Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know when this happened, but nowadays it seems like I tend to watch every DVD I get with the subtitles turned on. It's gotten to the point where watching things without subtitles annoys me a fair amount. My wife and I watched the new Sherlock Holmes flick in the theater a few days back and wished we could somehow figure out what they were saying half the time.

Please tell me I'm not alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone. I couldn't understand anything you yankees say in those flicks, if not for subtitles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye! A new habit of mine.

Why? Because the range of volume between low and loud/deep tones on my TV through blu ray means I would wake everyone up at night if I watched it at the volume needed to hear the low voice tones. I need to jack it up but then an explosion or epic scene is really, really loud.

So I have taken to keeping the volume down at night and reading the sub-titles for the whisper/talking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think that Sherlock Holmes is a bad example. My hearing is fine and I still couldn't understand half the crap they were saying in that movie. They spoke rather strangely and at a very rapid pace. Subtitles are necessary to enjoy that film to the fullest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
I think that Sherlock Holmes is a bad example. My hearing is fine and I still couldn't understand half the crap they were saying in that movie. They spoke rather strangely and at a very rapid pace. Subtitles are necessary to enjoy that film to the fullest.

Agreed. It's an extreme example, but even most shows have one or two moments where someone says something that's hard to understand, even if you rewind it and listen again. Those moments bug me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tom Cruise is the worst for poor enunciation and general mumbling.

Although it probably serves me right for watching any of the drivel in which he "acts".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well that was onix-pected.
Spain
flag msg tools
mb

Playing JRPGs lately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I couldn't understand anything you yankees say in those flicks, if not for subtitles.

Hm, very similar here, we always try to watch movies with subtitles on. Makes it much easier to follow what is going on. One movie particularly stands out when we did not have subtitles on and at times it was hard to understand the heavy Irish accent: In the Name of My Father. A great movie, but what a strong accent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I am not adicted, its part of my nature.
Ever since I can remember here in Portugal about 90 % of foreign productions have subtitles.
Thats why it fells natural to me to see subtitles even when I am playing PC or PS games.

Wich in my opinion is better.
You see, earing Casablanca in german or Die Hard in spanish just turns those movies into commedys, specially Die Hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Me too! I always turn the captions on the TV and it drives the rest of the family crazy. but, I agree, I hate missing a line or two.

The show Lost gives away quite a few hints in the captions that I never would have noticed otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, honestly, don't have this problem. I'm fine without subtitles...in fact, they distract me.

Don't get me started on Closed Captioning and how it over-writes stuff that I actually want to see on the screen.

Does anyone else think a TV with a seperate 3-4 line text display underneath the picture for CC would be a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started using the subtitles on DVDs and have gottten used to it. Also, we notice how much we've missed when we watch a movie we originally watched in the theater or without the subtitles. You miss a heck of a lot without them. I've proven that theory--at least for me/us.

Also, is the volume issue, when we want to watch something after our daughter's bedtime.

I don't find it distracting, and in animated films, it is even more important because you're not seeing a human face/mouth speaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
For non-English language films I prefer them to be subtitled rather than dubbed.

For English language stuff usually not, but it is nice as backup for some people who are hard to understand or if they talk too quickly (there was a scene in The Postman that we rolled back five times and still couldn't understand what somebody said until we turned the subtitles on).

The only other time we use subtitles if they haven't got the sound levels right and the background noise or music is drowning out the voices.

So basically for Emergency use only.

On SBS television in Australia we get a lot of subtitled foreign language stuff, Melissa often finds the English subtitles of German and Austrian stuff funny because of slight changes or variations in translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reminds me of the time I saw an American film dubbed into Greek and subtitled in German - my German not being good enough to translate the content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Must. Watch. With. Subtitles.

Unless it's a DVD and I can go back and listen again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find subtitles distracting unless it's a non-English language film. Reading subtitles with the volume down doesn't convey the emotion that the style of delivery is meant to express. I realize that watching a "foreign" film means that I won't pick up on the specific emotion the actor is trying to send, but I can at least get the general idea from the tone of voice.

Watching a film in English with the subtitles on is irritating because I'm compelled to read them even if I can understand what the actors are saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Avery
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
You're definitely not alone. Ever since we had kids, my husband and I have to watch movies with subtitles on or else we can't understand what on earth is happening. Even when we watch movies after the kids have gone to bed, we've gotten so used to it that we need the words on the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
ordago wrote:

Playing JRPGs lately?

Persona 4. Awesome.

I'm sued to subtitles, I hate dubbed movies, so I got used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
Aye! A new habit of mine.

Why? Because the range of volume between low and loud/deep tones on my TV through blu ray means I would wake everyone up at night if I watched it at the volume needed to hear the low voice tones. I need to jack it up but then an explosion or epic scene is really, really loud.

So I have taken to keeping the volume down at night and reading the sub-titles for the whisper/talking.

You are not alone in this: The sound mix that is good for a movie theater is awful when you don't want anything to be louder than, say, 65db.

A good receiver has features that make explosions not quite so loud, while still making voice easy to hear. They are not perfect, but provide a much better experience than not understanding the voices and missing all the ambient sounds.

For god's sake, if you are willing to fork as much as studios are asking for bluray movies, at the very least buy equipment that will make the audio work well for you. Too many people spend quite a bit of money on video, and get audio on the cheap, forgetting that a good audio system will still be good in 10 years, while a modern TV will be an antique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. DJ FancyLove
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I would have to say I'm one of the lone ones then. I can't stand subtitles. I was actually just forced to watch Coco before Chanel with the gf and it was all subtitles. I hated it. During the movie I was actually thinking it should be dubbed, lol.

I find I end up reading everything on the bottom and not paying attention to what's going on. Then again, I always have my surround sound turned up to where I can hear the voices. Explosions aren't too loud on my system, but I've spent a lot of time messing with the settings to get it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have been watching the anime version of Seven Samurai on DVD. The dialogue is quite a bit quieter than the sound effects and music so I'd like to leave the subtitles on, but the subtitles use a different script than the dubbing. It's so distracting when the text doesn't match the words that the characters are saying that I had to turn the subtitles off and go back to turning the volume up and down. I've noticed this before in other anime, I'm sure they send it to one company to do the dubbing and another to do the subtitles, but I wish they'd do one before the other and match up the scripts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching movies with subtitles makes me feel more cultured.
Unless they are in English, in which case, I just feel old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what it is. Movies no unless foriegn. Dubs I don't like that much. Video games yes as they yield information. Game the games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Another vote for preferring to have captions/subtitles on when watching TV, movies or playing games. In Taiwan, majority of the shows are subtitled (there's no option to turn it off), so I grew up reading them. Honestly, I think it has helped me to retain my ability to read in Chinese even after 20+ years living in the US. A lot of people complain not being able to pay attention to what's on screen while reading, where as I find the process quite natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I used subtitles when watching Ballykissangel, an Irish soap opera that takes place in a small town. I found I missed too much without them, and I learned how certain Irish names are spelled vs Pronounced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.