Subject: Is money open? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

don't find anything in the rules about that, so will ask you folks: Is the money of every player open? Or can everbody hide his money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly enough If I am wrong, but I think that it is very safe to assume that money is open in almost all of the Winsome train games.

So, to answer your question, yes, it is open.

~Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bradley,

punkzter wrote:

So, to answer your question, yes, it is open.

you must be right! Many thanks for the quick answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we can both wait and see if I eventually get a thumb from John. That will make it official
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Kansas Pacific (unfortunately), but i raised the same question in regard to Chicago Express (thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3309754), which is another Winsome game. Chicago Express (aka Wabash Cannonball) is supposed to be played with open money, yet the rules do not say this.

i find it very odd that there is a rule that everyone is supposed to know but is not stated. also, i have played Chicago Express many times with hidden money and with open money.

i don't think hidden money breaks the game by any means. it does make the game friendlier to newbies, so that's a plus. the open money game is just sharper in every way, and that's also a plus. at my table it has always been a group choice, to play it one way or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
photocurio wrote:
I have not played Kansas Pacific (unfortunately), but i raised the same question in regard to Chicago Express (thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3309754), which is another Winsome game. Chicago Express (aka Wabash Cannonball) is supposed to be played with open money, yet the rules do not say this.

Rules by their nature are permissive. They state what may be done. Everything else can't be done. As the rules don't say money can be hidden, it can't be hidden. The obvious retort is that the rules also don't say that money can be made open, but that logic fails as the money starts open (as it is perfectly trackabla), and thus it is already open. An explicit rule would be required to make it hidden.

The counter-counter retort, uttered by a friend last week, is, Don't be stupid, of course it is open! Its a real game, isn't it?

Quote:
i don't think hidden money breaks the game by any means. it does make the game friendlier to newbies, so that's a plus. the open money game is just sharper in every way, and that's also a plus. at my table it has always been a group choice, to play it one way or the other.

I disagree that it makes the game friendlier or the closed-money game works as well as the open-money game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.