Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that 4P jack might be a little harder since there seems to be a consensus that the detectives have a little bit of an advantage. But vasel mentioned it in his review but I haven't seen anyone talk about "ground rules" for a 3P jack.

I'm assuming basically Player 1.1 takes the detective's first move and Player 1.2 takes the detective's second move. And presumably table talk is discouraged (as in a partnership game).

Just wondering if any of ya'll have tried it out and if you have any hints on the best way to make it run more smoothly. I guess we could always play something else, but just as variant....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I would assume that 2 players playing the detective, alternating their actions, and not allowed to communicate, would do worse than a single player detective, since one player might not realize what the other player intended. They'd have to make simpler moves that don't depend so much on a clever followup by their counterpart, or else risk that their counterpart screws it up.

And I would assume that 2 players allowed to communicate as the detective would do better, since of course 2 pairs of eyes are better than 1 at noticing things, and 2 heads are better than 1 at thinking through the implications of a plan.

PS: This is my opinion about any game, not just the detective side in Mr. Jack. E.g. if I'm playing in a game of Power Grid or Go or anything else, if I have a partner to talk with and ask a second opinion, of course I'll do better generally. But if I have to alternate moves with a partner with whom I can't communicate, then of course we won't have a clear consistent unified strategy and will end up doing worse on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I would assume that 2 players playing the detective, alternating their actions, and not allowed to communicate, would do worse than a single player detective, since one player might not realize what the other player intended. They'd have to make simpler moves that don't depend so much on a clever followup by their counterpart, or else risk that their counterpart screws it up.

And I would assume that 2 players allowed to communicate as the detective would do better, since of course 2 pairs of eyes are better than 1 at noticing things, and 2 heads are better than 1 at thinking through the implications of a plan.

Hmm it makes me think it might actually be a good way to introduce the game to people. If I took Mr. Jack and the two other folks took detectives - and were allowed to talk - then that could make up for (my extremely limited) experience advantage (at least for the second or third plays, because I suspect that this game is very hard to "get" the first time around). It would also increase the infection ratio of the game .

And if turns out that the widely claimed "detective bias" shows up prominently in my playing group, the silent paired detective setup could be a good handicap.

Of course I could always just pull out my copy of China....but I wanna play with my new game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.