Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Tanto Cuore» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Dominion in a Japanese maid costume – review of Tanto Cuore, complete with card list. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion in a Japanese maid costume
a review of "Tanto Cuore"

Introduction
First, a disclaimer. I have only played Tanto Cuore a handful of times, which means I haven't played all the cards. So don't expect this review to contain a full analysis of the card balance. I have, however, played Dominion enough times to quite fully understand what this game is about, as this is Dominion with a few twists.
Also, I've been an anime geek for two decades. I'm old enough not to jump over cute anime maids with my heart filled of pure and sincere love (like I would have done 10 years ago), but I've been on the train long enough to allow myself a smirk and realize that the humour added with having an all-maid Dominion actually adds a lot. For me.

So, I can't really judge how theme-based Tanto Cuore is. As an old anime geek, I'm already biased. And in order to fully analyze the card balance, you need hundreds of games under your shirt (No, not "under your belt". These games land under your shirt.) which I haven't got. However, I do know enough to give an introduction of the game, and I also include a card list for the Dominion aficionados who would like to analyze for themselves.

Components
Tanto Cuore consists of 280 cards, and comes in a small box. The box is pretty cheap cardboard, but it's small and handy. (Yeah, I really disliked the huge Dominion box.) There is some air in the Tanto Cuore box, probably to make room for the expansion, but not much. You also get cardboard "Place holders" for the different card piles, which is actually quite nice.
The cards leave nothing to wish for. They're good quality, and the art is great.

Brief game overview
The basic mechanism is identical to the card game Dominion. Tanto Cuore is a card game in which each player starts with a small deck of 10 cards. On a player's turn he draws 5 of these cards and uses them to buy more cards from the card pool, gradually increasing his deck. The newly bought cards have different effects and are in turn used to buy even better cards. When the game ends, the player who has cards worth the most "victory points" is declared the winner.

How to be the most successful house lord
Most significant differences from Dominion are in italics.

The players are house lords, competing to employ new maids. The goal of this game is to have the most impressive staff of maids when the game ends.

Each player starts with a staff consisting of seven "heart maids", worth one heart each, and three "maid chiefs", worth 1 victory point each. (Read: All players start with a deck of 7 "1 coin" cards, and 3 "1 VP" cards.) They maids are scattered around the house and each player then calls five maids to him. (Read: The deck is shuffled and each player draws five cards) The maid chiefs (VP cards) are unfortunately useless during the game, but they are impressive – they yield victory points and the total sum of victory points when the game ends determines the winner.

Apart from the heart maids and maid chiefs, there are also the "general maids" (action cards). There are 16 types of general maids, but for each game, only 10 of them are used. There are 10 clones (copies) of each general maid. These general maids form, together with the heart maids and the maid chiefs, the maid pool (card pool) from which the players employ new maids (buy cards) to add to their staff (deck) as the game proceeds.

On his turn, a player is allowed to be served by one general maid standing by his side (read: you may play one action card from your hand), and then employ one maid (read: buy one card) of any type from the maid pool, using the total number of hearts standing beside him, or less (read: you may use up to all of the hearts you have on your hand). Of course, the first two turns no player will have any general maids around him, so the only thing that will happen is that they employ one new maid each. Each maid requires a number of hearts to employ. The newly employed maid comes in through the kitchen entry (read: the newly bought card goes to the player's discard pile), and all the heart maids used to employ her, together with any general maids who served this turn, and everyone still standing beside the player, go to meet her (read: all heart cards used, all action cards played, and everything left in the player's hand goes to his discard pile too).

The player's turn is then over and he calls five new maids to him (draws five new cards). If there aren't enough maids left in the main room (draw pile), the maids by the kitchen entry all rush into the main room and see to that their master has five maids by his side (read: the discard pile is shuffled and cards are drawn until the player has 5 in his hand).

In this way, the players gradually employ new maids, increasing the efficiency of their staff (deck). Players can choose to increase their employing (buying) power by employing heart maids worth 2 or 3 hearts, or they may employ general maids that, when serving the players (played as an action card) will allow the player to, for example, call more maids to them (draw more cards from their deck) or be served by more general maids (play more action cards) or employ more than one maid per day (turn). Or they may employ more maid chiefs which are pretty useless, but which will give your staff the shine that will make you win.

