11 Posts

Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Roland Banks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ghost Rider
Poland
flag msg tools
Am I missing something or this guy (Roland Banks, the Fed) is immune to Nyarlathotep's attack because of Intuitive ability (gains 1 Clue token if he has fewer than 2 Clue tokens)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, and McGlenn is immune to Rhan-Tegoth by the same token. I'm not sure where the proto-faq stands on the issue, but we've house-ruled in the mean time that Roland's power doesn't work against Nyarly and McGlenn's doesn't function against Rhan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Rider
Poland
flag msg tools
From FFG forum: "there are plenty of other investigators that lose their special abilities once Final Combat starts." Can someone list them, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magatone wrote:
Yeah, and McGlenn is immune to Rhan-Tegoth by the same token. I'm not sure where the proto-faq stands on the issue, but we've house-ruled in the mean time that Roland's power doesn't work against Nyarly and McGlenn's doesn't function against Rhan.

McGlen vs. Rhan was officially clarified by Kevin Wilson before Innsmouth came out.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/419555/michael-mcglen-vs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchU wrote:
From FFG forum: "there are plenty of other investigators that lose their special abilities once Final Combat starts." Can someone list them, please?

Certain investigator abilities don't work because they simply don't. Don't take this to mean that some investigator abilities inherently quit.

Aside from abilities that don't make sense in final combat, here are the investigators whose abilities either do not work anymore, or need to be clarified:

*Jenny's ability doesn't work anymore because investigators can't gain money in the Final Combat.
*The proto-FAQ says that Roland's abilities do not work in Final Combat. However, it's better just to play that investigators may NEVER receive clues during final combat (similarly to money) so that Nyatlathotep can never be put in this position again.
*As Dam said, stamina loss from Rhan-Tegoth's attack cannot be reduced by any means, including Michael McGlen.
*Lily Chen: officially she can't gain more than one point total of sanity OR stamina at any point during the game, but this is particularly important with regards to a few base-game AOs.
*Minh Thi Phan: I don't know if all the investigators are in the same place so that she can issue her bonus, but they can trade items so I'd say yes. This also has foul implications for the "Paranoia" madness card.
*William Yorrick: same as spending your last clue against Nyarlathotep, he will not be devoured if he spends his last monster trophy against Shub-Niggurath. However, he will be devoured the next time Shub attacks, regardless of if he passes the defense check. So you better make that last trophy count!
*Wilson Richards: officially, his focus is 4, and his special ability is that he can move his sliders without spending focus. This is only really relevant against Yibb-Tstll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, we had the same issue before. I think our solution is consistent with what kungfro proposed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
*As Dam said, stamina loss from Rhan-Tegoth's attack cannot be reduced by any means, including Michael McGlen.

Me? When did I post in this thread previously ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
kungfro wrote:

The first reply to an Arkham Horror question is *always* made by you. Did n't you know that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
kungfro wrote:

UGH really? I disregarded your post on the "stamina damage" thread but cited a non-existent post in this one? blush

Okay. Thanks ROB for posting the errata. Thanks DAM for posting in that other thread.

I am so happy that I finally have coffee again. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Rider
Poland
flag msg tools
kungfro wrote:

*Lily Chen: officially she can't gain more than one point total of sanity OR stamina at any point during the game, but this is particularly important with regards to a few base-game AOs.

She cannot change her maximum sanity/stamina twice then? (she has 2 Focus points).

Does Mandy Thompson's ability still work with Ancient Ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchU wrote:
(Lily Chen) cannot change her maximum sanity/stamina twice then? (she has 2 Focus points).

Yes, she may change her maximums as much as her focus allows. However, doing so will only heal her one point of sanity/stamina total.

For example: if she raises her sanity maximum by 2, she only gains 1 sanity. Toggling her sanity/stamina slider back and forth in the same move won't get her any points, because she heals based off of her slider's final position.

Quote:
Does Mandy Thompson's ability still work with Ancient Ones?

As long as someone's making a skill check (as opposed to Yibb-Tstll's focus-roll or something similar), Mandy may allow failed dice to be re-rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.