.

Maybe I'll see if I can get my buddy who is reasonably fluent in German to do a translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Original_CorPse wrote:
tool wrote:

So, the Schmidt Edition does have 30 Special Cards (in German of course), along with two variants to use them with.

Maybe I'll see if I can get my buddy who is reasonably fluent in German to do a translation.

I'd be astonished if they were not identical to the special power cards that came with the 1995 Avalon Hill edition. The text is available in the Files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

I'd be astonished if they were not identical to the special power cards that came with the 1995 Avalon Hill edition. The text is available in the Files section.

Cool. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input guys. I've actually never played Acquire, but decided to get the German version because it did indeed look much cooler with all the colorful hotels and such. Also I know it's pretty rare and I got it at a good price. I don't speak german, but thought I could find a translation here on the geek, or at least get rules for another version if they are the same. some of the cards do have writing on them, but only a few. maybe 30 ? I Figured these may be the power cards you are refering to, other wise there are cards (a lot) with numbers corresponding to the spaces, so maybe it is a different system?? Not sure? Wish I knew German! Or someone could tell me if the rules are the same or not. I can get a copy to someone if they can translate and tell. Now I'm intrigued. If the rule are the same. I Have a copy of 1999 rules plus I know the Power cards are translated here as well, then I would be good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
South Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest secret agent in the world!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This version is very pretty, has the cool buildings (3 colors, 3 sizes just screaming for a variant) and chain marker signs that fit in the top. The tiles vs cards isn't really a big deal either way. It's one of my favorite versions, but I have to say that there is a drawback in that the buildings are tall enough to obscure spaces behind them so sometimes you have to crane your neck to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
The disadvantage of tiles is that with many players you can hardly avoid that people can see (on purpose or unintentionally)what tiles you have.

The advantage of cards is also that in the case the group forgot whose turn it is, they can look at the discarded cards and then can remember again who played what tile.
It can also helps at fusions. You can see which tile caused the fusion. This is important in order to know if company A or company B was the bigger one.

AAAAAxBB
AAAxBBBB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.