John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting back into playing Arkham Horror after more or less going cold turkey for a few years (with one or two exceptions). Based on my own history with the game plus other things I've read, I don't see myself ever playing it with all 6+ expansions at once. I do own all of them, but I think I'd prefer to stick to a smaller set-up per game, perhaps one big-box expansion and one small-box expansion per game.

That being said, it would seem that there are some expansion cards/components that could be universally kept in play even when not playing with anything else from that specific expansion. For instance, the Injury/Madness cards seem like something that could be used in games without the Dunwich board. Ditto Epic Battle and Ancient One Plot cards in games without Kingsport. Ditto Personal Stories in games without Innsmouth.

What cards/components would you consider universal and want to use even without anything else from that expanion?

I know everyone has different favorites and it will be tempting to say "Never play with Expansion X and always play with Expansion Y" And I'll hopefully get to that point myself, but right now, I'm just trying to make sure we can experience the flavors of the various expansions for a while.

Here is my rough idea on the way we might start playing:
* Randomly choose one small-box expansion and one big-box expansion and use all cards/components from the selected expasions
* Also use Injury, Madness, Epic Battle, Ancient One Plot, and Personal Stories cards, regardless of expansions used
* Randomly choose Investigators and Ancient One from base game plus ALL possible expansions, not just the two selected expansions
* Only use Heralds and Guardians if the associated Ancient One is drawn
* Only use Mythos, Arkham Encounters and Other World Encounters cards from base game plus the selected expansions
* Only use Common Items, Unique Items, Spells and Skills from the base game plus selected expansions (exceptions made for Investigators' starting items)
* Only use Monster tokens from the base game plus selected expansions

Thoughts? Any glaring omissions? Anyone played similarly to this and have feedback?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We seperate the Encounter Decks and Mythos cards from each expansion (big or small) and only play one at a time.

We have a modified deck of items, spells, etc that we use for every game.

We use all the monsters, all the time.

We always play with injury, madness, epic battles, personal stories, all investigators and any of the Ancient Ones.

We tend to match up Heralds with their Ancient Ones especially if we are playing the corresponding expansion.

We rarely use Guardians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
* Only use Mythos, Arkham Encounters and Other World Encounters cards from base game plus the selected expansions

If you have them, leave in the 3 GOO fight OW encounters from CotDP. Just for the threat of them devil .

Quote:
* Only use Common Items, Unique Items, Spells and Skills from the base game plus selected expansions (exceptions made for Investigators' starting items)

I would suggest using all of these regardless of expansions used. Makes Elder Signs more rare, which is pretty essential for a challenging game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also try and read the manuals of the small box expansions for suggestions on how to play them. I know this sounds obvious, but then, that might disappear in the huge crowd of options.

As for myself, I do play with everything mixed into the game all at once, though we never play with all expansion boards. There are some problems that turn up when you do that, like mythos cards opening gates where there can be no gates, and of course dilution. We solve this on a case by case basis, redrawing mythos cards of places that aren't there or that just open gates in Arkham (To combat dilution. The second mythos card in Arkham we always resolve) And this works out quite well for us.

I'm not trying to tell you you should play it like this, I'm just giving you a warning: If you shuffle mythos cards together from different expansions, it will be hell of a lot of work to seperate them all again, so better keep them seperate from the start. If you mix them in together, you probably won't want to bother with taking them out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt V
Denmark
flag msg tools
I only make sure mythos cards and monster markers are expansion specific (and very well shuffeled ).
- I keep monsters separated as for example Innsmouth will come more to life with higher chance of aquatic monster getting drawn and AO added monsters (like masks) will have a higher chance too.
- The mythos card seperation is a must as there are alot of direct references to the expansion board locations.

Otherwise i use all from all sets, location, other worlds, items etc, it seem to work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.