CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
When you think of a Wallace Waro you think a couple of things. Lots of dice, well balanced, and a nice dry Chianti. But Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth! adds a little spice to that mix. It definitely is not your typical Wallace fare. In Moongha, you play a mad scientist out to destroy the planet with you gang of giant mutated monster mash. Bwahahahahaha!

First I'll take about the game itself. The map is a risk like layout with all the major cities of the world, with connections to each other. Each player has a set of identical monsters to start with and two cities picked at random. These cities must have paid that One Million Dollars, because those are the ones you want to save(Possibly for future experiments) . Each of the seven monsters(Kidoo, Spectoor, Shaggoo, Bloob, Moogre, and Mechoor) has a special ability attached to it, and only the last three mentioned can attack cities outright. The game is played for 8-9 rounds depending on the number of players. Each round there are six different actions to select from. However each action starts off with a set number of selections, and an x numbers of random actions added depending on what turn it is. The first action allows you to either build a part of a monster or heal one damage on an existing monster. Once the monster cost is complete, it is let loose hidden on earth. The second action is and attack token. This allows the monsters to attack other monsters in the city or attack the city itself, if the city is attacked, then each military unit must be destroyed before the city takes damage. Each token is multiplied by it's attack value to give you the number of dice you get to roll. The next action is move or hide. This lets a monster move from one city to an adjacent city, or hide. Hiding is good, as it prevents the army and other monsters from attacking you. The next action is the HERO, he is used to find and unhide monsters in a city. He also activates any human army units in the city to attack any uncovered monsters. The next action is Military 1. This action allows you to take a unit from the action box and place it into a city, if there are any unhidden monster there, they can now be attacked, PLUS, it activates all other existing military units. The last action is Military 2. This action is the same as the first one, but has more powerful units.

Scoring is at end game and includes, points for destroying a city the most and second most. Protecting you cities from annihilation, Any monsters your Moogre eats, and the number of Drakoors you have on the board. And that is a fairly digested overview of the game.

Now for the interesting part, how does it play? The game plays pretty smooth, but it may be a bit on the long side. Eight full turns, and a lot of fiddly upkeep started to show that maybe this could have been cut down by a couple of turns to really shine. We did notice a couple of cool strategies to take.

1. Bloobs. Bloobs are cool as you have three you can build, and they can attack buildings. But also the fact that you can build each one after the first at 2 cost instead of three. They are also cool in the fact that as you collect attack tokens, and if you have them all on the board in different cites, no one can pinpoint where you will attack with bloob. The weakness of the bloob strategy is once moogre's come out, they tend to turn into puppy chow. But if you play there city attacks early, this will give you a nice quick bump of city tokens.

2.Moogre Lunch. This seemed to be a nice strategy. Moogre's can eat other monster which take them out of the game and give you VP's at the end of the game. A couple of players took this route and munched a big selection of baddies throughout the game. The problem with this strategy, is you can see them coming, and players will either run or hide away.

3. Nuke'em from space, it's the only way to be sure. If a city exceeds 7 attacks tokens by the end of the game, it scores nothing for player who hold the city token. So a good way to insure that no one get points for those, is well, destroy them. either my nuke or overwhelming attacks.(update with a rule error.)

4.Measly Humans. Well they look puny, but they kick ass! I noticed the other players were trying to ramp up their monster attack tokens...but me, I just kept sending in the army. Why, well because each time you put an army token in, it attacks and activates each other army token. After a while, a city becomes a killing machine. DON'T IGNORE THE HUMANS!

You definitely need to run a balanced game for an overall win. Attacking cities it cool, but you don't want to attack them "too" much, as it renders them useless if they exceed 8. It may be a good idea to attack a city, get your majority tokens, and then protect it a while.

Overall I thought is was a pretty cool game. I love to see how Martin Wallace struck out and did something a little different that what he is known for. I can't decide what category to put this in, is it a Waro or is it Ameritrash? It plays like a Waro but it's heavy in theme. I think both camps would probably embrace Moongha. I love the art, and the comic book like illustrations. Top notch for a typical Wallace. And the rules are not hard to grasp once you know how everything flows together. A couple of complaints that include rules, is sometime Wallace tends to not explain some of the "corner" cases, for instance if a city has one of my monsters(hidden), another players monster(hidden), and an army unit, if I bring in a scout and uncover only my monster, am I forced to attack him, since I get to select. And a few other weird case we encountered. As always designers, EXAMPLES, EXAMPLES, and more EXAMPLES please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, game looks interesting ... but what's up with all those little discs and squares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:
Good review, game looks interesting ... but what's up with all those little discs and squares?

The discs are the Monsters, and the brown squares are the Heroes, and the green squares are the military units...Lots of wood in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you think of Wallace you think a couple of things. Lots of dice, well balanced, and a nice dry Chianti.

Lots of dice? Are we thinking about the same Wallace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Quote:
When you think of Wallace you think a couple of things. Lots of dice, well balanced, and a nice dry Chianti.

Lots of dice? Are we thinking about the same Wallace?

