Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by another thread, I thought it might be fun to take a given setup (same board, same draw deck, etc.; the only random part is the dice) and see how different people handle it. While it will be fun to compare scores, I think it will be even more entertaining to just compare approaches to the game, and to see how different decisions and die rolls lead to different outcomes (or not).

To this end, I created a saved "starting position." The game is in Nightmare mode, with Guardhouse included, and a relatively unfavorable position (no Sorcerer, weak center tile, some strong tiles in corners) and is for 4 monks (whether played solo or not, no power tokens). Ground rules, info, and so forth:

1. Get the latest GS VASSAL mod (1.18): http://www.mediafire.com/?y4gmj2yzmmj or http://vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=vassal_mo...
2. Get this vsav file with the starting setup: http://www.mediafire.com/?thy2utemdit
3. Open the vsav file and begin playing, being sure to log your moves (File > Begin logfile if you're not prompted).
4. Post your completed log somehow (I use mediafire, but I'm sure there are other places). Posting as an SR with pics here would be great, but it's a chunk of work (mostly getting the screen shots and lining it up; the log does a lot of the textual gruntwork).

You can of course stop the game and pick it back up using the logs, which is nice (get a few turns in here or there). It's easy to "cheat," even accidentally, so don't do that. Also, don't read anyone else's log before or during the play of your own, or you'll get hidden info (remember, same decks).

I'm open to ideas about better ways to compare or present the logs, etc. so please feel free to post those. I'm thinking we give it about a week before openly discussing strategies, spoilers, etc. Sound good? Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually thinking about doing something similar, and turning it into a competition. But I'd avoid the cheating by simply waiting till everyone had made moves that required a new ghost before sending everyone the same info. The dice would of course play a part in the result, but overall I still think it would be interesting to see different strategies play out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, but I haven't yet fallen into VASSALage. I spend too much time on the computer already, and see Ghost Stories as an aid to getting me away from my PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is an awesome idea and a fantastic challenge. I gave it a shot this evening because for some crazy reason ABC wasn't showing a new episode of "Lost" and that gave me some free time. I typed up the results in a session report, which I submitted and will probably be approved soon.

It contains many, many spoilers, so do not read it if you are still anxious to do this cool VASSAL challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
I typed up the results in a session report, which I submitted and will probably be approved soon.

Wow, that was fast. I doubt I'll be able to get to mine before this weekend, just too busy at work and home.

Did you do screenshots? I'd love to figure out a better way to just go straight from VASSAL to SR. Without pics, it's hard to follow. Just wondering about your method (without reading the SR), as if it's good, I'll shamelessly appropriate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only had time because I had planned to watch Lost, but it was a re-run. I took a single screen shot at the end, and summarized every move at every turn, repeating every die result. It isn't too bad to follow, but to really appreciate everything that happened you'd have to play through it step by step with your own set. Thinking back, I should have added more of my thought processes (why I ordered ghosts a certain way with the guardhouse uses, for example), but I think it is relatively clear to follow everything that happened.

I didn't know how soon it would be approved, so hopefully no one looks at it early. There are plenty of spoiler notices, though. Awesome, awesome challenge, waddball. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.