Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two sets of the base game, plus all the LCG story packs.

However there are lots of cards there that I never have in my "serious" play deck because they're too fiddly to use, or don't fit in with other cards, or whatever.

This disappoints me. I'd love to experience the randomness and challenge of playing with many more cards and sometimes having to make do with cards that I wouldn't normally include in my serious play deck.

So I'm planning to have a game this weekend where in addition to the normal base deck of 50 cards for one cult (I play with a single cult) each player also has a side deck (cabinet?) composed of all the other cards in that cult, and a third side deck of all the neutral cards. The usual rules apply (no more than three cards of any type).

When you draw a card from your main normal deck, you also get to draw one card from each of the cabinet/side decks, and get to chose which one you use. The (2) cards not used are taken out of the game entirely in order to keep the game mechanics correct for your main deck.

Will this work, or is it a heck of a lot of effort for little reward... well.. I'll let you know after this week-end!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest trying the "Highlander" format, where you can only have one copy of any card in your deck. This leads to a much larger selection of cards and would generally achieve what I think you're trying to do here.

I personally love the format because it can be quite challenging and the resourcing decisions are so very painful because you have no hope of drawing another copy of whatever it is you're putting under that domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Thrashbarg

London
msg tools
mbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
I have two sets of the base game, plus all the LCG story packs.

However there are lots of cards there that I never have in my "serious" play deck because they're too fiddly to use, or don't fit in with other cards, or whatever.

This disappoints me. I'd love to experience the randomness and challenge of playing with many more cards and sometimes having to make do with cards that I wouldn't normally include in my serious play deck.

So I'm planning to have a game this weekend where in addition to the normal base deck of 50 cards for one cult (I play with a single cult) each player also has a side deck (cabinet?) composed of all the other cards in that cult, and a third side deck of all the neutral cards. The usual rules apply (no more than three cards of any type).

When you draw a card from your main normal deck, you also get to draw one card from each of the cabinet/side decks, and get to chose which one you use. The (2) cards not used are taken out of the game entirely in order to keep the game mechanics correct for your main deck.

Will this work, or is it a heck of a lot of effort for little reward... well.. I'll let you know after this week-end!!

I know how you feel, though I think I'd tend to solve it either by using a Highlander rule as suggested above, or by simply building a less competitive deck around less commonly used cards. Good luck with your experiment.

Are you in London? Where do you play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I and my oldest son have our standard decks (not too competitive, but not causal either). My second (only 6) wants to play too and made a deck out of the leftovers for Y-S and Syndicate (some very good cards and some very poor ones). When teaching him to play, I let him win by not committing so many characters, resourcing Infernal Obsession, etc. The next time we played I use my best deck and soon had out an army. He was quite sad. So now I've decided to put together a multi (3-4) faction deck with all the leftovers to use against him. That should make for some tough decisions and hard fought wins.

So you can try the same thing--make leftover decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leftovers Deck in Highlander Style

Agency/Hastur/Misk

15 Agency
Agency Groundskeeper
Confident Rookie
G-Men
Government Exorcist
Mr. Ngambe
Monster Hunter
Steve Clarney
Repo Man
Safari Hunter
Unorthodox Psychologist
The Barque Miskatonic
Dynamite
Hand restraints
Interrogation Center (might bite me in the butt, but I hate DoE)
Torch the Joint!

15 Hastur
Atlach-Nacha
Ghost
Giant Albino Penguin
Eric Zann
Messenger from Beyond
Predatory Byakhee
Shadow Company
Strealthy Byakhee
Thing from the Stars
Wandering Inmate
Agrophobia
Brain Transplant
Despair
Local Brew
Victoria's Loft

15 Miskatonic
Dr. Ali Kafour
Howard Ludvinski
Obsessive Insomniac
Professor Albert Wilmarth (OS)
Professor Albert Wilmarth (FE)
Professor Lake
Professor Nathaniel Peaslee
Scholarly Plagiarist
Shortsighted Librarian
Academic Obfuscation
Celaeno Fragments
Dream Diary
Heavy Furs
Rabbit's Foot
Sleeping Pills

5 Neutrals
The Cornered Man
Kaman-Thah
Nasht
Slime Mold
Secret Stiletto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.