Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Board to Death TV reviews Runewars.

Steve gives it 9, and Felicia 8.5 out of 10 and they summarize the game thusly.

What's Cool:
Random board every game.
Both a War and a Quest game ( 2 in 1).
Nice production quality.
Great battle system.
Each race has a different alignment.
Heroes' items are hidden from others until used.
Four seasons with different effects.

What's Not:
Typos on the board, cards, and in the rulebook.
No separators in the box to separate all the pieces.
Figurines are a little small.
The dials and mountains increase the price and are unnecessary.

Neutral Information:
Needs a lot of room.
Big, half-empty box.

P.S. I have permission to post the Board to Death reviews at this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i like this review and the detail they went in. i think they should do all game reviews in more detail because sometimes no matter how many times you read it in the book normal spoken english makes more sence. But i will say the Runewars book is well written, unlike starcraft haha. If we have time to sit and play a long board game like this, then we have time to sit and watch a long review explaining how...right haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DanThe Man wrote:
i like this review and the detail they went in. i think they should do all game reviews in more detail because sometimes no matter how many times you read it in the book normal spoken english makes more sence. But i will say the Runewars book is well written, unlike starcraft haha. If we have time to sit and play a long board game like this, then we have time to sit and watch a long review explaining how...right haha.

This is the best video review for this game around. and I like their outraaaageous accents!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this review a couple months ago. It wasn't the best review I've seen, partly because of this:

Yokiboy wrote:
What's Not:
Typos on the board, cards, and in the rulebook.

First, there's only two component mis-prints (the 3 and 6 board tiles with 2 Giants printed on them) that weren't already corrected via an included "replacement sheet"; yet in the review, they seem to be using the incorrect pieces (such as the incorrect Elf sheet)! It's hard to take a review as credible when they aren't even using the right components, especially since the right components were readily available!

Second, I'm not aware of any cards that have any typos on them.

Third, the only typo I know of in the rulebook is where the word "rune" was printed as "tune" - hardly a major typo. The FAQ has a couple errata (only a couple), and both of them are just clarifications that are reasonably obvious anyway.

I think it's especially funny that they seem to be nit-picking the little misprints, but can't even pronounce the word "rout" correctly. It seems to me, if you are going to nitpick, you may want to make sure you aren't doing anything wrong on your end, too.

The conclusion in the review did indeed seem to be positive for this game, but I'm not sure if it really encourages me to watch any more of theier reviews, as while it had a decent production value, the "usefulness" for me fell flat - IE, it didn't impress me much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

I think it's especially funny that they seem to be nit-picking the little misprints, but can't even pronounce the word "rout" correctly. It seems to me, if you are going to nitpick, you may want to make sure you aren't doing anything wrong on your end, too.

I agree with you, this review is very helpful to get an idea of how the game plays but they made it seem like there was an awful lot of errors and yet :

They said the Fortify card allows you to choose ONE of the actions on the card;
They said you can choose to draw an action card (Instead of a Tactics card) in Fall;
A few times, what they shown didn't quite bridge with the examples (Harvesting x number of food/wood/ore yet setting the dials to completely different numbers, showing an example of a quest card asking for a strength test and talking about a wisdom one, etc.)

That being said, there is a lot of work in there and I am thankful for it, I just don't quite get the seemingly major complaint about the typos in the game.

-Marcon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:

I think it's especially funny that they seem to be nit-picking the little misprints, but can't even pronounce the word "rout" correctly.

You realize they are Canadian, right? (Or at least one of the countries that pronounces 'ou' all weird).

Great review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd perhaps believe that if they didn't occasionally pronounce it correctly. More likely, I think they may just not have known the word well enough to know how to pronounce it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.