Some of the maids have a special ability to become personal maids. To make a maid personal, she must be by your side (in your hand) and it also takes one serving (one action), sometimes even two, to make her your personal maid. A maid who is personal is removed from the staff (deck) and placed in the player's private area (playing field). She will still count as any victory points, and usually, special combinations of personal maids will yield bonus points at the end of the game.

In the maid pool, there are also ten unique private maids, but only two at a time are employable. These private maids go, when employed, immediately to your private area, and will continuously serve you each turn, as long as they can. However, each player can only have one private maid at a time – if he employs a new private maid, the former one stops serving (but will still count for victory)

The players can also use his heart maids to make other players' maids sick, or give them bad habits. These events (curse cards) are placed onto another player's private area. A sickness can only be played onto a maid in another player's private area, making her not count as being part of that player's staff. The bad habits are just generally placed in the player's area, and lowers the impressiveness of that player's staff. (These Curse cards are bought freely and used as targeted attacks. Unlike Dominion, the curse cards never go into a player's deck.) Fortunately, a player can at the start of his tuen command a triple heart maid to cure a sick maid (read: discard a 3 heart card to remove a sickness card)..

When two types of maids are fully employed (two stacks of maid cards from the pool – maids meaning "maid chiefs", "general maids" and "private maids", not including Event or Heart cards) the game ends, and the player with the most impressive maid staff (most VPs) is declared the King of Maids.

So – what's the differences from Dominion?
If you don't know about Dominion, you can skip to "Verdict"
Yeah, yeah, I get it. You know all about Dominion and you want me to cut the crap about maids and serving and employing and standing by your side whatever. What's the deal?

Perhaps the most significant difference is the least eye-catching: the general cost of cards and their distribution. I'll add a full list of cards lower down, but some general stuff:

First, there's the treasure cards. Dominion had three, Tanto Cuore has three, worth 1, 2 and 3 respectively, just like Dominion, but they cost 1-4-7, and not 0-3-6.

Secondly, there's the VP cards. Tanto Cuore has just two: a 3-cost 1VP card and a 9 cost 6 VP card. Just these two differences changes the game quite radically.

Thirdly, there's the "make personal" instead of trashing. I guess the designers didn't like the idea of firing maids, so instead, the trashed cards go to each player's personal playing field. Some cards have a "trash for 1 action" ability to allow for this. Also, this makes for some weird VP bonus system, for example, there's this trio of maids that, if they are personal, generates quite a bonus of VPs in the end:

Fourthly, there's the private maids – a deck of ten unique cards that have a duration effect – like giving you a +1 Card for every single turn as long as she's active. Only two of these are available at a time, and you can only have 1 at a time active. Any private maids with VPs count their VPs at the end (unless they're sick), but you can't have two active private maids at the same time.

Fifthly, there's the targeted attacks, mentioned above. Sicknesses (cost 4) are played onto another player's private or personal maid, effectively excluding her from the game until the sickness is removed. Bad habits are just pure curse cards, generally placed onto a player's private area, worth –1VP. The sicknesses can be removed by discarding a gold card during your turn, though.

This means there are no real "attack" action cards, nor "reaction" cards. The equivalent of "Moat" (Claire) blocks only the events (curse cards) aimed at you, not other attack-type actions like those who force you to discard cards.

There are probably more main differences one could mention, but a general feel is that the +Buy is quite more powerful. I found I more often wanted the ability to buy two cheap maids than one expensive ones, but that might have been an illusion. The costs are more spread (action cards cost from 2 to 7 heart), and some action cards yield straight VPs.

But I guess y'all want to take a look at the cards. So here goes.

Card list
Heart = Coins
Servings = Actions
Employ = Buy
Heart maid = Treasure card
Maid chief = victory card
General maid = action card
Event = curse

(Name spellings are just educated guesses.)

Hearts (treasure cards)
Heart 1
Heart
cost 1

Heart 2
Heart
cost 4

Heart 3
Heart
cost 7

Maid chiefs (victory cards)
Colette Framboise "personal maid"
Maid chief
cost 3
1 VP
Make personal - 2 servings
At the end of the game: The player who has employed the most Colettes gets a bonus of 5 VP total.

