United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World

For its mechanics and relentless player interactions. I could find fault with the components to a certain extent (board, corruption tokens) but I love the game itself. It's pretty short per play as well which is always a bonus in my circumstances.

I'd certainly pay it instead of a video game but board and video games tickle very different parts of my play brain so I'm not sure how valid the comparison is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The prequisites of playing a video game and playing a board game differ. So I don't think it is a valid question.

Video games are mostly targeted to solo players while board gaming mostly lives on its social aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you post essentially the same question twice? If you want better responses, the answer is to put more effort into the question, not to keep posting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
This should have been a ... oh, nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfenland: It was my introduction into the world of German gaming and I still enjoy it. It's fun, it's interactive, the components are great, it's easy to teach yet challenging to play; it's probably the best 6-player game I have, and it plays in under 2 hours (even with 6). I don't get it to the table near as much as I used to but still look forward to playing it whenever I do. Nostalgia might play a factor as this game led to many (my wife would say too many!) more board game purchases...however, it's become a tradition to play this every Christmas with my best friend's family...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Jeff
United States
Sterling
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play Monopoly instead of a video game devil

Seriously though, Die Macher is my current favorite. It's a game where you are constantly involved, feels like no down time, and a 3-4 hour game feels like it is less than an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mrtech wrote:
Hi What is your favorite game and why, and would you play it instead of a video game?.

Currently my favourite games are the 18xx.

Quote:
Can be any type of game(board,card,tabletop,etc)

Though I have several consoles, I don't play video games as I don't find them interesting. More imply, there's not enough to learn or think about in the video games I've seen or played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrtech wrote:
Hi What is your favorite game and why, and would you play it instead of a video game?.

Can be any type of game(board,card,tabletop,etc)

I think this is an odd question to ask on a boardgame site. I think that most people here will play most boardgames, not just their favorite, instead of a video game.
Do you really expect a boardgamer to say, this is my favorite boardgame, but I'd rather play a video game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video games generally are for solo play yes, though games like World of Warcraft are exceptions to the rule. I think video games are to be valued for their narrative and dramatic scope (increasingly these days, video game developers inject polished cinematics and more complicated stories into their work).

Board games, meanwhile, are, like Chess: more elemental, the focus being less on visual and audio than on the gameplay in and of itself entire. The conversation from the players, therefore, is about the gameplay in and of itself (but also outside topics, just as people who talk over Vent in WoW inevitably talk about RL rather than *just* talking about the raid on the Lich King coming up). Some people dislike board games' more complicated, calculation-requiring gameplay, and feel the gameplay is boring without sufficient bells and whistles, but I disagree with that judgment in most cases. There are some dry games which I won't mention that I think really DO need more bells and whistles though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games for the social side as well as the joy of the actual game. My favourite game would be an RPG, probably any version of Star Wars. RPGs just give so much scope. Board Game, well Star Wars Miniatures. Obviously I love Star Wars; I play the skirmish game and use the minis for role-playing too from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Olin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrtech wrote:
People have said to me that I will never find people interested in boardgames or card games more then they are in computer games, one person on the forum said they rather play any video game then one round of risk

My all-time favorite analog game is Dreamblade. Even though I haven't played it in a while, I would still rank it higher than most of the video games I've played. In general, I prefer board games to video games, but in all honesty I love them both. They just fill different needs for me. That said, I've never met a board gamer who would choose Risk over a video game. But that says more about Risk than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game is Race for the Galaxy. It plays fast, has all sorts of strategies, fits 6 and has a sleek space theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My current favorite game is Topology becourse it has easy rules but you have to think quite much each turn.
But the most important thing is, i miss it, because currently all my Prototypes have been sent to puplishers or competitions.
And if you have a look at the tiles, you will know why i don´t just quick make a fourth copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
My currently favourite board game is Chaos in the Old World. It's packed with player interaction, very thematic, has a lot of strategic and tactical depth, a great mix of mechanics (area control, combat, action point allocation), and the minis look great (particularly when painted). It also plays rather quickly compared to other games among my favourites, like Starcraft or Twilight Imperium.

If you want to get your friends into board gaming, it's maybe better to start off with a lighter title and not one a geek like the ones who will answer in this thread has as his favourite; we tend to like the kind of rules that might be too much complexity at once for people who don't have a game rules background.

Have a look at this list for an example of what non-gamers think about certain games - there's plenty of others with gateway games for non-gamers, but I think this one isn't bad at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie is my favorite, would rather play it then a video game and I think a great one to get your friends away from Video games.

Settlers of Catan would be a great one to play with your friends, it has gotten a lot of my non-gaming friends hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.