Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ritual de lo Habitual rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After many lengthy internal debates on what my initial journal entry would consist of, I was enlightened as I walked into the guest room/game room/ hobby room this evening. I've read so many other journals; I just couldn't come up with a topic that didn't feel rehashed or regurgitated in some fashion. So what would be a good topic? I anguished over this, lamented over that, and just didn’t feel I had anything to contribute. But I digress...

Like I said, I was inspired just by walking into this overstuffed room that seems to be a catch-all of late. We’ve got stuff from every aspect of our life that gets laid out and only put away when we have overnight guests (its been months since her parents were here, so it will be quite a chore to carefully place everything into the closet, which is where most of my games are stored. Again I digress...

My computer resides in a teeny/tiny computer armoire that we purchased from Hold Everything while we lived in NYC. It was a life saver at the time, allowing us to not only neatly organize the computer, but to add a couple of cubic feet more to much needed storage space. Our apartment was a tidy 460 sq feet, so space was more than a commodity...

On top of the armoire, in addition to our scanner, there is a player’s aid that is still used for any game that involves ‘throwing the bones’ so to speak. It’s a beautifully crafted dice tower I bought some years ago, and surprisingly the man who made and sold it still has his web site active
http://www.dicetower.20m.com/

Noticing my walnut stained oak tower got me to thinking. We all log into the Geek for some reason or another, seeking knowledge, entertainment or just browsing for all things game related. And in all this game geekiness, I couldn’t recall much discussion in the way of gaming accessories. We all talk about this game and that, how it plays. We compare the new version with previous (same as the old boss?). We even rant from time to time. But what is out there that we like to have by our side when we settle in for a nice night of gaming?

What I want to know is this: What do other Geekers have sitting on top of their computer cabinets that they feel contributes to their ultimate gaming satisfaction? It doesn’t have to be something purchased explicitly for gaming. Heck, it could be something out there on the fringe of what most of us would even consider.

Replies are solicited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No gaming knick-knacks near my computer. However, I did put the song "Three Days" on a mix for my little sister (junior in high school), because I think she'd like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmid
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, I'm in a 3-person dorm room, so I would have my whole (limited) game collection sitting just a few feet above my computer. That way it's really easy to glance up and find a distraction from homework, not that I need it. Now I only need to find people to play with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX:

Of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eileen Duffy
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopets cards for my 5 year old, and 7th Sea and Lord of the Rings cards for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cry Bills! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power tools + spare wood = ...
A dice tower (not nearly as nice as those for sale on the web), a resource card tray for SoC, some homemade (and store bought) wood puzzles, and an assortment of games.

I have a rather large corner desk with an armoire so there still plenty of room to do actual work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Watts
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What else
What is on the desk wherein my computor sits? What else but computor games. I don't have nearly the amount of computor games as I do board games but it's still a fair amount. (probably around 30 or so)
My most favorite game accessory though is my dice sock. It's just an old white gym sock filled with dice. It had a duel purpose back in the day when I ran a lot of RPG's. The dice were used for the game and the sock was used to wipe off my mega-map. There are many fond memories in the multi-colored stains on that old dice sock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.