Marianne Soleil "maid chief"
Maid chief
cost 9
6 VP

Event cards (curse cards)
Bad habit
Event
Cost 2
–1VP
At the end of the game: If you have 4 or more Bad habits in your house, they are worth –2VP each.

Sickness
Event
Cost 4
0 VP
The maid that this card is placed on, loses all their effects and VPs.
At the start of your turn: You may discard one Heart 3 from your hand. If you do, put this card back in the pool.

General maids (action cards)
Azure Crescent "personal maid"
General maid
Cost 2
1 VP
+1 employ
Make personal - 1 serving
Personal bonus: For each set of Asure, Viola and Rouge you have as personal, you get bonus VP for each set. 2 types = 3 VP, all 3 types = 7 VP

Rouge Crescent "personal maid"
General maid
Cost 2
1 VP
+1 heart
Personal bonus: For each set of Asure, Viola and Rouge you have as personal, you get bonus VP for each set. 2 types = 3 VP, all 3 types = 7 VP

Viola Crescent "personal maid"
General maid
Cost 2
1 VP
+1 card

Claire Saint-Juste "White maid"
General maid
Cost 3
+1 serving
You may remove one event card from your house to the pool.
As a reaction, when an event card is place in your house: You may reveal this card. If you do, return the event card to the pool.

Safran Virginie "personal maid"
General maid
Cost 3
+2 hearts
Personal bonus: For each set of Safrans you have as personal maids, you get bonus VP. 2 cards = 4 VP, 3 cards = 8 VP, 4 cards = 12 VP

Kagari Ichinomiya "sewing type maid"
General maid
Cost 3
+2 servings

Eliza Rosewater "policing type maid"
General maid
Cost 3
+2 hearts
You may look at the top card of any player's deck, and choose whether to discard it or put it back.

Esquine Forêt "scrapping type maid"
General maid
Cost 4
+2 cards
You may discard any number of cards. If you do +1 Serving per card discarded.

Geneviève Daubigny "food type maid"
General maid
Cost 4
+1 card
+1 heart
+1 serving

Moine de Lefèvre "employing type maid"
General maid
cost 4
+2 cards
+2 employ

Tenalys Trent "napping type maid"
General maid
cost 5
+3 hearts
+1 employ
Each other player draws 1 card

Natsumi Fujikawa "cleaning type maid"
General maid
cost 5
+1 card
+2 servings
You may discard 1 card. If you do, each other player who has more than 3 cards on hand, must discard 1 card.

Sainsbury Lockwood "laundry type maid"
General maid
cost 5
You may exchange one "Heart 1" from your hand to either a "Heart 2" from the pool or a maid card of a cost of 4 or less.

Nena Wilder "teasing maid"
General maid
cost 5
+1 heart
The players to both your sides must, if they have at least 1 maid in their private area, take one "bad habit" from the pool and add it to their respective areas.

Ophelia Grail "all-purpose maid"
General maid
cost 6
X VP
+1 card
+1 heart
+1 serving
+2 employ
At the end of the game: If you have more than 1 Ophelia in your staff, they are each worth 2 VP if they are of an odd number total. If they are of an even number total, they are worth –2VP each.

Anise Greenaway "economy maid"
General maid
Cost 7
3 VP
+3 cards
+1 employ

Private maids
Nord Twilight "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 4
–4 VP
At the start of your turn: You may discard your hand down to one card. If you do, take two Sicknesses from the pool and place on one maid of your choice.

Tanya Petrushka "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 4
During your serving phase: If you gained any +card from your serving(s), you gain one additional +1 card. This effect can only be applied once per turn.

Eugenie Fontaine "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 5
At the start of your turn: You may look at 1 random card from another player's hand. After, you may allow that player to randomly look at one one card from your hand. If you do, exchange the two cards.

Milly Violet "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 5
2 VP
During your serving phase: If you gained any +card from your serving(s), you gain one additional +1 serving. This effect can only be applied once per turn.

Lucienne de Marlboro "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 5
1 VP
+1 serving
At the start of your turn: You gain +1 serving

Amber Twilight "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 5
–3 VP
At any end of turn except yours: The active player must discard the the top card of his deck. If that card wasn't a maid card, the number of cards he draws for his new hand is decreased by 1.

