Popular Tags: [View All]
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the third installment in my little series of session reports, and the final for this series since I had resolved to write it until I won a game. The first is here[/url and the [url=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/518004/cursed-again-a-k-a-that-cthulhu-is-a-real-devious]second is here. This time I took detailed notes of each turn, which I will condense for your enjoyment.

For today's game Bob Jenkins (the salesman), Gloria Goldberg (the author), and Carolyn Fern (the psychologist) teamed up to save the world from Azathoth. Bob begins the investigation with a Map of Arkham, a Derringer, an Enchanted Knife and an Elder Sign(!). Gloria begins with a Lantern, an Old Journal, and two spells: Red Sign of Shudde M'ell and Mists of Releh. Carolyn begins with Whiskey, a Lucky Cigarette Case, the Sword of Glory and the Powder of Ibn Ghazi.

First Mythos card is a rumor and is thus discarded.

Blackest Night descends on Arkham, opening a gate to Another Dimension at the Black Cave. A Ghost and a Zombie are released.

Turn 1
Bob heads off to the General Store and purchases a Shotgun. Gloria reads her Old Journal, gaining 3 clues. She then moves to Hibb's Roadhouse, gaining 2 more clues but loses $7 to pickpockets. Carolyn takes a trip to the Curiousitie Shoppe and finds an Elder Sign to buy.

A gate to the Abyss opens at the Unvisited Isle, releasing a Maniac. Rumor of "Good Things Undone" in Eastown Streets.

This is not the first game where I've been lucky enough to find multiple Elder Signs early, however it does not necessarily mean easy victory…

Turn 2
Gloria moves to Eastown Streets to quell the rumor. She spends 6 clue tokens, dispelling it. In return she finds a Cultes Des Goules, Carolyn discovers a Healing Stone, and Bob finds some Holy Water. Meanwhile Carolyn heads to the Unvisited Isle, defeats the Maniac and moves through the gate to the Abyss. There she is delayed by lurking monsters. Bob moves to the Black Cave, defeats both the the Zombie and the Ghost then moves through the gate to Another Dimension. He stares into the face of madness, losing sanity but gaining a clue.

A gate to Dreamlands opens at the Witch House, releasing an Elder Thing.

Turn 3
Carolyn is no longer delayed, but the stress causes a loss of sanity. Bob moves through Another Dimension, finding a cache with a Calvary Saber. Gloria travels to Independence Square, finding a clue and pausing to picnic with some friendly people.

Another gate to the Abyss appears, this time at the Unnameable, releasing a Warlock.

Turn 4
Bob returns through the gate to the Black Cave. He uses his Elder Sign to seal it (#1). The stress is too much, he loses his last sanity and is taken to the asylum. Gloria takes a walk to the Science Building, finding a clue. She meets an old professor who gives her he Blue Watcher of the Pyramid. Carolyn moves through the Abyss without major event.

The seal holds at the Black Cave, but the Silver Twilight Lodge releases a Cultist and a Mi-Go to the streets.

Turn 5
Gloria heads to the Woods to find 2 clues (for a total of 5). She attempts to steal a weapon from a sleeping gang member, but gets caught, beaten and pushed back out to the streets. Carolyn returns to the Unvisited Isle and uses her Elder Sign to seal the gate (#2). Bob purchases expert mental health care at the Asylum.

A gate to the Plateau of Leng opens at the Graveyard, releasing a Ghoul. The Mi-Go flies to the street where Gloria is walking.

Turn 6
Gloria fights the Mi-Go, defeating it to find an Elder Sign. Carolyn meets Gloria in the streets and trades the Healing Stone for the Elder Sign. Bob moves to the Rivertown Streets to battle the Elder Thing. He is overcome with horror, but manages to blast it with his shotgun, killing it.

There's a monster surge @ the Unnameable releasing 2 Fire Vampires and a Cultist. The Egyptian Exhibit comes to Miskatonic University.

Turn 7
Carolyn moves to the Merchant District, defeating the Cultist that was roaming there. Bob heads off to French Hill to fight and defeat the Cultist in that area. Gloria heads to the Unnameable, stopping first to grab the Sword of Glory and Healing Stone from Carolyn. She casts Mist of Releh to evade the Warlock, then moves through the gate to the Abyss. She barely arrives when the caverns split and she falls through to the Dreamlands.

A gate to the Great Hall of Celano opens in the Woods, releasing a Star Spawn. A heat wave closes the Egyptian Exhibit.

