Popular Tags: TS [+] [View All]
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone give me a rundown on differences between editions and/or rule additions between editions?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Can someone give me a rundown on differences between editions and/or rule additions between editions?

Thanks in advance

The key differences between the deluxe edition and the 2nd printing:

New Mounted Board
Seven Optional Cards
Revised Aldrich Ames Card (much less powerful than the original)
+2IP to the US in Canada for the opening setup
Chinese Civil War variant now printed on the board for ease of use (though still optional)
Card backs have slightly different graphics, but card stock is the same.
Rules now in color (but not glossy).
Box now has an insert.
Counters of substantially better quality (but they were fine in the second printing, just not "deluxe").

That's about it.

The first edition of Twilight Struggle (2005) has some misprints but most importantly the counters are not double-sided to mark control of countries, which makes reading the board a nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks and I didn't mean to start another thread as I now see there are several on the subject.

So avoid the 1st edition like the plague - the 2nd edition is fine to purchase, but as a new player - one just as well get the full deluxe - correct?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there's no reason not to go with the Deluxe edition. If you want to play Ames according to the original text, nothing is stopping you. If you want to play with the original US setup (no IP in Canada) nothing is stopping you there, either.

Personally I only play the IP in Canada if also playing the the corresponding optional card, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't say anything about what was interesting or acceptable, just powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:
The only part I'm correcting you on is that the new Ames can be every bit as powerful as the old.

Except that the old Ames power depended largely on what you've termed "unacceptable," so I don't think it is. The autolosses are what gave the card teeth. Simply pitching a scoring card doesn't compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At any rate, we know all of this. Given that our answers to the OP's question are functionally identical, we could just continue the conversation in person at a later date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to comment as the OP, I appreciate the spirited debate which gave some insight to both versions.

Thanks guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweet
United States
University Place
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks from me too. I was wondering what the difference was. I will probably get this game within the next month but couldn't understand the major differences between the two...now I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.