Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: ...and one more question...:))) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I order first Descent expansion Well of Darkness! Is this gonna improve the base game & how??? My players is so good that if i don't get 'em in first hour it's always a "long night" for me as Overlord! When they get the bloody items from chests it's over for me right there! My monsters is a easy meat for them and they just run over trough the end of quest (always with 10-15 conquest tokens)! It's really irritating for me! I only wins when i get lucky on dices (very rare) in first half-hour (before they open chest or teleport stone) or they made a stupid mistake or something! Now when they knows the rules, it's even harder for me because they plans every step carefully! Is this expansion gonna help me to match 'em trough game from start to end of quest???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocinetu wrote:
I order first Descent expansion Well of Darkness! Is this gonna improve the base game & how??? My players is so good that if i don't get 'em in first hour it's always a "long night" for me as Overlord! When they get the bloody items from chests it's over for me right there! My monsters is a easy meat for them and they just run over trough the end of quest (always with 10-15 conquest tokens)! It's really irritating for me! I only wins when i get lucky on dices (very rare) in first half-hour (before they open chest or teleport stone) or they made a stupid mistake or something! Now when they knows the rules, it's even harder for me because they plans every step carefully! Is this expansion gonna help me to match 'em trough game from start to end of quest???

The quests are generally significantly harder, there are new monsters and a new OL mechanic (Treachery) which allows you to customise and strengthen your deck a little bit.
There are also new heroes and probably new skills and treasures/shop items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that , but in practice , IS THIS GONNA IMPROVE OVERLORDS CHANCE TO STAND IN FRONT OF HEROES TROUGH WHOLE GAME??? Or they just destroy me , when they pickup their treasure items...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WoD and AoD are generally said to improve the OL, ToI is said to improve the Heroes.

And some free advice: lose the capslock, it won't make you any friends. And if it does I don't think it's the type you'd want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocinetu wrote:
I know that , but in practice , IS THIS GONNA IMPROVE OVERLORDS CHANCE TO STAND IN FRONT OF HEROES TROUGH WHOLE GAME??? Or they just destroy me , when they pickup their treasure items...:what:

The quests are generally significantly harder, there are new monsters and a new OL mechanic (Treachery) which allows you to customise and strengthen your deck a little bit.
There are also new heroes and probably new skills and treasures/shop items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is about game balance! Is there any balance between heroes and Overlord trough game??? I know that trachery would be nice, but how i'm gonna survive heroes when they get those gold items??? I mean armor 3 (plus their base armor), tons of dices to throw and so. Monsters that i summon can't do any harm to them! Is there some Overlord cards that gives me chance to summon some real threat to heroes, like Giants, Ogres or Nagas (Dragons & Demons are too strong i think)??? Only monsters that gives some trouble to heroes is Master Sorcerer & Master Hellhound, but if they have activated guard order they are all dead even before they get a shot! Even when they get a chance, they are dead when heroes turn starts! They are just too weak to heroes attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocinetu wrote:
My question is about game balance! Is there any balance between heroes and Overlord trough game??? I know that trachery would be nice, but how i'm gonna survive heroes when they get those gold items??? I mean armor 3 (plus their base armor), tons of dices to throw and so. Monsters that i summon can't do any harm to them! Is there some Overlord cards that gives me chance to summon some real threat to heroes, like Giants, Ogres or Nagas (Dragons & Demons are too strong i think)???

1) Please don't shout, I don't like to be yelled at. Also, proper capitalization, spelling, and punctuation will get you a long way.

2) Corbon has answered your question already, twice. YES, the Overlord has new monsters and new cards for his deck. YES there are more powerful spawn cards. YES the quests are more difficult for the Heroes and you will win more often as an Overlord.

3) If you already enjoy the game enough to post about it and ask questions, just do yourself a favor and buy the expansion. You'll be pleased with the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Loviska

Zeeland
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you get anything that can pull out huge monsters in those expansions. Maybe there is a summon ogre card in there, but you only get 1 for around 5 threat (I think). I'd say no matter what expansion you play, once the heroes get gold treasure you've already lost as overlord. I think the only expansion that fixes this is Road to Legend, and that changes the whole game completely.

I would also say don't underestimate the power of trap cards. They are usually more powerful than summon cards because the damage will go through armor. I usually just use summons to slow down the heroes and chip them away with trap cards and the little monster hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for aswers. I have one more (maybe stupid) question. We play game that when monster attack heroes (and vice versa), after monster finished his attack, heroes get their attack (chance for hit back). Is this by the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocinetu wrote:
Thank you all for aswers. I have one more (maybe stupid) question. We play game that when monster attack heroes (and vice versa), after monster finished his attack, heroes get their attack (chance for hit back). Is this by the rules?

Are you saying that after every monster attack, the attacked hero gets a chance to strike back? I don't have the hero and talent cards in front of me so I may have left out some Hero ability/talent that allow this but generally speaking, unless the Hero declares a Ready-Guard action during his turn, he cannot strike back during the OL's turn. All monsters attack unchallenged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maskmanjoe wrote:
Jocinetu wrote:

Are you saying that after every monster attack, the attacked hero gets a chance to strike back? I don't have the hero and talent cards in front of me so I may have left out some Hero ability/talent that allow this but generally speaking, unless the Hero declares a Ready-Guard action during his turn, he cannot strike back during the OL's turn. All monsters attack unchallenged.

OMG, we plays Descent (base game) about a year and wrong! It's obviously because we plays lot of D&D! Damn... It's gonna change our game dramatically... But i like it. Now i as a Overlord can't lose my monters easy like before...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:

1) Please don't shout, I don't like to be yelled at. Also, proper capitalization, spelling, and punctuation will get you a long way.

I'm not a fan of the caps lock key either, but give the guy a break on his spelling. He's Serbian, and he's troubling to communicate with us in our language.

Edited a bungle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a doubt about guard order. Does hero with guard order prepared can interupt monster that attack other hero that stands besides them or move by them & attack him? We plays that he can only attack monster if monster try to attack him particularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes - A hero with a Guard order can attack any monster he wants to, and at any time during the Overlords turn. But he doesn't get to move at all.

So if the hero is using a Melee weapon such as a sword or an axe then he can only attack a monster which is right next to him.

But a hero using a Ranged or Magic weapon can attack any monster in his line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dfiler76 wrote:

A hero with a Guard order can attack any monster he wants to, and at any point during the Overlords turn. But he doesn't get to move at all.

Of course, if the hero is using a Melee weapon such as a sword or an axe then he can only attack a monster which is right next to him.

A hero using a Ranged or Magic weapon can attack any monster in his Line of Sight.

Thanks Doug! Is that mean that hero can attack multiple times during Overlords turn (so it could be possible that hero with range/magic attack kill all monsters that step into their line of sight before they even have a shot) ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No - Unless you have a special ability you are only allowed 1 attack using a guard action.

But if you are using a Blast weapon then you can aim it at a monster and hurt all the other monsters in the Blast area.

Or if you have a special skill such as Cleaving, Rapid Fire or Quick Casting, then you may use it to make an extra attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dfiler76 wrote:

No - Unless you have a special ability you are only allowed 1 attack using a guard action.

But if you are using a Blast weapon then you can aim it at a monster and hurt all the other monsters in the Blast area.

Or if you have a special skill such as Cleaving, Rapid Fire or Quick Casting, then you may use it to make an extra attack.

Cool , you explain in to me very nice & clearly. Thanks man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Glad I could help. Enjoy your game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.