Rosa Topaz "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 5
1 VP
+1 heart
At the start of your turn: You gain +1 heart

Fey Longfang "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 6
1 VP
At the start of your turn: You gain either +1 heart or +1 employ, your choice.

Lalande Dreyfus "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 6
2 VP
+1 card
At the start of your turn: You may gain +1 card

Sora Nakachi "private maid"
Private maid
Cost 7
2 VP
At the start of your turn: You may choose one event card and place it onto a maid in another house.

Verdict
As I said, I can't really judge after just some few plays exactly how balanced this is. The really powerful private maids, combined with the targeted attacks make some private maids useless. The huge VP gain for having several personal Safrans is a sitting duck for sicknesses, and it takes a huge amount of time to get them there; you need massive amounts of Claires to protect you, or Heart 3s to remove the sicknesses. By the time you've got the famous Crescent trio personal, one of them is bound to get sick in the next round. Considering the game is quite quick, I wonder if it's possible to have the time to get Claires or Triple Hearts enough to cure them. Seems like a hopeless venture.

That said, playing the game dozens of time might very well even out any imbalances that I percieve initially. One thing I noticed at the very start was the"silver strategy" so famous in Dominion was not quite as easy to get going in Tanto Cuore (I might be wrong, though). Using Kagari (+2 servings) to personallize the Colettes (1VP, personallize for 2 servings) was a quite efficient way to slim your deck to begin with. I was a bit surprised at the quite large VP gain for Anice (cost 7 general maid with a +3 card and a +1 employ), it seemed Marianne (6 VP maid chief, cost 9) was weak in comparison.

As I already had played Dominion quite a lot when sitting first with Tanto Cuore, I can't really judge how a Dominion non-knower will take this game. But it is the same basic principle, which makes it quite as playable. If it has the same staying power due to intricate card balance, isn't something I can say at this stage. For a new player, this game has all the attraction that Dominion has, building your deck, slimming your deck and so on, combined with top-quality fandom art (the cute maids might be a repellant for some, though). For seasoned Dominion players, it can both be strange and refreshing with a whole new card layout that defeats a lot of the typical tactics in Dominion.

The somewhat more complicated scoring system might slow the game down a bit at first. The personallizing and the private maids give you more to think about each turn. The directed curses do feel quite hostile. The lesser variation of action cards can perhaps make the game a bit less variable than Dominion. But truly, I think the biggest thing that could be percieved as a flaw with Tanto Cuore, is the theme, that I can fully understand will to some people feel too stupid, silly and cartoonish for their tastes. For persons like me though, who recieves anime art with open arms, and who enjoys the humourous setting of being a whacky house lord employing maids, this is nothing less than fabulous.

Edit: Some card info.
Edit 2: Spellings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Must.... have... this game... zombie

I never heard of this game before, thanks for the review ! As you might judge from my avatar, i'm quite psyched now.

Edit: As a fellow European, might i ask you where you ordered the game and how much you paid for it ? If you don't want to post it here, please write me a geekmail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aphicha Phawapaphawin
Thailand
Rat Burana
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2500 Yen - 3500 Yen without shipping. laugh

Expansion is released.
Another 280 cards available.
Card size is standard card game size (2.5"x3.5")

Try this
http://www.arclight.co.jp/tc/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game cost me 4000 yen (about $40, but I don't know the current exchange rate). I bought the game in Japan, but considering it's an official product, I don't think it's impossible to get sent to you. I don't think Arclight sends abroad, though.
The expansion contains the same amount of cards, and is a standalone expansion, just like Dominion: Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aphicha Phawapaphawin
Thailand
Rat Burana
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3771Yen and 3633Yen from Amazon.

Try these
this and this

From Amazon JP
Please follow up by yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niti Suibvises
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mb
Ploedminka wrote:
Must.... have... this game... zombie

I never heard of this game before, thanks for the review ! As you might judge from my avatar, i'm quite psyched now.

Edit: As a fellow European, might i ask you where you ordered the game and how much you paid for it ? If you don't want to post it here, please write me a geekmail

Some website from Japan has an international shipping. You can order this game from 2 website below.

AmiAmi
http://www.amiami.com/shop?set=english

Hobby Search
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. The last link link to Amiami is especially interesting, since they offer 50 % off on shipping. I'm considering this.... right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol
Must Have game.

