Alistair Browning
msg tools
I'm quite pleased with Valor & Victory's whole system, including the rules, counters, and maps. And you can't beat the price.

Do I really need, or am I missing something important in the genre, if I overlook the Conflict of Heroes and/or Lock 'n Load systems tha also look at World War II games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank and Steen wrote:
I'm quite pleased with Valor & Victory's whole system, including the rules, counters, and maps. And you can't beat the price.

Do I really need, or am I missing something important in the genre, if I overlook the Conflict of Heroes and/or Lock 'n Load systems tha also look at World War II games?


No.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
malteh wrote:
Frank and Steen wrote:
I'm quite pleased with Valor & Victory's whole system, including the rules, counters, and maps. And you can't beat the price.

Do I really need, or am I missing something important in the genre, if I overlook the Conflict of Heroes and/or Lock 'n Load systems tha also look at World War II games?


No.


Correct. No. V&V has the best streamlined mechanics of the lot. The others add (well thought through) additional layers of chrome that are not necessary to play tactical WW2 combat and were abstracted (or recognized as unnecessary) by Barry to get to the heart of the game. It's a superb tactical WW2 game. It's the only hex and chit one I play anymore. Join me on Vassal sometime.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Samardza

princess anne
Maryland
msg tools
I've not tried it yat, but given that the hex/counter scales a close, there should be no reason you cannot use LnL/SL/ or ASL scenarios & maps
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
samardza wrote:
I've not tried it yat, but given that the hex/counter scales a close, there should be no reason you cannot use LnL/SL/ or ASL scenarios & maps


Yep, and -- in fact -- that was one of the driving motivations behind V&V. I got tired of trying to remember the rules for other systems, so I wanted rules and counters I could simply plug into scenarios from other games.

I always wanted to play on that cool Arnhem: Defiant Stand map from Critical Hit, and now I can!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also why I keep Combat Commander around despite playing V&V every time for my tactical WW2 hex-chit fix. I use the maps.

Barry's system may have abstracted a number of standard tactical wargaming systems in V&V ... but it makes his game all that much better for it. Best WW2 tactical game out there. (I wouldn't spend hours creating maps etc for the V&V community to give back, if I didn't think so.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.