Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargaming Requested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey there folks!

I've entered the "world of wargaming" about a year ago, a bit more maybe. After several purchases on the solo wargaming side, and being pretty satisfied with the result this far, I'm starting to think about getting a wargame I could introduce my gaming group into....

Now hold it right there Before calling me a mad-man ... I know I know ffs! That's not the way to go, one has to "prepare" them, slowly, gently ... and so on and so forth.

And I'm at it, we are slowly drifting away from games like Bang, Carcassone and Settlers ... and are playing games with a bit more substance, so to speak.

Games like Arkham Horror, [=Risk][/] and the soon to arrive game frmo ebay, Nexus Ops and War of the Ring (First Edition), I guess accomplish to provide a not-so-steep learning curve, and we are doing really well, no complaints this far!

But where I'd like to end up is still a bit away ... I've been looking into SPQR (Deluxe Edition), and the idea of up to 4 players really seduces me; but having only one review and comment whatsoever about it's multiplayer capability scares me away a bit.

So here comes my request to you knowledgeable people arrrh

A wargame that plays in under 2 hours, is not on the hard-core complex side of the spectrum, and .... here comes the breaker: 4+ player capability ninja

Now I know this won't be easy to fulfill, but I'm sure you folks will have an answer even to this hard task!

Oh and ... Axis and Allies with all it's vast supply of versions and clones hmm ... nah, not on top of my list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb

SPQR is a great game, but it is too long I think for your needs, also I don't think it would be a great 4 player (although the right scenario might be ok).

As for a good game, I can't think of a great one of the top of my head for you Napoleon's Triumph might work ok for you. You could also look at epic Commands & Colors: Ancients. Another possibility might be Friedrich or Successors (third edition), but neither play under 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would warn you not to get them to ease into wargames with games that take 3+ hours to play. While many deep wargames take that long it can quickly become boring for folks. There's plenty of downtime compared to most Euros and game group favorites which is an immediate turn-off for most non-wargamers.

I would focus on 3 things:

1 - Ease of Rules - Something you can explain quickly that has combat. Nexus Ops is a great example. Another would be Wings of War.

2 - Fun Theme - Something that will bridge the gap between a euro-game and a wargame. Again, Nexus Ops & Wings of War fit the bill pretty darn well.

3 - Something with depth to both movement and combat rules - Again... Nexus Ops & Wings of War again jump to mind.

If you get some buy-in then I might move forward by presenting the themes of the games you own and might bring.

Jumping in to American Civil War, Napoleonic Wars, or World War 2 can be pretty intimidating because of the scale.

A nice step up might be to say, "If you enjoyed tonight's game I have a few others you might like. In one you take command of a ship like the movie Master & Commander (you could probably do WSIM or Flying Colors). In another game you play cards to recreate battles from World War 2 in about 30-45 minutes (Memoir '44)."

Those are some next step games that'd probably work. Once you get folks enjoying the decision making and the whole hex thing it's easier to introduce other games. Conflict of Heroes & Combat Commander come to mind as the "introductory wargame" leaders right now. Both offer old hands a lot of enjoyment while remaining accessible to new players.

After a while in those introductory games you could step into other things. I'd just build up slowly. Often the games I was least attracted to try were the ones that people introduced slowly and over time. The strategy combinations stuck in my head. I think my latest experience with that was Hansa Teutonica which is easily my favorite game I don't own right now. Another one that just sucked me in was Homesteaders because it can be approached in so many different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkS0uL wrote:

A wargame that plays in under 2 hours, is not on the hard-core complex side of the spectrum, and .... here comes the breaker: 4+ player capability ninja

Now I know this won't be easy to fulfill, but I'm sure you folks will have an answer even to this hard task!

Oh and ... Axis and Allies with all it's vast supply of versions and clones hmm ... nah, not on top of my list

Axis and Allies with 4 players will take more than 2 hours, but it's a pretty good game.

I'd recommend Memoir '44. The Overlord scenarios take up to 8 players total. I don't think you'll get one finished in under 2 hours, at least until everyone knows the rules. Once the rules and game play are "in the bag," a group could play one in about 2 hours, and it's a lot of fun. You DO NOT need all (or any) of the expansions, including the Memoir '44: Overlord expansion. You need two copies of the base game, and can download the Overlord rules from the DOW website.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Condotierre
East Front 2 (Each player commands a specific headquarters and you play specific time periods of the War in Russia)
Wellington (4 player game on the Spanish campaign from 1812 - 1814 during the Napoleonic Wars)
Struggle of Empires

Hope this helps in your search for a short but easy multi-player wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Woodson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the games my group likes are:

Twilight Imperium (Fantasy Flight)
StarCraft (Fantasy Flight)
Descent (Fantasy Flight)
Fortress America (milton bradley)
Axis & Allies Revised (milton bradley)
Axis & Allies Battle of the Bulge (Avalon Hill)
War of the Ring (Fantasy Flight)
Conquest of the Empire II (Eagle Games)

Ancients (GMT) is a half step up which can easily play four

EastFront is an excellent game but would be a full step up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in airplane games then Wings of War is less than 2 hours and the skys the limit on number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manoeuvre is a 2 player game. But you can set up 2 parallel games at once without too much trouble. With some house rules, you can even combine the two into a single bigger battle.

Try it, its quite cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, most of the above suggestions are either not for 4+ players, and in 90% of the cases take something like 3+ hours to play, and not less than 2.

I think you should take a look at Conquest of Paradise - its a simple, short empire-building game, with conflict/war included as an option, if someone starts running for the victory.

Beautiful game.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you take a look at The Hell of Stalingrad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
If a Sci-fi theme is acceptable, I can recommend Galactic Emperor. It's fairly simple and it feels a bit like a eurogame. They say it's like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire meets Puerto Rico. It has hex movement and plastic space ships

An alternative game to introduce a bit of military conflict could be Antike. It has extremely simple rules, but retains a (relatively) deep strategy element. Also the units are wooden meeple like, which may be comforting whistle

Finally I would like to second the suggestion of Axis and Allies. I would stronly recommend that you go for Axis & Allies: 1942.
+It supports 2-5 players (IMO 2 or 4 is ideal).
+It is the simplest A&A game for more than 2 players.
+It is very cheap compared to what you get.
+Contrary to the other games I mentioned, it is a two-team game. This may be an advantage if you have different levels of experience in your play group.

Edit: Forgot to mention play times.
GE: ~3 hours
Antike: ~2-3 hours
A&A: I havent played the 1942 edition, but it should play faster than the other editions. I guess 2-4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second RLarsen's vote for Conquest of Paradise. It's just plain fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you so much to all of you!

I'm very glad to now have such a huge range to look into, which I will certainly check out!

Luckily it's still no pressing matter, so I will have time to carefully read any reviews and sessions I come by So in case any other title ocurrs to you, go ahead with it!

I'll keep you folks informed if I find some hot-candidate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Successors (third edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.