Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like these promo cards and I hope they continue, however, I'd prefer they released two at a time and go through the BGG route with adequate supply. What they did with Envoy and Black Market was perfect marketing. I have full confidence when I purchase items through the BGG store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
They told us at one point their would be more information coming on the details of how we could get Stash. It would have been nice if we found out from RGG first instead of someone finding it in a local store and posting it. If we knew our FLGS had an option of carrying Stash we would have been letting them know to order it for us.

Hopefully we'll have an answer soon on some other good options to get Stash other than ebay in the US.

I'm all for more promo cards in the future, just tell us how we can get them before they are released to a small number of stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twbumr wrote:
I'm all for more promo cards in the future, just tell us how we can get them before they are released to a small number of stores.

Let's say someone else gets it before you. So what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
twbumr wrote:

Get your straw man out of here. I'm pretty sure the complaint is not that a few people in Minnesota have the card before anyone else but rather that apart from that everyone else is still clueless about how it will be distributed, which is a valid complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the base game or Intrigue or Seaside, then you have a set of blank cards. For those people really in need of playing Stash, merely flip those blank cards over and play a game with your new proxy Stash cards. The card back is now different and easily recognizable.

I'm sure Stash will be made available to all who want it. Patience.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/716473/dominion-stash-promo-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not at all upset, and I think everything will be just fine in the long run (everyone will get their cards at decent prices eventually.) But I do think RGG pretty much dropped the ball on both this and Alchemy, considering how much and how well they've communicated with this community regarding past releases.

When was the last time we got any sort of official word on Alchemy or Stash? Long before Stash cropped up in MN. Even before Alchemy was available in OH? As of the past month or two, all information has been gleaned from outside sources (foreign markets, sellers' sites) and we've had nothing from the proverbial horse's mouth. Which would be fine, I guess, if past experience hadn't given us different expectations. I mean, didn't Donald say last week that we'd be getting an Alchemy preview this week? Heck, as of last week, the game was supposed to have been available already.

As I said, though, I've got no hard feelings; but that doesn't change the fact that the whole situation has been royally bungled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
twbumr wrote:

Like Luce said, I don't care someone got it before me, I'd just like to know when and how it will be available to the general public.

http://www.riograndegames.com/news.html?id=14
2010-03-26
Rio Grande Games Website wrote:

We also will soon have a new promo card for Dominion, the “Stash” card and will also be offering sets of blank cards for the creative among you. As soon as we have details on how to get these, I will let you all know.

It would have been nice to get an update before it was sent to several gaming shops. I'm sure the places that got it would have gotten some increased traffic if people knew they were getting it early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Salt-Man Z wrote:
I mean, didn't Donald say last week that we'd be getting an Alchemy preview this week? Heck, as of last week, the game was supposed to have been available already.

Sorry, that's just me. I don't know what the deal with Stash is; I personally only have the Japanese version, which came with their strategy guide. I'm sure they didn't want to delay Alchemy, and they said May 7th, so, probably that's the date. The preview though, that's just because I haven't written it. I wrote the Secret History months ago, but they're so much easier. When I saw that the set was pushed back, I thought, hooray, more time for this preview, and went back to working on something else. Anyway I will get it to W. Eric before the set comes out at least, and post the Secret History at about the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the update Donald, I'm looking forward to the Secret History post for Alchemy since it wasn't originally a 12 card set. I'm curious to read about how you decided which cards to put in and what you may do with the cards that didn't make it into Alchemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a reply from Jay at RGG.

If you haven't guessed yet, he has made them available to FLGSs at their request. He is hoping to have them availble to the general gamer public very soon... most likely through the BGG store.

So stop paying crazy prices on eBay. It will be here soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatylr wrote:
Like I said above, they have really bungled this promo release, especially in comparison to how successful Black Market/Envoy was.

And you're entitled to your opinion... I will just sit here and wait patiently until Jay is ready to release it. Remember, it's a promotional item. How can you bungle the release of a promotional item? Maybe if he released 20 years from now when the hype for Dominion has died down...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The promotion for which the card was issued has come and gone. Personally, I'm glad that Jay is committed to making it widely available and not a limited release promo. Releasing a single card certainly seems to be more trouble than it's worth, especially since it looks like Jay is losing money on the deal.

Then again, I have my Stash, so you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
The promotion for which the card was issued has come and gone.
What was the promotion for which it was issued?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

I don't remember. I vaguely remember seeing that it was driven by the German market, like the other promos. Maybe I'm just hallucinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
puck71 wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

In Germany as in other places, hobby stores are important to the industry. However in Germany, unlike in other places, chain stores will stock games that are sufficiently high-profile, i.e. that win the SdJ. And they can charge less than the hobby stores can.

So the Germans wanted something to give to the hobby stores, to help them compete with the chain stores. That something ended up being Stash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gatylr wrote:

I for one, hope this is the last 'promotional' card they release.

I just don't get this attitude. So you would rather no one get future promotional cards, than that only a few get them?

I really enjoy the game too. And want my set to be as complete as possible as well. But I certainly don't think I'm entitled to the 'promo' cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
The promotion for which the card was issued has come and gone. Personally, I'm glad that Jay is committed to making it widely available and not a limited release promo. Releasing a single card certainly seems to be more trouble than it's worth, especially since it looks like Jay is losing money on the deal.

Then again, I have my Stash, so you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I don't see why he'd have to lose money. If people are OVERPAYING on ebay, he should be able to charge a fair price, make a bit of profit, and make the card available at a cost that doesn't kill him. Heck, if the set cost him $2.50, I am guessing he could sell all of them to BGG for $2.75, let them sell them for $3.50 plus shipping and it would be done tomorrow.