Struggle of Empires
Perikles
Conquest of the Empire
Byzantium
Princes of the Renaissance
After the Flood

I guess I should have said from a typical Wallace Waro. But this one takes the cake. You roll all kinds of dice, sometimes up to 12
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Nice review. A few things:

MWChapel wrote:
3. Nuke'em from space, it's the only way to be sure. If a city exceeds 7 attacks tokens by the end of the game, it is essentially out of the game, and scores nothing for anybody, even the owners of the tokens. So a good way to insure that no one get points for those, is well, destroy them. either my nuke or overwhelming attacks.
I don't think this is correct. Although it is true that the player with a city token which has 8 damage cubes in it gets no points, the player with the most of the 8 cubes still gets 4vps. You do need to count the black cubes in this also, so if there are 5 black cubes and 3 red cubes, red would get 2nd place for 1VP.

MWChapel wrote:
A couple of complaints that include rules, is sometime Wallace tends to not explain some of the "corner" cases, for instance if a city has one of my monsters(hidden), another players monster(hidden), and an army unit, if I bring in a scout and uncover only my monster, am I forced to attack him, since I get to select. And a few other weird case we encountered. As always designers, EXAMPLES, EXAMPLE, and more EXAMPLES please.
For your question, I think you would be forced to attack your monster. It is certainly a risk to bring a hero into a city where you have a monster and there is other military units.

I put together a rules summary where I tried to include many of the clarifications that have come up on the forums. You can view it here: Moongha Invaders Rules Summary (English)

MWChapel wrote:
2.Moogre Lunch. This seemed to be a nice strategy. Moogre's can eat other monster which take them out of the game and give you VP's at the end of the game. A couple of players took this route and munched a big selection of baddies throughout the game. The problem with this strategy, is you can see them coming, and players will either run or hide away.
Some players actually placed military or heroes into cities where they had vulnerable monsters of their own to kill them off if someone else had a Moogre nearby. Yes, you will need to recreate them, but at least you get the monster back and don't give the points to the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
I don't think this is correct. Although it is true that the player with a city token which has 8 damage cubes in it gets no points, the player with the most of the 8 cubes still gets 4vps. You do need to count the black cubes in this also, so if there are 5 black cubes and 3 red cubes, red would get 2nd place for 1VP.

Ahh yes, you're right. We did play this wrong. I'll update it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
milgate wrote:

The discs are the Monsters, and the brown squares are the Heroes, and the green squares are the military units...Lots of wood in this game.

What? No plastic miniatures????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
milgate wrote:

Heh. Alas no. But it does seem like a prime game for replacement pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
milgate wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
milgate wrote:

Heh. Alas no. But it does seem like a prime game for replacement pieces.

Have you any idea how much this game would have cost to make if it had needed custom plastic pieces?

The print run was just about 600 games. There would need to be at least 2 sprues to make the pieces, one for monsters and one for the army units. The last I looked the cost of one mould was in the order of $5000+ so let's say $10,000 for the moulds, that means about $16 per game just for the pieces :O

If there is a reprint with a more sensible print run then perhaps there will be more sophisticated components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
If there is a reprint with a more sensible print run then perhaps there will be more sophisticated components.

If that happened, I'd be all over it. But when I considered the actual components, and the cost, there was just too much competition. I ended up buying Horus Heresy for less than I would have spent on Moongha Invaders. (Apples and oranges, I know, but both budgeted from the same brain sector in my case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Hammy wrote:
The print run was just about 600 games. There would need to be at least 2 sprues to make the pieces, one for monsters and one for the army units. The last I looked the cost of one mould was in the order of $5000+ so let's say $10,000 for the moulds, that means about $16 per game just for the pieces :O

Don't forget the extra cost of the bandit masks for each monster so that you can tell when they are hidden .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
1. Bloobs.... are also cool in the fact that as you collect attack tokens, and if you have them all on the board in different cites, no one can pinpoint where you will attack with bloob.

Just wondering if you might have been playing this wrong. When you attack with Bloobs, ALL of your Bloobs attack, so it's really no mystery to your opponents where you're attacking since all of them will attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
1. Bloobs.... are also cool in the fact that as you collect attack tokens, and if you have them all on the board in different cites, no one can pinpoint where you will attack with bloob.

Just wondering if you might have been playing this wrong. When you attack with Bloobs, ALL of your Bloobs attack, so it's really no mystery to your opponents where you're attacking since all of them will attack.

From the rules:

The Bloob. When you attack with this type of monster you can
choose to attack with some or all of your bloobs. Each bloob will
roll a number of dice equal to the number of attack cubes you
expended. Each monster can choose its own target, i.e. some may
attack the city they are in while others attack other monsters. Resolve
each attack separately and in an order of your own choosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok... I guess I've just never encountered a situation where I didn't want to use them all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Ah, ok... I guess I've just never encountered a situation where I didn't want to use them all!

Well, that city "might be yours" and really you are protecting it, so would hate to be forced to attack it.. Or the only opportunity attack is a city, with a few tanks, bad news. SO the other players when deciding where to put those tanks probably wouldn't want to place them in the city you own. In our game I did just that where I had three Bloobies in three cities, the center one was my city. I made my attacks random enough that other players reinforced my city, and I was like thanks(as long as I could stay hidden)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:

Hammy!

Good to see you mate. Still complaining about lager?

Count me in on a reasonably priced remake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Mellor
United Kingdom
London
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. I like the wood in this game - though I didn't like sticking the stickers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ill6 wrote:
Good review. I like the wood in this game - though I didn't like sticking the stickers

I take it you won't like C&C Ancients then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.