Subject: Is something wrong with me?.........Please answer "yes" or "no"!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have encountered several people at home and at work that can't seem to answer a direct question with 2 or 3 possible answers. If I ask my daughter if she wants A or B for breakfast, she won't just answer "A" or "B" but will instead try to give me some sort of explanation.

The same thing happened years ago with another relative that I was serving a meal to, I asked him: "Do you want rice or bread with your chicken?" and he couldn't just say "rice" or "bread" but started to give me some sort of long, drawn out explanation of his life-time food preferences. Meanwhile, I'm standing there with their quickly cooling plate in my hands poised to serve the bread or rice. I actually had to ask him several more times again, until I just said (probably not too nicely): "Please just say 'rice' or 'bread' and give me the explanation later!"

The other day at work I was discussing something with a co-worker and asked him if deleting a certain statement would negate the issue or just not address it? He couldn't just say one or the other and tried explaining (again) to me why the statement was being removed........

OK, is it me? Am I too OCD or logically focused when I ask questions? Should my questions be more open-ended and not offer response choices? I'm thinking that when I'm looking for information and/or an answer I know what the possible answers could be and offer them to speed things up and/or get a clear, concise answer.

Is this wrong? Is it hard for folks to answer a question with specific answer choices? Do any of you ask questions like this? Do any of you like or dislike answering questions like this?

Thanks!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Me: Can I have the name of your computer so I can remote control into it and fix your problem?

User: Oh, you know, it's weird you should ask that because I was just looking at this picture on my desk of Mark Hamill and... (This goes on for several minutes)

It's not just you. I get this all the time and it drives me batty.

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with you!

I can't decide which is a worse response to an or question, an explanation or a yes answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Nothing is wrong. Yes, I am like this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of figured it was a geek thing........whew, I'm starting to feel better now!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
I also am not thrilled when someone interrupts what I am doing to ask me to do something, or to help them with something later... and give a exposition along with it.

You've wasted my time and interrupted TV or radio shows that I'll have to now make extra effort to go back and find out what I missed. You're also asking to waste my time in the future, And now you won't shut up, continuing to waste my time. You know I always meet your request, usually just to get rid of you as quickly as possible. Why do you need to tell me details and minutiae? It will get done, If you don't want to bother with courtesy of getting my attention during a lull or commercial, at least get in, get out, and go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst part about work? Constant phone and in person interruptions that if you don't completely stop what you're doing and give that person your 100% attention--never mind if you are super busy or working on deadline material--you will be labeled as short, unfriendly, unhelpful, or even rude!!!!

shake

Yeah, I come to work to talk at length about crap with all of you folks that are NOT my friends, that I have NO choice but to interact with, and that I have NOTHING in common with!!

//rant off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

The same thing happened years ago with another relative that I was serving a meal to, I asked him: "Do you want rice or bread with your chicken?" and he couldn't just say "rice" or "bread" but started to give me some sort of long, drawn out explanation of his life-time food preferences. Meanwhile, I'm standing there with their quickly cooling plate in my hands poised to serve the bread or rice. I actually had to ask him several more times again, until I just said (probably not too nicely): "Please just say 'rice' or 'bread' and give me the explanation later!"

Rice please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Rice please.

But I need to know WHY you prefer rice and what your preferences have historically been with every meal since you were born!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinross_19 wrote:
yes

Surprised it took this long for someone to post this!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a saying that Buddha was once at the margin of lake when three disciples approached him asking if he preferred rice or bread with his chicken. Buddha, not one to disappoint his disciples, thought for some time, around 4 years, and calmly addressed the point by telling the disciples a tale of hen, rabbits, and crops. It was a beautiful tale and the sun was setting at the lake at that moment, giving a great photo op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I tend to see more often answering a question that has not been asked in the first place.

"Hi there, can I help you?"

"Fine thank you I'd like a latte."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eggie and I have a word for this: chicken.

Whenever one of us is answering a question by not answering it at all, the other interrupts with "chicken!" and the conversation resets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Whenever one of us is answering a question by not answering it at all, the other interrupts with "chicken!" and the conversation resets.

That is brilliant! I will have to start using this trick... do you think it will work the same if I don't let my wife in on the idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
I tend to see more often answering a question that has not been asked in the first place.

That's funny.....I once read of a study where folks answered the typical "How are you?" with some other kind of answer instead of the programmed "Fine, thanks how are you?" In a large percentage of cases the greeter answered "Fine, thanks."

Most of us are so programmed with this greeting exchange that we don't really listen or pay attention to the responses. IN other words, most people don't really listen, and don't really care about whether the other person is "fine" or not!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Hmmmmmmmm....I will have to remember this, for the future.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

Is this wrong? Is it hard for folks to answer a question with specific answer choices? Do any of you ask questions like this? Do any of you like or dislike answering questions like this?

Thanks!!

kiss

I am exactly like this. I want straight answers, not in between flip-flipping indecisiveness!

Yes my world is in black and white.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "How are you?" exchanges always remind me of our Guinea pigs when they meet each other. It's pretty much just "I know you are here."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and another example with my little one. We have started playing my new game, Ra, and when an auction is called, each player in turn has to bid or pass. Each time I have to prod her: "Bid or pass?" or she just shouts out "pass" or places her bid before it is her turn!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Thanks!!

kiss

I am exactly like this. I want straight answers, not in between flip-flipping indecisiveness!

Yes my world is in black and white.

Hmmmmmmm........I'm not surprised!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'know, I'd like the rice AND the bread, please. Then again, I'm a glutton for punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
zorazen wrote:

That's funny.....I once read of a study where folks answered the typical "How are you?" with some other kind of answer instead of the programmed "Fine, thanks how are you?" In a large percentage of cases the greeter answered "Fine, thanks."

Most of us are so programmed with this greeting exchange that we don't really listen or pay attention to the responses. IN other words, most people don't really listen, and don't really care about whether the other person is "fine" or not!!!

I love the scene early in the film Sixteen Candles when Molly Ringwald's character first sees her grandparents. She greets with the typical "How are you?", and then both grandparents proceed to dump on her a litany of ailments that they are currently experiencing! Always makes me chuckle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no... Maybe so?

I want Tortillas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My mom would always give long, drawn out explanations because she was trying to get me to understand what was going on or why the way things work the way they do. It'd always annoy me. I'd always try to interrupt and say, "I know, Mom. You don't have to explain." But she'd keep going.

So now, I find that that's the way I talk to her -- long, drawn out answers. And I know she hates it because she'll keep interrupting me to tell me, "I know, Amy." I guess that's just the way she taught me to be. I don't think I do that with anyone else, though. I hope I don't do that with our son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.