Turn 8
Bob brings his trophies to the Police Station and is Deputized. Gloria moves through the Dreamlands, staying focused so as not to become obsessed with the golden city of her dreams. Carolyn heads to the Unnameable and battles the Warlock. Initially she does not do well and sustains some damage. In the end she defeats him with the aid of a clue. Searching his body she finds two new clues. She moves through the gate into the Abyss. There she finds $8 in a stone chest.

The seal holds at the Black Cave, but a rumor spreads about Disturbing the Dead.

Turn 9
Gloria travels back through the gate to the Witch house. She closes and seals the gate (#3). Carolyn continues through the Abyss, finding a quiet place to rest. Bob drives to the Rivertown Streets, killing the Ghoul that's wandering there.

A surge at the Graveyard releases a Chthonian, a Hound of Tindalos, and a Dhole (that's right!). The rumor continues to spread, raising the terror level.

Turn 10
Carolyn returns to the Unnameable to find Dhole waiting for her. She can't evade it, she's horrified in it's presence and unable to defeat it, even when she uses her Powder of Ibn-Ghazi. She's knocked out and taken to the Hospital. Bob heads to the General Store to buy a Cross. Gloria travels to the Hospital (casting Mists of Releh to evade Star Spawn) where she consoles Carolyn and trades the Sword of Glory and Healing Stone for the Elder Sign.

A gate to the City of the Great Race opens at Independence Square (it's a Rumor, which get's ignored). A Byakhee is released to the Outskirts.

Turn 11
Bob drives to the Uptown streets to dispatch of the Star Spawn with his trusty shotgun. Gloria travels safely to the Woods. Once there she uses the Blue Watcher statue to defeat the Chthonian. She moves through the gate to the Great Hall, avoiding a written trap. Carolyn pays for expert care at the Hospital.

A surge at the Unnameable release a Byakhee and a Witch. A Formless Spawn is seen in the Outskirts.

Turn 12
Gloria continues to move through the Great Hall, but the strain is depleting her sanity. Carolyn heads to the Silver Twilight Lodge, pausing to get the Deputy's Revolver and a Map from Bob. She's invited to join the lodge and agrees. Bob drives to Hibb's Roadhouse gaining a clue, but losing all of his money to a pickpocket.

A surge at the Graveyard overflows the outskirts, pushing the Terror level up. An Ill Wind blows through Arkham, passing through the gate to Gloria, who becomes Cursed.

Turn 13
Carolyn travels to the Unvisited Isle, gaining 2 clues (total of 5!) and searching a pile of human bones to learn the Flesh Ward spell. Bob moves to the Black Cave, finding a clue. While there he meets Tom "Mountain" Murphy, but can't convince him to join the investigation. Gloria returns to the Woods, defeating the Byakhee. She seals the gate with her Elder Sign (#4), banishing the Fire Vampires.

A surge at Unnameable releases a Witch, a Dark Young, and another Hound of Tindalos.

Turn 14
Bob drives to Unnameable to face the monsters hanging around. He easily defeats the 2 Witches.The Dhole is too much though, knocking him out and sending him to the hospital. Gloria gets lucky and removes her curse. She moves to the Historical Society and finds a clue. She is denied access to the private library because she has no cash. Carolyn moves to Independence Square, smiting the Hound of TIndalos with her Sword of Glory. She moves through the gate to City of the Great Race, walking past an angled structure rather than exploring it.

The seal at the Unvisited Isle holds, but a Chill Rises from the Grave….

Turn 15
Gloria reads her Cultes Des Goules, learning the Find Gate Spell and gaining a clue. Then she moves to Ma's Boarding House and convinces Anna Kaslow to join her. Anna gives Gloria 2 clues (total of 5!). Carolyn moves through the City, finding her own copy of Cultes Des Goules among a pile of incomprehensible artifacts. Bob purchases expert medical care at the Hospital.

A gate to Yuggoth opens at the Silver Twilight Lodge, releasing a Cultist. The Hound of Tindalos moves to Ma's Boarding House in search of Gloria.

Turn 16
Carolyn returns to Independence Square, but fails to close the gate. Bob drives to Ma's, killing the Hound with his Enchanted Knife. This display is enough to convince Tom Murphy to join him now. Gloria moves to the Silver Twilight Lodge, killing the Cultist along the way. She moves through the gate to Yuggoth. A Nightgaunt appears, she fails the combat check and is pushed back out of the gate to the Lodge.

The Seal holds at the Woods. Miskatonic University closes.

