Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tor Inge Johannessen
Norway
Vestby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I played a 2 player game last night with a friend, where we reduced the numbers so we got a lot of cities with just one cube. And the game was over pretty quick.

After the game I noticed there was some posts here about reducing or not, but there are no official clarification.

A quick game is not necessary a bad thing. We can perhaps use both versions: One for a quick 2 and 3 player game. And one for a bit longer one. But I would really appreciate if there were some official wording about this. One of the options might break the game.

Edit:

There's a similar discussion in Railways of Europe forum with a summary post here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2573363#2573363
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have read you can play a shorter game with reduced cubes or a longer regular game with standard number of cubes. I would not reduce the cubes for 3 players.

EndersGame wrote:
8. Scales better. Unlike the base game, the full number of cubes should be used for two and three player games, and this map works fantastic that way. The number of empty city markers that triggers the game end is slightly different: 2 players (9), 3 players (11), 4 players (13), 5 players (15). But there’s no doubt that for a two or three player game, this is a much better choice than the original game, and plays very well.

Also this thread: How does it play with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anaconda wrote:
A quick game is not necessary a bad thing. We can perhaps use both versions: One for a quick 2 and 3 player game. And one for a bit longer one. But I would really appreciate if there were some official wording about this. One of the options might break the game.

I believe that Sean Brown made some comment along those lines.

If he didn't I think he'd probably say something along the lines of "play it with any amount that gives you a game length you're happy with". But, as I said before I'm pretty sure he already said something along those lines.

Personally, I've found that increasing the number of cubes can lead to interesting games. Several of the early games we played felt like they ended just as the stock issues and mergers were ready to get interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Inge Johannessen
Norway
Vestby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tried playing this tonight with no cube reduction. And it worked much better. You can control the end of the game now. And a lot of interesting routes was created with level 4,5 and 6 trains. This wasn't possible in the previous try with less cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvicolus wrote:
I would not reduce the cubes for 3 players.

I agree.

We tried playing a 3 player game with reduced cubes, and because there are so many cities with single cubes that are easy to deliver, the cities empty out quickly, and the game end was triggered before the game really got going. There's certainly no chance the major lines will factor into the game, or that you'll make any longer deliveries. On that particular occasion we agreed to save the game by adding an extra five empty city markers to the game end condition, just to ensure we still made a game of it and had an enjoyable time.

I'd definitely recommend using the full cube setup for 2-3 player games on this map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed we played 3P with all the cubes tonight and it was still a pretty quick game. Wouldn't have gotten going at all with fewer cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.