Subject: Sent to a location with a gate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The other day I was playing a solo game (base game only), and I got an encounter at a place (I forgot where...I think it was the Church.), which involved in "sending me to the woods, draw two encounter card, and resolve one that I preferred.". However, there was already a gate there (no monsters).

That's where I wasn't too sure about the rules: do I still do the two location card draw and resolve one, or is my "encounter" now becomes the gate, just like if I were to go there normally (since the gate overrides the encounters of a location to "being sucked into the gate", no?) Or, is it "resolve the encounter from the location card" then "getting sucked in" as usual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A Gate replaces the location completely so you do not have access to the encounters. Since it told you to "have an encounter" you would instead get drawn through the gate and sent to the Other World. During Phase 4, you would have an OW encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
During Phase 4, you would have an OW encounter.

Isn't he already in Phase 4 and now Delayed, and wouldn't draw again immediately? (Presuming that was how he got his encounter at the Church).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, that was pretty dumb of me, I checked the rules and thought both AH Encounters and OW encounters were both Phase 4. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so the investigator is delayed?? and draw 2 OW encounter cards using one only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the gate was already there, the investigator is not delayed. It's only when a new gate opens underneath you that you get delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And he only draws one OW encounter (drawing until the colour matches the OW). The instruction to draw 2 encounter only applies to phase 3: Arkham Encounter. He spent that phase being sucked into the OW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, the encounter instructed him to have 2 Arkham Encounters. Since the Gate is there, the original encounter is ignored except for the fact he must travel through the gate.

Since the gate was already opened, he is not delayed in this case. Regardless, he would still have one OW encounter per the normal rules and flow of the game.

Because even if he was delayed, you still have encounters and engage monsters. Being delayed only prevents you from moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
That makes sense. Thanks everyone for answering my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.