Turn 17
Bob drives to the Curiousitie Shoppe and purchases Book of Dzyan. Gloria remains at the Lodge, closing and sealing the gate (#5). Carolyn attempts to close the gate at Independence Square, but fails again.

The seal holds at the Woods. All Quiet in Arkham. Gloria and Carolyn are Blessed.

Turn 18
Gloria heads to the Historical Society, finding 2 clues. She has to sneak back out past the creepy man who made her uncomfortable. Carolyn remains at Independence Square… Bob drives to the Graveyard to battle the Dark Young, eventually killing it with his Enchanted Knife. Carolyn finally closes and seals the final gate. Victory!

-----
This game saw four rumor cards, though only two made it into play. Fortunately the "Disturbing the Dead" rumor could be safely ignored (it can push the terror level up, but it also can do nothing, which is what happened this game).

Taking notes like this on each move of every turn slowed the game down (obviously) but really helped me focus on the strategic options each turn and I feel like I played better because of it. If you're still learning the game I'd recommend trying to keep notes like this at least once.

Thanks for reading these tales of my CURSE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmorneau wrote:
Blackest Night descends on Arkham, opening a gate to Another Dimension at the Black Cave. A Ghost and a Zombie are released.

Where did the second monster come from? Houserule to put 2 on the first gate?

Quote:
Bob heads off to the General Store and purchases a Shotgun.

*snicker

"Heads off", he starts there !

Quote:
Gloria heads to the Woods to find 2 clues (for a total of 5). She attempts to steal a weapon from a sleeping gang member, but gets caught, beaten and pushed back out to the streets.

A gate to the Plateau of Leng opens at the Graveyard, releasing a Ghoul. The Mi-Go flies to the street where Gloria is walking.

IIRC, French Hill and Uptown Streets aren't connected, so the Mi-Go would've flown to the Sky.

Pfft, 3 Elder Signs .

Also, you seem to fight the monsters quite a lot, even when there doesn't seem to be a pressing need to do so. Last could very well be a style conflict, I'm 100% about the gates, don't care about Terror (except with certain GOOs and/or Heralds), don't care about monsters. 6 seals is the goal, everything else is a distraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
davidmorneau wrote:

Where did the second monster come from? Houserule to put 2 on the first gate?

Yes, houserule. I don't remember where I read that suggestion, but I like it.

Dam the Man wrote:
davidmorneau wrote:
Gloria heads to the Woods to find 2 clues (for a total of 5). She attempts to steal a weapon from a sleeping gang member, but gets caught, beaten and pushed back out to the streets.

IIRC, French Hill and Uptown Streets aren't connected, so the Mi-Go would've flown to the Sky.

user error...

Dam the Man wrote:
Also, you seem to fight the monsters quite a lot, even when there doesn't seem to be a pressing need to do so. Last could very well be a style conflict, I'm 100% about the gates, don't care about Terror (except with certain GOOs and/or Heralds), don't care about monsters. 6 seals is the goal, everything else is a distraction.

I do like fighting the monsters when I can. Mostly to keep the terror from rising too fast so I can keep shops and options open. I also like to exchange trophies for other goodies along the way.

In this game the Doom Track was under control (never went above 6) so the urgency of the gates was a bit reduced. It seemed more prudent to only venture to OW when I had enough clues (or an ES) to seal. So instead I spent time chasing down monsters (especially with Bob).

I'm curious to try a game more your style... will see.

thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing that all but forces my style of play is that on average the GOO wakes up from the doom track filling after 14 turns. Meaning there is no time to "waste" turns ending in streets. Not only are the Elder Signs a lot more diluted (4 in 39 card UI deck with base game, 4 in 98 in my setup), gate bursts can remove seals and with DH and IH in the mix, there are 20 unstable locations (compared to 11 with just base).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is not the first game where I've been lucky enough to find multiple Elder Signs early, however it does not necessarily mean easy victory

No easy victory, by any means! Last weekend while playing KiY, one of our investigators ended up with 2 Elder Signs around the beginning of the game too. I've been looking to aquire the Black Goat of the Woods expansion, and noticed there is a detriment that can be given for carying too many Elder Signs around. That might make things interesting, to say the least.

Nice report, for sure. Just out of curosity, was this a solo, three-investigator game, or a three-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Thing that all but forces my style of play is that on average the GOO wakes up from the doom track filling after 14 turns. Meaning there is no time to "waste" turns ending in streets. Not only are the Elder Signs a lot more diluted (4 in 39 card UI deck with base game, 4 in 98 in my setup), gate bursts can remove seals and with DH and IH in the mix, there are 20 unstable locations (compared to 11 with just base).

