49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Anything wrong with Agricola? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mo Ezzi
msg tools
Im about to head of to the shops this evening to purchase Agricola in preperation for this weekend. The missus and myself will be playing it, she hasnt played anything other than MOnopoly, but is keen to play Agricola. I myself have only played Risk, Catan and few mainstreems like chess etc.

Is there anything wrong with Agricola, im just hoping to kickstart future gaming nights and purchses with my girlfriend and I, and worried this might be the wrong game choice.

I have also had a look at Goa.

We are both competitive and dont mind a little bit of banter etc, so the games dont need to be nice. She even mentioned she would like to take over the world etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking over the world and Agricola have absolutely nothing in common. Only subtle interaction in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty big jump, complexity wise. Way more bits, rules, and complexity than anything you list as having played before. I really like Agricola, but I think you should be ready for a couple of games where you are just kind of confused as to what is going on. If you aren't willing to accept that, you may want to seek something a little simpler (at least for now).

I highly recommend taking a look at Scott Nicholson's video: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/334149/bgws-video-explan.... It's long, but by the end of it you should have a pretty good idea of whether this is something you are excited to play.

Plus you'll know how to pronounce it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Agricola and Goa are great games, but they are pretty different from Monopoly, even Settlers of Catan. They are also a step up in complexity, and the rulebooks are not simple to get through on your own. If you're not sure about these games, then I recommend you do some research about them before you buy.

If you have specific things you like about boargames, post there here and we can recommend some others, if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uhmm...you have a missus and a girlfriend? Awesome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is a very good game, I have played it 5-6 times and still have no idea what I am doing, although I think I am closer to being on track. I have a friend who on his first game game in close to the best player in my game group, so it's not so difficult for some people. :p

The big drawback with it is how much set up you have to do, at the end of every round you will need to resupply the board with animals, food and building materials, it takes time, is easy to make mistakes and/or forget what you have resupplied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dr
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide Agricola is too complex for now and want to start with something a little simpler, I recommend Carcassonne. Simpler rules and getting started, yet clearly very different than Monopoly or Risk, thus you'll definitely feel that you're getting into designer/Eurogames.

Plus the gameplay is sort of taking over the world (or at least little bits of the world at a time), and 2-player Carc can get nice and nasty, with plenty of opportunity for banter and trash talk.

My kids and sisters-in-law enjoyed Carcassonne as their first Eurogame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I highly recommend taking a look at Scott Nicholson's video: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/334149/bgws-video-explan.... It's long, but by the end of it you should have a pretty good idea of whether this is something you are excited to play.

QFT. Not only that, but if you watch the video, you will also have a pretty good understanding of how the game is played. This will help you a great deal once you start to read the manual (which is also available online, btw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is complex, but don't be afraid (or feel ashamed) to just stick with the family rules the first few times. Some of the most fun we've had was with that simpler rules set (that doesn't use any of the occupations or minor improvement cards).

I'd say download the rules from Zman games and watch the recommended video and see if its still your cup of tea. Definitely try playing a few rounds on your own to get a feel for it.

If she's excited about it..go for it. It will definitely be a bit of shock in terms of complexity, but its a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with Agricola. It's only the best game ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh i think i would pick up GOA instead of Agricola....it's out of print and you're REALLY lucky to find it new anywhere....grab it before it's gone!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Agricola seems to me the wrong game to start off with. After all, it's widely considered here to be, if not the best, then one of the best games ever. Wouldn't it be better to work up to that rather than start off with the best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

Except it should be "a-GREE-cola" according to both classical and medieval church Latin pronunciation. Where does this "grick" pronunciation come from?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

Except it should be "a-GREE-cola" according to both classical and medieval church Latin pronunciation. Where does this "grick" pronunciation come from?!

My friend is a Latin teacher, and I have been meaning to ask her the pronunciation, I think I will go do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you try it, you should seriously consider what I consider the best review of the game here: (no, it's not mine).
http://boardgame.geekdo.com/thread/341924/worst-wargame-ever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're thinking of getting it, researching stuff on here, and asking about it . . . yeah, you're probably ready for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. M. G.
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If portuguese will do as a latin language example: ah - gree - col - a
The 'col' is like the col in collection, not "col" like college or "col" with the 'ol'sounding like "owl".
The "gree" is not like "greetings", but like ... like hollywood actors impersonate a chinese person saying "green". Sorry, but that's the best I can do to explain it

We should probably get input from someone who studies Latin per se, anyway. Or get opinions from italians, spanish, brazilian, portuguese, romenian, french, (...) people and see what we got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
so, you know Agreeeecola is gonna be a bit more complex than what you are used to, but please don't be scared off.

The game is very adaptable in complexity - just start with the "family game". It really shouldnt be called that, and should be called the "start-up game" or the like so people dont think of the family game as a simple game fully lacking in strategy; which it is not.

The Family Game does not utilize many of the cards used in the normal version of the game, and focuses instead on growing your farm through utilization of action spaces on the board as opposed to having to reference 14 cards in your hand. I second the suggestion to watch some video's on the game first if you like, then, play the family game. After a game or two of the family game you can introduce the cards a little at a time - like dealing out just 4 cards instead of the full 14.

Agricola is also quite demanding and unforgiving in that while tending to all the requirements to build up your farm, you must also feed your family members two food each (which is harder than it sounds). Here is an Agricola starter trick: for the first game, only require players to feed their family members one food each. This makes the game much, much less stressful, and allows players to get used to the mechanics while being able to truly enjoy their first game - hence, they are more likely to want to play again.

I would also reccomend this excellent list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/332022/common-mistakes-w...

which lists commonly made mistakes in Agricola.

Thanks - and good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder If I could play Agricola with my Axis n Allies pieces?

Sorry... It must be the full moon. Crazy ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to start with the family version to get the mechanics down, but I'd say go ahead.

You might want to consider purchasing the animeeples. They are an extra $11 online+shipping, and they increase the 'cuteness' factor of the game, by replacing the cubes that represent the sheep, pigs and cows.

Also Agricola scales well from 2 to 4 players. It's a bit long with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG YAS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Try Stone Age instead. Agricola has a lot of rulebook lookups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vmgottin wrote:
The 'col' is like the col in collection, not "col" like college

Is there supposed to be a different -col sound for those two words?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
vmgottin wrote:
We should probably get input from someone who studies Latin per se, anyway. Or get opinions from italians, spanish, brazilian, portuguese, romenian, french, (...) people and see what we got.

My opinion was based on 5-6 years of studying Latin under two different teachers (for the classical) and having two Catholic parents, including a Jesuit altarboy (for the church). An "I" is pronounced the same from everyone I've ever known, and is the same as in all modern romance languages (and Indo-European languages, for that matter).

More on topic, I agree with the bippi that Stone Age is a really good stepping stone to Agricola if you have any doubts that you're ready for it. Agricola is very "fiddly" for people not into heavier games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is a very good game.

Be prepared, the rule book is TERRIBLE. It is fine once you know how to play the game but it is rough sledding the first time through. Just temper your expectations the first couple times. It will be worth it but be patient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.