Subject: Heroes net effect...do I understand this right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike M
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
So I don't have my copy yet, just reading the rules. Is it true that each hero can act at most 6 times during the game? Move/quest, heal, or train (pick 1) 6 times?

I guess I'm not sure how they can have a huge effect on the game with that little action. You get your first hero, if you are lucky on year 1 he can get to one of his quests and if you are lucky he wins it. You then probably need 2 years for the next (either heal/move or train/move, or move/move) then maybe get a 3rd quest done.

Is that how it really plays out? Also getting a second hero in anything but one of the first couple years seems like it would be not useful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You can easily move at least twice a year, once with the event and once with your role selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there's synergy from getting additional heroes as you can prioritize getting quests and there's an increased chance of them being convenient to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note, that you won't really get from the rulebook itself, is that Heroes can have other effects outside of questing. Some Heroes have abilities that can affect the units on the battlefield, and several of the Rewards can as well. Thus, even with limited Questing, you can position your heroes in key locations in Summer or via the Strategize action.

Also, there are several Tactics cards which are based upon where your Heroes are located on the map.

Finally, a good way to really get the most out of heroes is to recruit a second and/or third hero; with multiple heroes, you can quest more, and if you plan them right, you can form a relay chain to quickly bring Shards home if needed near the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
There are exploration tokens that give the players influence or tactics cards when their hero ends their turn on them. With multiple heroes and the right location you can get up to 6 influence or 3 tactics cards every hero phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I was also a bit lucky in all this mind you, but I recently played a game where I got all 4 dragonrunes that I needed solely from questing; discarding sets of three (I was running three heroes) while I held whatever that title is, and finding a dragonrune through questing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone for the input; that all does make sense.

I take it that the train action at least is pretty rare though? I'm not sure how that can be a useful use of your 6 actions (or less than 6 if its a late game hero).

Or maybe you just train when you have a hero parked somewhere they "need to be" for tactics cards or other reasons and there's no quest around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boxjuggler wrote:
There are exploration tokens that give the players influence or tactics cards when their hero ends their turn on them.

The exploration tokens are a nonstandard/optional rule, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Turn the whole question around, the heroes get to act 6 times in the game, without spending a single action card. You play only 24 action cards in the entire game. And aside from two to recruit to your maximum of 3 heroes, the heroes don't cost you any of them.
Compare that to the likly cost in building & using an army. If thats less than 12 of your 24 orders, I'd be surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When i teach new players the game they often don't understand the hero's right away. By the end of the game though they are pretty clear just how important a factor they play in your game. Once you get a few games in you will be surprised just how integrated into the game they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isnt a serious reason to avoid playing with the exploration tokens, they are easy to setup , easy to resolve and add flavor to the quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mythos999 wrote:
There isnt a serious reason to avoid playing with the exploration tokens

Obviously the designer thought otherwise, or he wouldn't have made them an optional rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Williamson
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you guys always using the exploration tokens ?

I have played 3 games now and in two of the games the Dragon Throne rune that pops up is very important to the outcome , perhaps too important ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mitchell
South Africa
Springs
guateng
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
No. You can easily move at least twice a year, once with the event and once with your role selection.

Sorry, not being an expert in runewars, what is a role selection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themitchells wrote:
Sorry, not being an expert in runewars, what is a role selection?

Sorry. In Runewars they are called "Order Cards". You select an Order Card each season, and if you select the Strategize card at some point during the year, it gives you and extra opportunity to move your heroes. Sometimes this is pretty useful, sometimes not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.