You list some of the card in your review, are these all card texts ? I'm considering ordering it, but I don't speak japanese Or Is there an english rulebook included ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, I listed ALL of the cards, and yes, that is all of the text on them. There is also a card translation file on the game page, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG I just noticed this! Thanks for the review This'll be a hit in my gaming group for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's great. I have another question, you wrote that two of those private maids are available, does that mean, that if somebody buys one, a new one is drawn immediately ? Furthermore, how is it possible to target cards in your opponents play area. In dominion you discards your play area immediately ?

And, did anybody already order that game from those websites. They wrote that they only ship a part of their inventory. Is this game "shippable" and how much did the shipping cost ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. L.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
Ah, that's great. I have another question, you wrote that two of those private maids are available, does that mean, that if somebody buys one, a new one is drawn immediately ? Furthermore, how is it possible to target cards in your opponents play area. In dominion you discards your play area immediately ?

And, did anybody already order that game from those websites. They wrote that they only ship a part of their inventory. Is this game "shippable" and how much did the shipping cost ?

If a player buys one of the Private Maids a new one is drawn.

In Tanto Cuore you can set some of the Maids (which have the special "make personal" ability) aside into your playarea (Your household) they stay there till the end of the game and generate extra VP's (in case you managed to complete a set of them)

I buyed this game in february this year and played it a lot. This week I played the expansion quite some times and it adds a lot to the game, this is that you can play with up to 6 people which is in my opinion the best number of players for this game. Especially with the new "Building" Cards (Garden, Lily Garden and Guest House) 5 to 6 player is the optimum because unless you have the right tactic it becomes hard for one player to collect 4 Gardens, which makes him imune to Sickness and Bad Habit cards.

You read a lot about abusing the Bad habit card in japanese boards and blogs. This is so to say, 2 or 3 players gang up on one player and bury him under Bad Habit cards, which means his VPs are going down very fast. Of course this is possible but in a round with expirienced players this is not going to happen that often because there is no merit in doing so for more than one player (the one with the second most VPs at this point). The other players better invest in VPs instead of pulling the player in the first position down.

All in all the game is quite balanced as long as you put a balanced setup on the table.
For example: (早めのサフラン)Safuran and Genevieve Doubinie and the rest high cost cards is NOT such a setting. (Safuran and Genevieve Doubinie will be gone in seconds and the game ends)

The gap between the Personal Maids is too big. We already banned the Twilight sisters, because if they are coming out as the first two Personal Maids in the setup the Personal Maid deck stays mostly untouched for the rest of the game. They're way too weak.

Also

Esquine Forêt "scrapping type maid"
General maid
Cost 4
+2 cards
You may discard any number of cards. If you do +1 Serving per card discarded.

This card has an errata in the second printing. It is "You can discard up to 2 cards. If you do so +1 Serving per card."

before the errata Esquine (or how my gaming group calls her: ガチペド :D)was WAAAYY to strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niti Suibvises
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mb
I don't sure I can understand your question correctly(My English skill is very poor ).but I try to answer your question.

Quote:
you wrote that two of those private maids are available, does that mean, that if somebody buys one, a new one is drawn immediately ?

Yes

Quote:
how is it possible to target cards in your opponents play area. In dominion you discards your play area immediately ?

You can target player only when he/she has "at least one maid" on a his/her personal playing field.To target maid card you just buy Sickness Card and put to the maid you want,to target field buy Bad habit Card and put to his/her field.

Quote:

I used to order this game from both of 2 websites (Tanto from HS ,and Expansion from Amiami) they can ship outside Japan and shipping cost depend on Japan EMS shipping Rates.
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/english/fee/intel/ems.html

In my case ,HS charge me at 1.5kg EMS rate(2400 yen in Asia ,3700 yen for Europe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for your answers.

Quote:

This week I played the expansion quite some times and it adds a lot to the game, this is that you can play with up to 6 people which is in my opinion the best number of players for this game. Especially with the new "Building" Cards (Garden, Lily Garden and Guest House) 5 to 6 player is the optimum because unless you have the right tactic it becomes hard for one player to collect 4 Gardens, which makes him imune to Sickness and Bad Habit cards.