I'm sure my play style will have to change too once I add some expansions. Still it was nice to have an easy(ish) game—and a win—for a change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vito 1 wrote:
Nice report, for sure. Just out of curosity, was this a solo, three-investigator game, or a three-player?

Thanks Vito. It was a solo game. I've been playing solo since I got AH last month. I'm introducing it to my group next week and feel ready now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report. That pickpocked in Hibb's made a killing.

I noticed something that I may be misinterpreting. On Turn 10, Carolyn returned to Unnameable and was stomped by the dhole. On the same turn,
Gloria visited Carolyn in the hospital, giving Carolyn a Healing Stone and Sword of Glory for an Elder Sign. Gloria later used the Elder Sign to seal The Great Hall of Celeano at The Woods.

Carolyn could have ignored the dhole for one turn and sealed the gate with the Elder Sign.

If the AO had been paying attention, this would have been just the opeing it needed to devour us all. But don't let the destruction of the world put any extra pressure on you. I'm in my fiftieth parallel universe for exactly this reason.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Carolyn could have ignored the dhole for one turn and sealed the gate with the Elder Sign.

Really? I thought that since she ended movement on the same location as a monster she had to at least evade it before going into the encounter phase. (She failed the evade, which led to the subsequent hospitalization.)

Maybe I misunderstood this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you return to Arkham from an OW, you can ignore the monsters at your location until the end of the turn. Thus, if you return in the movement phase, you get a shot at closing/sealing in the Arkham encounter phase after movement. However, there is the other possibility, that you return from an OW encounter (or Mythos effect). Since the immunity lasts until the end of the turn, you're basically SOL as far as the monsters go. You can't close/seal anymore since phase 3 is already gone and next turn phase 2 comes before 3, so need to deal with the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
When you return to Arkham from an OW, you can ignore the monsters at your location until the end of the turn.

I get the first part, since there's no talk about combat in the Returning to Arkham portion of the Other World movement rules.

Why is there combat at the end of the turn? I don't see that in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I get the first part, since there's no talk about combat in the Returning to Arkham portion of the Other World movement rules.

You deal with monsters in the movement phase, regardless of whether you used Arkham or OW movement this turn. If you used OW movement, you get a free pass for the turn.

Quote:
Why is there combat at the end of the turn? I don't see that in the rules.

There is no combat normally (though Mythos can get the drop on you), just pointing out the immunity lasts only until the end of the turn you return.

Examples:

OW movement: return to Arkham (free pass to ignore monsters)
Arkham Encounter: close/seal

vs

Turn 1:
OW encounter: return to Arkham
Mythos phase (turn ends, along with your free pass)
Turn 2:
Movement Phase: deal with monsters
Arkham Encounters: close/seal (assuming you're still at the location)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
When you return to Arkham from an OW, you can ignore the monsters at your location until the end of the turn. Thus, if you return in the movement phase, you get a shot at closing/sealing in the Arkham encounter phase after movement.

I don't doubt that you're right, but I can't seem to find this in the rulebook. Can you help me out?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"MONSTERS GUARDING GATES
During the turn he returns to Arkham from an Other
World, an investigator does not have to evade or fight
any monsters in the gate’s location. This rule only
applies during the turn he returns to Arkham; in subsequent
turns, if the investigator remains in the location,
he must evade or fight any monsters there as normal." (p. 18)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there it is. silly me I was looking under Movement and Combat... didn't see this extra paragraph.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmorneau wrote:

Gloria moves to the Silver Twilight Lodge, killing the Cultist along the way. She moves through the gate to Yuggoth. A Nightgaunt appears, she fails the combat check and is pushed back out of the gate to the Lodge.

It never occured to me, but that's entirely logical - I had never thought that encountering and losing to a Nightgaunt in another world would do that. But I guess the question then is if you get the explored marker upon your return? Heheheheheh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter106 wrote:
davidmorneau wrote:

Gloria moves to the Silver Twilight Lodge, killing the Cultist along the way. She moves through the gate to Yuggoth. A Nightgaunt appears, she fails the combat check and is pushed back out of the gate to the Lodge.

It never occured to me, but that's entirely logical - I had never thought that encountering and losing to a Nightgaunt in another world would do that. But I guess the question then is if you get the explored marker upon your return? Heheheheheh...

Fortunately I had come across this thread last week sometime, otherwise I wouldn't have been sure what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.