Simon Hebert
Canada
Vercheres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, as the title says, which big box expansion would you recommend me to play solo and which one would you recommend me to play for 2 players. Expansion recommendation could be same or different based on player number.

Thank
breach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Ilchenko
Ukraine
Kyiv
Kyiv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frozen Wastes
(Sands of Al-Kalim)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid Midnight.

Have you played some of the small box scenario expansions for the base game? They have different endings and some different larger monster encounters.

As for big box expansions, my best recommendation is to wait and get Mists of Zanaga.

Sands is best from what is out right now probably, but I would most recommend trying some small box scenario expansions (especially the Cult of Death one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Definitely not Midnight.

I would order the big boxes this way for 2 player:

Sands of Al-Kalim
Frozen Wastes
Mists of Zanaga --Temporary slot until we know more, could only go up.
Isle of Dread
Midnight

For solo, I would flip flop Frozen Wastes and Sands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hebert
Canada
Vercheres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great! Thank guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Smith
msg tools
mbmb
Having recently replayed every small card expansion and big box expansions several times, I actually find the small expansions more enjoyable. Like mentioned above, avoid Midnight and Avatars of Kelnov (not bad, but it's the same as the base game).

Sands is probably the best big box expansion. I would also say that Isle of Dread is better than Frozen Wastes. Frozen is easy unless the Red event card is drawn. But it's the challenge cards that are too easy & with the duplicates it often becomes dull.

Small boxes: The best ones tend to be the most different to Rise of the Dragonlords. I'm really liking Cataclysm at the moment. Cult of the Rune as mentioned is good too. If you ever end up with 3+ players I find the endgame of Crown of the Elder Kings cool as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
I would avoid Midnight.

Have you played some of the small box scenario expansions for the base game? They have different endings and some different larger monster encounters.

Can Midnight really be found (for a reasonable price no less?) It's the one expansion that seems to get the most flack, but of all the other expansions, the only one that doesn't seem to be getting a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
Grimstax wrote:
I would avoid Midnight.

Can Midnight really be found (for a reasonable price no less?) It's the one expansion that seems to get the most flack, but of all the other expansions, the only one that doesn't seem to be getting a reprint.

It can be found, but usually only at collector's prices nowadays.

But there's a reason it's not getting reprinted, so you may get lucky and find somebody who just wants to get rid of his copy or trade you for something.

Regarding Midnight and the other big-box expansions, I suggest taking a peek at these reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.