3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: AH disappointed me, What abt ATOE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
A while ago I've posted asking our fellow geek to compare Arkham Horror, Fury of Dracula, and A Touch of Evil.

What resulted was that ATOE was said to be AH lite. Tried Arkham horror with a friends copy after that, the results were...shake

It was fun the first attempt as our gaming group experience the new mechanic and the story on the location cards.

However after a third time it just felt too tedious to play with the upkeep, keeping tally of all the things going on (monster surge etc) and urber randomness

But the question, considering this would it be better to go for A Touch of Evil instead? Unless its just the same thing but smaller then yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I own both, and have a couple plays of each under my belt. Whether you should try aToE depends a little bit on your group - it keeps the same basic die roll for combat, and has much of the same "go to location, have encounter" gameplay. What it changes is that ATOE is much less fiddly to keep track of. It plays quicker, if that's a consideration. Finally, it also has a competitive aspect. In fact, competitive is the default method of play, co-op is extra.

My personal recommendation is that if you can trade AH to get ATOE, then by all means, go for it. Otherwise, you have to really ask yourself if you want a "story-based" kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to agree with the above assessment...

AToE is a fantastic game in its own right, but it is sort of like Arkham-Lite.
For many that's a great thing. It is much shorter. It does have a lot less to track, recall, etc.

It's a fantastic game, worth every penny. Of course, I love AH, too...so that doesn't mean much to you.

If you do trade AH for AToE...make sure there's at least a small sweetner in it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.