Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a good laugh when I saw this, and then thought about it a bit. This looks really interesting (or am I crazy?)

Anyone else heard about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Trading_card_game

And is anyone from here contributing to it?

EDIT: The link apparently doesn't want to work in full for some reason, so you have to copy-paste the url.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps someone should propose to them a Dominion-style game instead, where you don't actually need to collect cards. Seems to match the open spirit of Wikipedia a bit more.

Don't know how interesting it sounds thought, theme seems a little dry for me. But some of the proposed cards are quite entertaining.

If done right, some potential to get a small cult following

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it's basically using 1000 Blank White Cards to create a publishable product?

Interesting. Sort of like crowdsourcing a game design, but with far more trolls involved...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlmirkes wrote:
So, it's basically using 1000 Blank White Cards to create a publishable product?

Nah, I'm getting the impression that it's a serious attempt at a game.

minismurf wrote:
Perhaps someone should propose to them a Dominion-style game instead, where you don't actually need to collect cards. Seems to match the open spirit of Wikipedia a bit more.

I agree. I'm not one to really care too much about theme, so the dryness didn't really affect my opinion. But from a game design standpoint, it seemed interesting to try to think of how to pull it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was another public collaborative CCG that was being worked on a while ago. I was keeping up with it for a while but I lost track of it. I can't remember the name or the website now. It was very interesting.

I know, not really helpful but I'm hoping this will jar someone's memory.

Edit: Found it http://www.4gxg.com/conspiracy.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was involved in 4GxG for a short while when it first started. In fact, I received a cash award for a mechanic that passed the screening process early on. I ended up dropping out of it due to (a) getting more serious on my own game design and meeting regularly to that end, and (b) the design-by-committee approach wasn't really doing it for me. So many people with so many ideas, and their own preferences in gameplay and theme, etc. It became a little frustrating for me trying to keep up with it all, so I ultimately stopped participating altogether.

I'm not sure how that first project (Conspiracy!) ended up; I think they have PDF printable card sets and a rulebook, and last I heard they were gearing up for a new project, possibly with different methodology. The guy running it (Ray Liu) is a nice guy and ran the project pretty well, I thought -- it just wasn't for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.