Subject: Standard card deck Tichu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sanderson
Bermuda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

n.b. This first para is added to take into account the responses to my post. The original post follows. The feeling is that Tichu would work with a standard deck. The deuces can be used as the Power cards, and you have the option of calling Grand Tichu after your 7th card instead of your eighth - dealing 7-6 instead of 8-6.

This game appeals to me, but I reckon I'd get to play it a lot more if it could be played with a standard deck of cards. You know the scenario - you're away from home, and somebody pulls out a deck of cards and asks somebody to suggest a game.

How much would the game be adversely affected if you took out the Aces, then used:

* Ace of Spades for the Dog (dogs dig),
* Ace of Diamonds for the Dragon (dragons horde treasure),
* Ace of Hearts for the Phoenix (the Phoenix is born in the heart of the fire),
* Ace of Clubs for the Mah Jong (why not join a Mah Jong club!)

The only other change you'd have to make is dealing 7-6 at the start instead of 8-6.

If anybody tries this, or something similar, please post your experiences below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you removed the aces, it would be a dramatic change, as K's would suddenly become much easier to keep to yourself, being the new highest ranked card! As it is now, there's always the threat of an A taking out your kings [until all the As are gone] if you play them as singletons, pairs, or even triplets.

If this is a variant you want to pursue, use the deuces instead. That's actually a little more thematic / historically correct, as the game is based on a Chinese family of games in which the 2s are the highest and most important cards in the deck. And, taking out the 2s would change hardly anything else significant about the play.

REALLY THOUGH, if you're interested in playing Tichu with a regular deck, why not just try the game it was stolen / developed from, Zheng Fen, which is identical in nearly all respects and a great generalized intro to the more specific game of Tichu. In fact, I learned Zheng Fen first and play Tichu as a combination of Zheng Fen and Tichu rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the first part of Nate's answer, you would be better off using the 2's as the wild cards than the aces. That way you can keep the K's, 10's, and 5's as the scoring cards and not change the game too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanderson
Bermuda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that - it makes more sense that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that scenario at all as I keep a Tichu deck in my car, in my house, in my game bag, and in my backpack. Gotta do something with the worn out decks.

Ok perhaps I am addicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree too: use the deuces as special cards. To remember which is which, I use this memory trick: blacks have beaks, reds have teeth. This translates in:

2 of clubs – Mah Jong
2 of diamonds – Dog
2 of spades – Phoenix
2 of hearts - Dragon

I make another little change to the rules when I use a standard deck: you can call a Grand Tichu before you are dealt your 8th card (instead of your 9th) – that's because you'll have in your hand 13 cards instead of 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only gotten a few games in so far, so I may be way off here...

It seems like it would be a fun game even without the four special cards.

Now sure the strategies would be different and aces would be more valuable, but it still seems better than the hundreds of games of spades I've played over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't an easier way to create a deck would be to buy two identical decks of cards and pull the Aces from deck two (more open space to write on them) OR if you don't want to ruin the actual cards of deck two, take the two jokers from deck one and deck two and then "sharpie" them with the appropriate special cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Tettamanti wrote:
Wouldn't an easier way to create a deck would be to buy two identical decks of cards and pull the Aces from deck two (more open space to write on them)

If you read the OP, he's not talking about creating a deck, he's talking about how/what to play if you happen to be somewhere with only a standard deck of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh K
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's no need to change anything. Most decks come with 4 jokers, and most card games don't use jokers. You can make a Tichu deck with a standard deck and a Sharpie, and you won't even notice for most of the other games you play with that deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
This is one reason setting your location info is so useful. Most American decks do not come with 4 jokers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Chunko wrote:
This is one reason setting your location info is so useful. Most American decks do not come with 4 jokers.

I've occasionally seen 3, but most often 2 and usually an extra card or two with rules or ads, but seldom do the extras have the common back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.