Subject: Arkham misses us.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Brown Deer
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gearing up for FFG to take more of my hard earned money, we set up Arkham Horror again and plunged into the depths of the Cthulhu world. We were playing with Arkham, Dunwich, Kingsport (everything minus the board), King in Yellow, and Innsmouth.

First game:
Mandy, Norman, Ursula, and Wilson v Shub.

Apparently the game decided to punish us for not having played it in so long. The first three monsters out of the bag would devour us on fails or were Gugly in persuasion....joy. We ate two monster surges early which actually made the terror track increase slightly putting pressure on the investigators to complete individual stories. Then everything fell apart. Intermission for King in Yellow, terror track up by two. One personal story failed. Disturbing the Dead hits the table, and multiple 1 and 2s are rolled. Terror track shoots out of control. And needless to say, we all failed our personal stories. That's a good sign right?

We are so crippled and paralyzed by monsters at this point we cannot go get clues or jump through gates. The mythos deck was doing an excellent job of spreading the terror into all three towns where portals could open. The penultimate moment of the game happened as the terror track was at 9, due to the rumor, and we were one portal short of having Shub consume our souls. I flipped the mythos card, there was another portal and Shub awakened. Let carnage commence. We died...not for lack of trying. We had enough monster trophies to last through combat. We reduced the thing down to 12/48 hit points...and went through all of the green epic combat cards. Then the first red card said. YOU LOSE. It wasn't pretty.

REVENGE! VENDETTA! No game of mine thumps me that thoroughly without retribution!

Game 2:
Akachi, Jim, Patrice, and Trish v Cthulhu.

Against the big daddy himself, always a fun game. Well this game was the exact opposite of the previous game. Patrice runs around Arkham collecting clues and Akachi dives through the nearest portal. Trish, on her first encounter, gets two clue tokens and completes her story. Jim kills a ghost and a couple of other monster and completes his story. Akachi soon emerges from three other worlds and has sealed them all, with a small bit of help from Patrice, completing her story. At this point, I don't even think the game is trying. We have 3 seals on the board, all of us have succeeded at our personal stories, Jim and Trish are in other worlds with gobs of clue tokens, and Akachi is on the way to the yet another dimension.

This second game was won with ease. Cthulhu was sealed with only 6 doom tokens on his track. There were a couple of monster surges and a couple of tokens were removed. We were always well in control and monsters died left and right. My vengeance was complete!

I always find it interesting how the same game can swing so drastically in difficulty. The first game was just all sorts of terrible, while the second gave us the right combination of encounters and items you just blow old squid face to pieces. In any case, to prevent the game from missing us (and to save us 30 minutes of clean up) it remains set up waiting for us to return....and the addition of another small box expansion. I hate you FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two epic games, but aren't they all epic? Sounds like you had fun. I'm jealous I wasn't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thorne
United States
Valley Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, games of Arkham Horror can swing wildly towards either end of the spectrum based on what cards you draw, what monsters show up, where they show up, what investigators you have, etc. That variety is what keeps it as a favorite among my main gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.