You mention the expansion. Is there also a translation for the expansion cards ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. L.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
Many thanks for your answers.

Quote:

This week I played the expansion quite some times and it adds a lot to the game, this is that you can play with up to 6 people which is in my opinion the best number of players for this game. Especially with the new "Building" Cards (Garden, Lily Garden and Guest House) 5 to 6 player is the optimum because unless you have the right tactic it becomes hard for one player to collect 4 Gardens, which makes him imune to Sickness and Bad Habit cards.

You mention the expansion. Is there also a translation for the expansion cards ?

I don't think so. The expansion was released last saturday.Maybe a little bit early for a translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
big_eye wrote:
This card has an errata in the second printing. It is "You can discard up to 2 cards. If you do so +1 Serving per card."

before the errata Esquine (or how my gaming group calls her: ガチペド )was WAAAYY to strong.

Yes, it says so on the card; but not in the manual, which I copied.

However, curious, why is this so powerful? I can see it as powerful if you combine it with other cards, but as you don't trash, but just discard the cards, you'll have to discard cards in order to get more actions. To make her really effective, you first have to get a combo of you sitting with a large hand of cards… and at that time you're probably ready to buy cards and don't really need to get even more actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. L.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
big_eye wrote:

before the errata Esquine (or how my gaming group calls her: ガチペド :D)was WAAAYY to strong.

Yes, it says so on the card; but not in the manual, which I copied.

However, curious, why is this so powerful? I can see it as powerful if you combine it with other cards, but as you don't trash, but just discard the cards, you'll have to discard cards in order to get more actions. To make her really effective, you first have to get a combo of you sitting with a large hand of cards… and at that time you're probably ready to buy cards and don't really need to get even more actions.

You first draw the two cards and then decide what to discard. 4 or 5 Esquines in one deck means almost infinte servings even with the errata. 1 or 2 Anices and/or Moinne de Lefêbre you draw your whole deck in one turn. The thing is that you can even redraw the cards you discarded earlier and then put them into play with the servings you gained by discarding them. Get out 4 Safurans or the Cresendo sisters set once or even twice in one turn and end the game.

With the 2 Servings max limit she is still a damn strong little Maid. (The picture fits the card)

Lately in our gaming group once one player touches the Esquine deck the other players follow instantly so she is fairly distributed.

(With the expansion (standalone) you have the same situation with the Garden card too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Egbers-Schoger
Germany
Braunschweig
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just discovered this game via the corresponding thread in the Dominion forum und got that well known immediate consume impulse. Fortunately for my wallet (but not for me) Tanto Cuore is - at least at the moment - out of stock at AmiAmi and Hobby Search. On top of that amazon.co.jp refuses to send it to Germany. Bleargh... angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it goes back to stock again, I don't have a problem with that , currently my wallet is pretty empty
(according to the hobby shop it is sold out, but I think they will reprint it if it was successful in Japan to already print an expansion)
But you are right, it sucks that you can't order it via Amazon.

But, could it be that the english amiami site is broken, the link only leads me to the japanese site, at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always hope they'll bring it to Essen Spiel 2010…

mumble mumble lucky germans mumble mumble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, another Dominion-like game to try out! I hope it has an awesome theme that works even better than Dominion's bland semi-medieval setting.

"The players are house lords, competing to employ new maids. The goal of this game is to have the most impressive staff of maids when the game ends."

Wow. Creepy. Thanks, Japan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. It seems that amiami are working on their site. You have to use the .jp url even for the english version http://www.amiami.jp/shop?set=english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Thought this was mentioned already, but can't find it.

Zimeon wrote:
There is some air in the Tanto Cuore box, probably to make room for the expansion, but not much.

The air is to accommodate the increased thickness of the cards should you sleeve them all. After you sleeve all the cards, remove the spacer, and the cards fit perfectly into the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Thought this was mentioned already, but can't find it.

Zimeon wrote:
There is some air in the Tanto Cuore box, probably to make room for the expansion, but not much.

The air is to accommodate the increased thickness of the cards should you sleeve them all. After you sleeve all the cards, remove the spacer, and the cards fit perfectly into the box.

Nice. I'm a non-sleever, so I didn't think of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is there a chance the publisher is in essen ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.