Then again, I am a network technician, who plays Dominion on the weekends - what do I know about game distribution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

I don't see why he'd have to lose money. If people are OVERPAYING on ebay, he should be able to charge a fair price, make a bit of profit, and make the card available at a cost that doesn't kill him. Heck, if the set cost him $2.50, I am guessing he could sell all of them to BGG for $2.75, let them sell them for $3.50 plus shipping and it would be done tomorrow.

Then again, I am a network technician, who plays Dominion on the weekends - what do I know about game distribution

A few people are paying absurd prices. That does not mean that most people will be willing to pay $8 for one Kingdom card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
A few people are paying absurd prices. That does not mean that most people will be willing to pay $8 for one Kingdom card.

I would look at it as supporting BGG and getting a bonus card, not the other way around. I do see your point, but once it is here, a place most of us really appreciate, it becomes (for me at least, and I would think for others too) a different thing than it would be to pay $8.00 to a gameshop for a single card.

Mind you, I get the feeling our local shops need the support too, but hell, that's another story altogher...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
In Germany as in other places, hobby stores are important to the industry. However in Germany, unlike in other places, chain stores will stock games that are sufficiently high-profile, i.e. that win the SdJ. And they can charge less than the hobby stores can.

So the Germans wanted something to give to the hobby stores, to help them compete with the chain stores. That something ended up being Stash.

I find it absolutely shocking that North America is SO profit-driven that great games never even get close to the big-box stores.

How absolutely great (and accessible) games like Dominion, Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride can be largely ignored by the big-box stores here is a travesty. I'm not saying that all the games in the top 100 belong there (lord knows Die Macher and Caylus and PowerGrid are probably well beyond Wallymart's demographic IQ), but really some games are accessible, they are easy to learn, and, in the case of Dominion and Ticket to Ride, they are almost universally liked after just one or two plays by new players.

Just wondered if you or Dale or Valerie has any stories to share on this train of thought? Seriously, you must have at least considered taking Dominion into some of these big chains at some point??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
donaldx wrote:

I find it absolutely shocking that North America is SO profit-driven that great games never even get close to the big-box stores.

How absolutely great (and accessible) games like Dominion, Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride can be largely ignored by the big-box stores here is a travesty. I'm not saying that all the games in the top 100 belong there (lord knows Die Macher and Caylus and PowerGrid are probably well beyond Wallymart's demographic IQ), but really some games are accessible, they are easy to learn, and, in the case of Dominion and Ticket to Ride, they are almost universally liked after just one or two plays by new players.

Just wondered if you or Dale or Valerie has any stories to share on this train of thought? Seriously, you must have at least considered taking Dominion into some of these big chains at some point??

I don't know for certain, but I'd venture to guess that the combination of risk inherent in printing a sufficient number of games to stock the big stores combined with the cost of building an infrastructure to support a major retailers distribution requirements would make it totally out of the question. Combine that with the fact that Wal-Mart would probably demand a retail price point of $14.99, and it just doesn't make financial sense. Beyond that, even with the relative success and accessibility of a game like Dominion in the hobby market, without a major advertising and marketing campaign most of that product would sadly end up gathering dust while "Scene It: Emo Vampire Pr0n Edition" flies off the shelf next to it.

All that said...Donald, if you ever give it a go and need someone to manage the distribution and logistics piece, give me a holler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
elkabong wrote:

I don't really know much about it, but someone once told me that Ticket to Ride wasn't in chains because the way the chains worked was, they wanted the game company to buy back any copies that didn't sell. And the chains would want so many copies that if this ended up happening, the game company would be in trouble. So it isn't in chains.

That's just the word on the street! It sounds plausible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stoodster wrote:
I just don't get this attitude. So you would rather no one get future promotional cards, than that only a few get them?

No, no, no.

By offering promotional item, OCD gamers get pissed off chasing down stuff. And there are *many* OCD gamers. Their attitude becomes, "Oh, I can't get all the cards, so I won't bother getting into the game."

Hmm. Sounds familiar. Almost MAGICal. As if THEre were a GATHERING of potential customers who didn't like COLLECTing A BLEssed CARD GAME.

Oh, and yeah, chains. TSR, best known for Dungeons and Dragons, released a collectible dice game called Dragonstones or something. Appeared in all the major Waldenbook chain stores. Until Waldenbooks decided that the game didn't sell, and wanted their money back. IIRC, That combined with TSR's idea of D&D-related novels (uh huh) put TSR out of business.

Thankfully, some guy with a suitcase bought TSR, but that's another story. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I don't know for certain, but I'd venture to guess that the combination of risk inherent in printing a sufficient number of games to stock the big stores combined with the cost of building an infrastructure to support a major retailers distribution requirements would make it totally out of the question. Combine that with the fact that Wal-Mart would probably demand a retail price point of $14.99, and it just doesn't make financial sense. Beyond that, even with the relative success and accessibility of a game like Dominion in the hobby market, without a major advertising and marketing campaign most of that product would sadly end up gathering dust while "Scene It: Emo Vampire Pr0n Edition" flies off the shelf next to it.

I'm convinced that Scene It, Life, and Monopoly : Emo Vampire Pr0n Edition sell well only because they're bought as thoughtless birthday gifts and never actually played by anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I'm convinced that Scene It, Life, and Monopoly : Emo Vampire Pr0n Edition sell well only because they're bought as thoughtless birthday gifts and never actually played by anyone.

Definitely...I have a copy of "Utahopoly" someone got me for Xmas about ten years ago....I live in Illinois and I don't think I've ever even seen Utah. It's not even out of shrink yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.